'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Any problems with slide outs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2020-09-28 9:54 AM
2 replies, 1631 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Llane1965
Reg. Sep 2020
Posted 2020-09-25 9:51 PM (#173272)
Subject: Any problems with slide outs

New User

Hi,
I'm looking at LQ trailers and trying to decide if I should go with a slide out for more room or stay with the standard, non slide out width of the trailer.

My question, how reliable are the slide outs at horse show facilities where the ground can sometimes be uneven? Is this an issue or has it been resolved in recent years.

Has anyone had any problems with them?

How reliable are the slide outs in general?

Again, just trying to decide if I should forego the slide out. So, I don't have another thing that may not work great to deal with.

Thank you
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2020-09-28 4:53 AM (#173274 - in reply to #173272)
Subject: RE: Any problems with slide outs

Veteran

Llane1965 - I am going to jump in here as no one has repsonded yet.  I am also interested in the responses to your post as well. 

This is the limited info I have.  There are two types of drive mechanisims for slides: electric motors and hydraulic.  Some slides are flush with the floor and some are raised approx 6".  From what I have heard the hydraulic slides are better because they don't use a cable and pulley system.  
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2020-09-28 9:54 AM (#173275 - in reply to #173272)
Subject: RE: Any problems with slide outs

Elite Veteran

Well, for some reason it won't let me change my font size today... Sorry.

So- I drop by a RV/trailer shop a lot and have been watching slideouts for years. To the OP post about cable/hydraulic, there are actually other types as well. But I'm not sure that is all the issues. From what I have seen, a slideout can certainly have more maintenance and wear than most any other part of the trailer. I've not heard about issues at show grounds. If your trailer flexes that much, you probably have a problem elsewhere.

My opinion- if floorspace is important to you, get a slideout. But be very aware you have a box that seals inside & out, and moves in and out every time you push the button. There's just a lot more moving and wear parts there than a basic aluminum wall. And you still have a hole in the wall, so the potential for an occasional water intrusion is strong. Just depends on how the wind was blowing. Accept it.

More opinion- if you want the most maintenance and troublefree option, skip the slide. Your choice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)