'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking at a Brenderup, but have questions/concerns

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-03-29 8:35 PM
10 replies, 4055 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Hollyhock
Reg. Mar 2021
Posted 2021-03-21 9:17 AM (#173550)
Subject: Looking at a Brenderup, but have questions/concerns

New User

Hello, I currently have a Nissan xterra with a V6 engine and maximum tow capacity of 5000lbs & max tongue weight of 500lbs. I had resigned myself to spending the next 2 years saving for a truck, and then another year for a trailer.

Recently, I found out about Brenderup trailers. It seems like they would be an ideal option that would let me keep my current vehicle. I'm only going to be hauling 50 miles (at most) over relatively flat terrain, and my mare is a little bitty thing (900lbs and 14.2 on a tall day)

There is a 2005 Baron TC for sale near my home, I think it looks pretty well cared for? The only concern I have is it looks like there's a crack in the door.

I'm wondering how much of an issue that would be likely to be in terms of the difficulty/urgency of repairing it, as well as any thoughts on Brenderups in general?

Thank you so much for any help/advice! Here are pictures of the trailer in question: http://imgur.com/a/0MEWX4B

Edited by Hollyhock 2021-03-21 9:19 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HappyTrailsTrailers
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2021-03-22 5:29 AM (#173552 - in reply to #173550)
Subject: RE: Looking at a Brenderup, but have questions/concerns

Hello
Ask if this model is FRP ( birch plywood walls with fiberglass coating ) OR phenolic wall panels 

IF FRP I would run as it rots from the inside out  , if any crack or damage allows moisture into the wall panel

you will want to pay special attention to the floor, they are know for a shortish lifespan if birch as was typical

notice the rear ramp latch on the left looks different and the wall is bowed out compared to  the other side

structurally the rear butt bar actuall helps hold the trailer rear end together to keep if from flexing too much or bowing out
that may be a concern - this may or may not be a stress fracture

Someone should look at this trailer for you in person to evaluate

Risa

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2021-03-22 7:02 AM (#173554 - in reply to #173550)

Elite Veteran

What she said- above! :)   Also- don't bother asking what the walls are made of, they probably won't know. I see trailers listed on here all the time as 7'6" tall that are clearly 7'. All-aluminum when I'm looking at the steel frame. And this comes as much from some dealers as well as individuals. One must be an educated buyer, or trust the seller.  
Gretasmom
Reg. Aug 2019
Posted 2021-03-22 2:30 PM (#173555 - in reply to #173550)

New User

I am actually going to list my 2005 Baron TC for sale. Although I replaced the floor several years ago and added structure underneath since our plywood is smaller, the floor needs replacing again. The trailer itself is in very good condition. It had new wheels and tires a few years ago as well. I am in Jupiter, Florida. Most vehicles could very easily tow this trailer.
Gretasmom
Reg. Aug 2019
Posted 2021-03-22 2:34 PM (#173556 - in reply to #173550)

New User

This is my Brenderup needing a floor. Is is Resin, not FRP
Gretasmom
Reg. Aug 2019
Posted 2021-03-22 2:37 PM (#173557 - in reply to #173550)

New User

couldn't do the attachments for same reason
Hollyhock
Reg. Mar 2021
Posted 2021-03-22 5:38 PM (#173559 - in reply to #173552)

New User

Thank you for your help!

Seller apparently traded a horse for the trailer, and just didn't seem to know much at all about it. Said they used it twice and otherwise it's been sitting.

From what I could find online, the walls are phenolic. Looking in person, the metal on the ramp was bent near the crack, but was otherwise straight looking everywhere else (at least to a know nothing observer).

It worries me this trailer has just been sitting uncovered/outside. Not sure if that's really common or not, but paired with the seller knowing so little about it...Thinking I'll wait and see if I can find a lighter bup model that's had more regular use/maintenance.
bettyk
Reg. Mar 2018
Posted 2021-03-26 6:51 PM (#173568 - in reply to #173550)

New User

I just posted my ad for a Fautras trailer which is kind of the French version of the Brenderup. It has many features that are superior to the Brenderup (I have had a Brenderup Baron), and the floor has a lifetime warranty that it will never rot. The ad includes a link to a YouTube video that pretty well describes the trailer.

Edited by bettyk 2021-03-26 6:53 PM
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2021-03-28 6:18 AM (#173572 - in reply to #173550)

Elite Veteran

Like hauling your horses in a paper cup. Believe me, if you had ever been involved in an accident with a trailer... it is horrible. We are finallty seeing clear after an accident that almost killed us and our two horses in Nov.'20... and the only reason they survived being trapped for three hours in an overturned trailer is because it was well constructed... it held together until the jaws of life extricated them... 
bettyk
Reg. Mar 2018
Posted 2021-03-29 7:46 AM (#173576 - in reply to #173550)

New User

Sorry you had a bad trailering experience. The Fautras is NOT a paper cup and is quite well constructed--in fact, safer than most trailers.
cupid
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2021-03-29 8:35 PM (#173583 - in reply to #173550)

I bought my Brenderup Royal HB in 2000, and I'm pretty sure any Royal or Baron models made then or later are the SPC walls. I would NOT worry about it being stored outside. Mine was for about 17 years before I sold it. I towed it with a Mercury Cougar at first (tow capacity 2000 lb) with only one horse, then with 2 Explorers.

The only thing that looked like a crack to me is on the ramp. I'd bet the white coating is cracked, no idea how significant that could be. I think there is wood inside the ramp.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)