'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New Ford 7.3L gas vs diesel

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-04-05 1:30 PM
2 replies, 1813 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ratgirl
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2021-02-03 7:33 AM (#173467)
Subject: New Ford 7.3L gas vs diesel

New User

Hi,  if there is a post already about this, I apologize, but I cannot find!    We have pulled gooseneck LQ trailers for years, and always w/ a diesel - both Ford and GM.  Currently we have a 14,000 lb GVWR 3H LQ trailer, and a 3500 2019 GMC.    But my husband is loving the new camera systems on the trailer tow packages, so he is actively looking at the the 2021's and in particular the Ford F350.  

The question is, do we need to continue spending the extra 10k on the diesel engines, or will the new Ford 7.3L V8 gas engine work just fine?    We actually only pull and use the big trailer about 5-6 times/ year.  If we used the LQ trailer more oftern, we probably wouldn't even consider the gas, due to the better mpg and knowing you have the massive horsepower ( no pun intended) w/ the diesel.   HOWEVER,   All other times the truck is used to run errands or pull small trailers with hay, or even our small 2H gooseneck 4Star trailer ( not sure GVWR, maybe 7000 max, has just a dressing room).

Any thoughts out there??

thanks so much!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2021-02-04 6:34 AM (#173469 - in reply to #173467)
Subject: RE: New Ford 7.3L gas vs diesel

Elite Veteran

You mention your LQ is 14,000 GVWR, but you don't mention size or width. But with that, it likely has 7K axles and thus isn't huge. With that, I'd really consider the gas burner if I were you. I've had customers with the "old" ford gas engine in the F-250s and 7' wide trailers and they were very happy. The feedback on some of the truck forums has been positive about the new gasser. One item to remember, is you drive it different. The gas engines make power at a higher RPM than you are used to with the diesel. So don't freak out when you've downshifted pulling a hill and the engine ends up at 4500 RPM, that's just the way it works. Long term maintenance on the diesels is getting expensive, and to meet emissions the new dioesels are built to work, and work hard. Loafing around and idling does unkind things to the Diesel Particulate Filter as it won't get hot enough to function. All of this, just my humble opinion.   
BS Hauler
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2021-04-05 1:30 PM (#173594 - in reply to #173467)
Subject: RE: New Ford 7.3L gas vs diesel

Regular

I have 4 Ford diesels in the family.  02- 7.3, 3- 05 to 07 6.0's.    Have never had a problem with any of them really.   But the way things look going forward I would buy the 7.3 gas in a heartbeat.   I think the greenies want to get rid of diesel fuel in the future and are going to accomplish it thru making diesel engines really expensive to own and maintain in the future.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)