'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wintec Western Saddles - thoughts?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-09 11:23 PM
8 replies, 4831 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-03-05 7:46 AM (#21869)
Subject: Wintec Western Saddles - thoughts?

Regular

I'm thinking about buying a Wintec Western Saddle for my daughter.  She'll needs a 14" now but will probably outgrow it in about 2 years.  I just bought her a show saddle and not having a lot of luck finding a decent quality used non-show saddle.  I've heard the Wintec's are a nice alternative for kids, as they're lightweight, easy to handle and pretty low-maintenance.

Any experience with these?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytails
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-03-05 8:00 AM (#21871 - in reply to #21869)
Subject: RE: Wintec Western Saddles - thoughts?

Regular

Ive heard unhappy things about the wintec western saddles- the english models are loved by many. I personally dont like fabric saddles with plastic trees, but they are light weight and cheap.

Ive known several people who really liked their "bighorn" combo leather/fabic saddles. the trees in the bighorn saddles are known to be a good tree. and the bighorns seem to keep their value compared to the wintec western-well at least around here-I guess it all depends on what your local tack store sells the most!Gee, at least you are getting her a saddle- I had to ride bareback for 10 years.

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-03-05 8:03 AM (#21872 - in reply to #21869)

Regular

That's what I use when I trail ride and yes, they are very easy to handle and quite comfortable. They come in a regular or extra wide tree, so you can find one to fit most horse body types.  I really can't think of anything negative to say about them. They are on e-bay quite often, so you may want to look there to get a great deal. Good luck and Happy Trails
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-05 8:08 AM (#21873 - in reply to #21869)

Extreme Veteran

I have a Fabtron saddle which I absolutely love. It is also a synthetic saddle. The seat, cantle, pommel are leather but the stirrups, fenders and skirt are nylon/cordura.

I love them for being lightweight and easy to clean plus super comfy.

grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-03-05 9:20 AM (#21877 - in reply to #21872)

Regular

Do you need to use nylon cinch straps on the Wintec's.  It seem that I read when the English models first came out that if you use leather accessories it would cause some sort of "breakdown" of the synthetic materials.  I'm not a big fan of nylon cinch straps - sent a horse to a trainer once who used them, and they wore sores on the horse.

Thanks for the feedback!!

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-05 10:25 AM (#21880 - in reply to #21877)

Elite Veteran

I looked at Wintec and decided to buy Abetta instead. I got an Arabian Abetta for my wife and her little Arab gelding since he is a small horse. The Arabian cut fit him better than a saddle with a full skirt. My wife loves the saddle and so does the horse. Happy trails.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-06 5:17 PM (#21924 - in reply to #21877)

Expert

I have always used nylon cinches and have never had a horse burned by one.  Just make sure that you don't overtighten it.  Its very easy to do because the nylon "slides" much easier than leather. 

I have an Abetta saddle that I use for my 9 year old and it works great.  She has no problem handeling it because it is so light.  And my horse knows the difference, when I put my saddle on she turns her head and gives me a funny look.

packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-03-24 12:25 PM (#22963 - in reply to #21869)

Veteran

I purchased a Wintec Western Saddle when they first came out and I still own and use it at times. This saddle is NOT a cordura saddle, but it is similar to the "beta" form of biothane, and has leather only for a horn wrap and stirrup "footbeds". I would think that leather latigos would be okay, but I have kept the origianal equipment with the addition of a neoprene cinch.

The good news is that it weighs 17 pounds and comes fully (double) rigged with front and back dees. I think it would make an excellent saddle for a child or small woman who rode short duration or arena workouts. Hey it even fits my mules!

The only bad news I have found is that it doesn't appear to wear well and gets a  little ugly after getting scratched or heavy wear. I did some find that shoe polish could touch up some of the worst scratches fairly well.

rikki
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-09 11:23 PM (#23630 - in reply to #21869)

New User

i know it might sound cheesy but if you are worried about having to buy a saddle in a couple years and want to keep things on the cheaper side check out ebay. I have seen some nice saddles. this is what i am doing because i have 9 year old twin sons and you know how fast boys at this age grow
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)