'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What would you do?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-05-13 7:55 AM
5 replies, 1519 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Damjanae
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2021-05-11 6:17 PM (#173690)
Subject: What would you do?

New User

A friend just bought a 2021 horse trailer with LQ, slide, stock back end, The whole shebang! It is from a reputable company in the US but we are located in Ontario, Canada.

The trailer just arrived from the dealership.

It had been ordered with a 16 foot stock back end as they want to haul horses and an ATV. They asked for a floating cut gate so that they would be able to adjust the size of the horse area as needed. They also asked for a small sliding door in the cut gate in case an extra exit was needed.

The issue: the cut gate does not swing open.

This renders it useless to put the ATV in the front. There are many issues with this.

Should they have known that the cut gate would not swing open?
I feel as though that is standard and not an extra they should have specifically asked for.

I am wondering what should be done in this situation.

Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2021-05-11 7:36 PM (#173691 - in reply to #173690)
Subject: RE: What would you do?

Expert

Did adding the "small sliding door" create the issue ? I can see it causing a structural problem in a swinging gate. (supported from only one side)
Damjanae
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2021-05-11 8:15 PM (#173692 - in reply to #173690)

New User

I am assuming that the sliding door caused the issue but I would have thought that the dealership would have made that known. Swinging was more important than the escape door.
They were aware of what it was to be used for and with no swing option there is no way to use it for that purpose. The sliding door within the cut gate is too small for most horses to pass through it.
As I am looking now, I do not see a sliding door in the floating cut gate of this brand. I have not looked Into the regular cut gate without the floating option to see what they typically look like.

However as I look quickly, Featherlight and Sooner both have a small sliding door in the cut gate of their “floating cut gate”. So it is possible.

I wish the sales lady had mentioned that this would pose a problem for xx reason
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2021-05-12 7:11 AM (#173693 - in reply to #173690)

Elite Veteran

I might be so bold as to guess the sales lady didn't know. Manufacturers have a talent for taking a non routine option- like this, and muffing it up to what you might think it should be. You don't mention the manufacturer, but if they aren't "big" in stock trailers, then they may not really be familair with what folks think is standard. And in an 8'wide trailer, an adjustable gate causes issues for some manufacturers. So there may have been lots of opportunities for issues getting what you want. But- it should all be fixable, just depends on who pays for it. 
Damjanae
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2021-05-13 7:50 AM (#173694 - in reply to #173693)

New User

I was aiming for discretion but the manufacturer is Merhow. I have seen several of their stock trailers listed for sale with floating cut gates and they all swing open as well as float to adjust box size.
Damjanae
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2021-05-13 7:55 AM (#173695 - in reply to #173690)

New User

Edited by Damjanae 2021-05-13 8:01 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'