'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Jamco Trailer Weights?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-04-20 11:38 AM
2 replies, 1560 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

joybell
Reg. Apr 2021
Posted 2021-04-18 8:09 AM (#173630)
Subject: Jamco Trailer Weights?

I just purchased a new Jamco 14' bumper pull trailer, slant load, with a GVWR of 10,400 lbs all aluminum
It will replace my 13' bumper pull Moritz steel trailer, slant load, with a GVWR of 9,950 lbs

The Jamco is built differently than other all aluminum trailers. I has tongue and groove plank walls.

I am concerned about the tongue weight because of the increased length (1 foot) and height (9 inches), and the placement of the first stall which puts the horse's front end about three feet in front of the front axle.

I would love to load up my nice big tackroom, but????

My truck is a V8 Toyota Tundra 4.3 rear axle GVWR 7,100 lbs, payload only 1,425 lbs
My model has a combined rating GCWR (with trailer and cargo, truck and cargo) of 16,000 lbs
The TWR is 10,000 lbs of which the manual states the tongue weight should be no more than 9-11% of that

I use a weight distribution hitch (Fastway Trunnion) rated at 10,000 lbs.

I have not been able to get any empty trailer weights or tongue weights out of the Jamco dealer. It is apparently a big secret. I don't have a weigh station anywhere nearby. I am hoping someone on this forum can help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2021-04-18 5:05 PM (#173634 - in reply to #173630)
Subject: RE: Jamco Trailer Weights?

Veteran

You really need to weigh the trailer to know for sure. Ever trailer is individual as are their weights. You could also call Jamco directly with the VIN number.

Find a local feed store that mills their own feed, a quarry, farmer’s co-op, truck stop etc. and weigh it. That way you know with 100% certainty!

Edited by Cutter1999 2021-04-18 5:08 PM
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2021-04-20 11:38 AM (#173638 - in reply to #173630)
Subject: RE: Jamco Trailer Weights?

Elite Veteran

What he said- take it to get it weighed. I don't believe Jamco weighed trailers, but rather weighed a few, and applied that number across the board (and many maufacturers do this). And I'm really certain they didn't get a tongue weight if they did weigh it. The trailer weights everyone asks for aren't secrets, they just generally aren't really known with much accuracy.

Also- using a WD hitch, you are shifting a portion of the tongue weight to the truck's front axle (which is good). Frankly- I think you need to load the horse and regular tack, and then take it to get weighed to see how much more you might can carry on each axle. You will need a weight of each of the truck's axles, and the trailer's axles (together

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)