'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
All Alum or Steel Frame Alum Skin, Pros and Cons

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-03 11:28 AM
11 replies, 7721 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TWalkers
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-03-31 7:52 PM (#23275)
Subject: All Alum or Steel Frame Alum Skin, Pros and Cons

We are looking to purchase an 01 Sundowner Trail Blazer 3, 4 stall, 8' short wall w/factory LQ. This trailer looks real clean and well taken care of. It's just that I think it is a steel frame with Alum. skin. I don't know that much about these trailers and thought I would ask for some advice, either good or bad.

Thanks in advance

Tenn. Walkers
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-03-31 8:51 PM (#23277 - in reply to #23275)
Subject: RE: All Alum or Steel Frame Alum Skin, Pros and Cons

Veteran

Can't really the ups or downs on the sundowner, but we have two steel with alum skin. Both or ours are trail-ets, one a 1986 BP, newer is 2002 Gn. The BP is still in good condition and I really cannot find major problems with it has lived outside and under cover and has held up real well. Some surface rust on the inside from horses, little sanding and paint would look new inside. Had some welds break on the ramp recently and geting that fixed. But for 18 years old I really cannot complain about the durability. Figure the GN may be the last one we buy and thats why we stayed with the same company both tow well. Both of ours are set up as two horse straightloads for our large 17 hand horses.
Bill W
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 5:36 AM (#23284 - in reply to #23275)

Regular

skin.

Edited by Bill W 2005-12-22 6:31 PM
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 9:33 AM (#23285 - in reply to #23275)

Elite Veteran

Steel has higher flexural strength, aluminum has to be thicker to provide the same support, thus the flex is reduced. As stated previously aluminum craze cracks after awhile due to ductility issues. On the other hand steel rusts, and aluminum oxidizes. Kinda the same thing, but one is red and one is whitish. As for strength, I personaly feel steel is sturdier in a crumple type crash. ANd sue to the amount of aluminum they have to use to achieve the needed support you only gain a 20% weight savings over a steel trailer at the most. So if a steel framed trailer weighs 7000 pounds empty, the aluminum one is still going to weigh 5600 pounds minumum. My 1999 Bison Alumasport 3 horse, with 8 foot bearcat LQ weighs 6872 pounds empty, and loaded with 3 horses and gear it tilts the scale at 10,600. Even if It weighed 20% less empty I'd still be pushing 9300 pounds which requires the same size truck.
Zane
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 11:14 AM (#23293 - in reply to #23275)

TW, this steel/aluminum combo by Sundowner is the most torture-tested trailer on the American roads.  The original prototype was put on a test machine to test for stress and durability.  It was bolted to the machine,which acts like a paint-shaker, simulating pulling at 80 miles per hour, down a bumpy road !!! That original prototype has OVER  1 3/4 Million miles, and going strong !!  As previously stated, steel has better strength and memory than aluminum,thus, much better flexibility.  These trailers came out in 1986,and with a little care, are pretty hard to beat!!  The only problem you may encounter with an 01 model,may be peeling of the gray powder-coating on the frame. This was worse in some parts of the country--more than others.  Since 03, the trailers are completely undercoated as well as the hitch and breastplate being "Suncoated".  This is a black Rhino-liner type coating.  If you should have a problem with the powdercoat, we have found two great solutions.  Either spray-coat it with an automotive undercoating--sold in any hardware--or buy Krylon red-lead primer in spray cans--apply it--dries in 12 minutes--then apply Krylon medium-gray spray paint--again 12 minute drying time.  These both work extremely well.  If you haven,t guessed, I work for a Sundowner Dealer,  good luck,  Zane.
vegasorbust
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-01 1:12 PM (#23303 - in reply to #23275)

I had a 3 horse gn Sundowner for 4 years, last July I sold it and bought an all aluminum 4Star gn 3 horse.  I would never go back to a Sundowner.  I could tell immediately the difference in the ride.  The 4star was smooth and felt more solid.  I had a lot of problems with my Sundowners windows that wouldnt stay shut and it leaked in the living quarters and the telescoping dividers stopped working properly.  I have been more than pleased with the 4star.  Just my experience. 
oldgoalie
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-01 3:13 PM (#23312 - in reply to #23303)

New User

I am looking for a new trailer now (need a bigger one) and I wouldn't consider purchasing a steel/aluminum trailer.  Steel in contact with aluminum doesn't react well....electrolysis takes place, and it doesn't matter what you coat the steel with...eventually the coating wears off and the steel comes in contact with the aluminum (usually in places you can't see or reach).    I've seen it in the bus industry...the things rotted apart...manufacturers tried aluminum bodies to combat rust but they fell apart sooner than if they were all steel.  They switched back to all steel or all fiberglass bodies.  I've owned a Featherlite for the past 5 years with absolutely no problems...have heard of way too many problems with the Sundowners that are steel/aluminum.  I know Sundowner makes an all aluminum trailer, but my nearest dealer only sells the steel/aluminum models.  My .02, I'd go all aluminum.
TWalkers
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-01 5:32 PM (#23323 - in reply to #23275)

Thank You to all that have replied to my questions, I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on this subject.

Purchasing a trailer like this is difficult, so many decisions, and a bunch of money.

Thanks again for your help.
Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 5:36 PM (#23325 - in reply to #23275)

Please refer to a thread I started awhile back on this subject.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=134...

Do some more research. I don't think that the steel with aluminum skin is any more prone to rotting out.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 6:08 PM (#23327 - in reply to #23275)

Elite Veteran

With all deference to Zane's enthusiasm, if I were to buy a Sundowner with a steel frame, definitely pay to get the warranty transferred. The $150 transfer fee is cheaper than 4-6,000$ for a new frame installation.....

Horsey 1

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-04-02 8:33 AM (#23339 - in reply to #23327)

Extreme Veteran

I have an 84 Trailet which is a hybrid and with minimum care, it has lasted the 20 years I have had it.  The key is care, I have it checked every five years for rusting out and that is replaced as needed.  I liked it so much that I bought another Trailet just this year, a 94 with a DR.  Wanted to try the DR experience.

All trailers require maintenance -- can't just leave them out in the weather without some sort of work needing to be done on them. 

the only reason I have not gone all alum is the all alum floor.  I think that wood gives the horses a better ride, more giving, less conductive of heat.  And I worry about pitting, urine and also some people on the list have reported that the floors in older trailers are warped from where the horses are always standing.  Don't know if that could be a future problem, but in most cases I can change the wood floor out myself.

Jbsny

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-03 11:28 AM (#23352 - in reply to #23275)

Veteran

My husband is a welder and when we were looking for a new trailer, no way   would he consider a aluminum with steel frame. All aluminum for us. Although we could have gotten by cheaper, we went with a featherlite aluminum. He said it does not matter what you coat the steel with it will eventually rust. He said the steel frame is probably stronger than the aluminum one. I guess it is just a matter of preference and money and what you really want. I agree also that no matter what kind of trailer it is, you still have to put a lot of care into the upkeep of one. Debbie

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)