'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Another LQ question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-02 1:33 PM
9 replies, 5427 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Trail Rider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-03-29 12:17 PM (#23136)
Subject: Another LQ question

My question is for all you brave souls that have done your own LQ. Have any of you figured out how much you saved compared to having it done by a company. I ask this because I working on my list of all the other projects that need to be done this summer and if I want to have any time to go riding I don’t think there is enough time in the day to do it all. I don’t want to be camping with insulation falling from the ceiling while I am trying to sleep so now I am wondering if it isn’t worth the extra money have someone else do it. I am just looking to insulated it, have a refrigerator, sink and if I am lucky a shower. And yes I know I should have been working on it in the winter but hibernation mode took over and that was that. Any input would be appreciatedThanks Karen
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-03-29 1:00 PM (#23138 - in reply to #23136)
Subject: RE: Another LQ question

Extreme Veteran

Well if I had bought my trailer with the LQ it would have cost me about $18,000 (Canadian dollars) more... but it also would have been fancier than what I'm doing myself. But what I'm doing is all that I need and we'll be happy with it. I'm expecting to spend around $1500 to $2000 doing it myself (appliances included)... I don't even want to think about how much my time would have been worth... but I enjoy the work for the most part so I don't mind doing it.

If I were you I'd think about whether it can wait (can you do it next winter maybe) and how much your time is worth and what you want done. Maybe you can send it out to have the basics done - electrics, plumbing, insulation and paneling so the trailer is useable and then pick away at the extras yourself.

Bill W
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-03-29 5:32 PM (#23153 - in reply to #23136)

Regular

album/58950913TVmMJM

Edited by Bill W 2005-12-22 6:32 PM
Cavalryman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-03-29 5:38 PM (#23154 - in reply to #23136)

I think I saved a lot of cash doing things myself.  It doesn't take that much time on weekends if you dedicate your time to working and make your material purchases during the week.  Basic knowledge of AC/DC and mechanical structure common sense will get you through most projects.

I would think that you have 4 to 6 weekends in MI prior to good weather and a season start to equestrian activities.  I usually determine my needs and do a basic installation before totally finishing the work.  A short test drive or weekend will then provide final finishing touch requirements.

QHHUS
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-03-30 8:02 AM (#23169 - in reply to #23136)

The conversion company wanted $13K to do a basic LQ package in my 6 ft sw trailer.   We have about $5,000 in it doing it ourselves.   Pretty good savings and its going to be every bit as nice!

Trail Rider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-03-30 1:51 PM (#23193 - in reply to #23136)

Thanks for your replies. Maybe the money I will save will be enough of a motivator to keep me going. I guess I got a little scared when Bill W. said he had over 100 hrs into his. Just a warning though I’ll probably be back asking more questions.Thanks againKaren
Bill W
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-03-30 4:17 PM (#23204 - in reply to #23136)

Regular

Edited by Bill W 2005-12-22 6:32 PM
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-03-30 4:54 PM (#23209 - in reply to #23136)

Extreme Veteran

FYI - I got a quote on adding a thru door to my DR and the dealer will install it for $600 (Can $) - I will not be tackling that one myself... worth the $600 to have it done IMO
Trail Rider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-03-31 7:10 AM (#23234 - in reply to #23136)

Nope don't plan on cutting a hole for a door. Probably the scariest thing would be cutting the hole to vent a refrigerator. I do plan on having help from my fiance (anyone want to take bets we’ll still be engaged when we’re through LOL) and a neighbor who is a certified RV mechanic. I am hoping he can help with the wiring and plumbing. Maybe the hardest part will be just getting started.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-04-02 1:33 PM (#23344 - in reply to #23136)

Veteran

I had checked with someone to insulate my trailer and put paneling up one time and the quote was 3k.   I was thinking along 1500.00.   Anyways we did that ourselves and then added a vanity with a sink and couch that folds down into a bed.   Probably got 15oo. into so far.  Bought a 85 slide in pickup camper for the appliances for 500.00 which we haven't put any the stuff in yet.   Only bad thing is that we had put it on the dealers lot that we bought the trailer from and with it insulated and paneled and sink and couch,  we didn't get any interest at a price of 10k.   dropped it to 9k still no interest.   The dealer had some new trailers of the same brand but not as big in the dressing room and not as many options.  Mine is a 98 steel gn 3 h titan renegrade III.    It seemed like no one wanted to pay for the extra stuff in it.   They probably only wanted to pay for what it would be worth without the stuff.   Just thought I let you know that even if you do it your self and try to sell that it may not increase the value of your trailer for you may end up just selling it for what it would be worth without it being finished.   

We have been debating about adding some cabinets and appliances in it for that reason.   If we figure we are gonna keep the trailer for some time yet then we wil probably install more stuff but if we decide to get a different trailer then probably not.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)