'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
subfloor construction?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-05 1:45 PM
4 replies, 4519 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-04-05 9:21 AM (#23444)
Subject: subfloor construction?

Veteran

My fixer-upper currently has a particle board sheet installed as the LQ subfloor.  It was installed by the guy who tried to fix the trailer before he gave up and sold it to me. :-)  Is this OK to leave in, or should I pull it out and install plywood?  I thought plywood (maybe 3/4 inch?) with the underside well coated with polyurethane might last the longest.

Then board insulation, then OSB?  Any idea what thickness I need for the top layer of wood?  Eventually it will be covered with vinyl flooring with a rug on top.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-04-05 9:29 AM (#23445 - in reply to #23444)
Subject: RE: subfloor construction?

Elite Veteran

Particle board does not handle moisture as well as 3/4" sturdy floor plywood you can get from Lowes, Menards, or Home depot. So I would definetly replace the particle board, it will save you labor in the longrun in my experience.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-04-05 12:01 PM (#23457 - in reply to #23445)

Extreme Veteran

I definately agree with efaubert1. I'd replace the particle board and replace it with 3/4" plywood. I would consider getting the treated plywood and coating the bottom with polyurathane or even the sprayon bedliner like they put in truck beds. You can buy it in the spray can at Autozone or Oreilly's and I think Napa. I'd also coat the edges of the sheet you put in.
As far as insulation, I used 1/2" foam insulation and 3/8" OSB for my flooring (you can see it in my pics in my signature) but since your using plywood for the floor to begin with I really don't think it would be nessesary to insulate it since the wood would be a good insulator itself, but that's totally up to you.

Hope this helps.

Safe Riding,
Todd
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-05 1:34 PM (#23461 - in reply to #23444)

Extreme Veteran

Plywood is pretty inexpensive right now, at least at the Home Depot. Off hurricane season right now maybe?
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-04-05 1:45 PM (#23464 - in reply to #23444)

Veteran

Thanks guys!  I hate particle board, so I started ripping it out as soon as I read your posts.  The smaller piece is now out, it is glued with construction adhesive to the metal beams below so it's kinda hard to get out...  Picture attached.

Are there any easy ways to get construction adhesive to delaminate from particle board?  I had to use a jig saw, then crowbar, then chisel, then sharp chisel/knife.  Thought about scoring the next one with a skill saw set at the proper depth.  That might greatly reduce the amount of chiseling.

Ufff.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'