'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ want to buy first one please advise

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2020-09-23 6:02 AM
5 replies, 2101 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cavesrus
Reg. Sep 2020
Posted 2020-09-19 8:34 PM (#173257)
Subject: LQ want to buy first one please advise

New User

hello all,

Ty first off for any advise. i started with new truck. ram 2020 D SRW 3500 1ton with air bags etc for pulling. What would u recommend for us to get with siz etc. most sale people say i can pull almost any lq trailer. We only really need a 2h trailer. but mostly seee 3h out there. we are looking for something with 3 bed spots. my wife and i and 2 girls 10 12. they will grow up and not like sleeping with each other at some point.

What do you recommend for makes etc. new or used. size. anything to stay away from. would prob like used over new. but the smc are not to horrible priced. at 60k. we will be using it for going to aqha horse shows and local shows as well. we are nwe to all of this and any help is app.

also if anyone knows of a app or something to break down cost over time. to see what my break even point is that would be cool if not i can do it in exel

ty aaron
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2020-09-19 11:30 PM (#173258 - in reply to #173257)
Subject: RE: LQ want to buy first one please advise

Veteran

You said "ram 2020 D SRW 3500 1ton"

I assume the "D" means the 6.7 litre diesel engine. In order to understand what actual truck you have, let us know what you have for Cab (Reg, Crew, Mega), Box (6' 4" or 8'), Drive (4x2 or 4x4), Transmission (68RFE or AISEN) and GVWR.

To be safe (and legal), the GVWR should NEVER be exceeded ... sorry, but airbags don't change the GVWR.

Keep in mind that your Payload Capacity = GVWR - Base Weight. And that GAWR's, GVWR, GCWR and tire load rating should never be exceeded.

For example, if your truck is a 6.7 Diesel, Crew Cab, 8 ft box, 4x4 with a 68RFE transmission, you would have a Payload Capacity of 4490 lbs ... which means that when you load your truck down with 4490 lbs you have reached your GVWR. That payload capacity would consist of passenger weights (I believe that typically a 175 lb driver is included in the base weight) plus any other cargo that is stored in the truck or the truck box PLUS any weight that is being carried by your gooseneck hitch which I will call Pin Weight.

For the sake of this example, lets assume that you have 500 lbs of passengers, 50 lbs of cab cargo, 200 lbs of box cargo and a 50 lb hitch plate which totals 800 lbs. The Payload Capacity remaining for your trailer pin weight would be 4490 - 800 = 3690 lbs. This means that with 3690 lbs of pin weight your truck would be loaded to 100% of the GVWR. To do a complete analysis, you would also have to consider the front and rear axle ratings ... but usually when pulling a LQ trailer, you GVWR become the limiting factor.

So your truck is capable at 100% of your GVWR to handle a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer with 3690 lbs of Pin Weight.

Living Quarter gooseneck trailers are generally fairly pin heavy with "typically" 25 to 30% of the total loaded trailer weight on the goose neck hitch (pin weight). So your capacity of 3690 lbs results in an actual loaded trailer weight ranging from 12,300 (3690 / 30%) to 14,760 lbs (3690 / 25%).

Keep in mind that the Maximum Towing Capacity of this example truck is rated at 20,020 lbs and it has a GCWR of 28,300 lbs. But a truck (like a chain) is only as strong as it weakest link ... and in this case with a heavily loaded pin weight of a LQ trailer, the weakest link becomes the GVWR rating of your truck.

So you are looking for advice on what size of trailer to purchase? My advice is to only consider trailers that will not overload the GVWR of your truck. Once you find a trailer you like, you are best to perform a test pull of the trailer and get the actual weights over a certified truck scale to ensure that you are in the safe loading ratings of your truck.

You said: "most sale people say i can pull almost any lq trailer"

My comment: I hope you got that in writing as you would be very much truck limited with any of the bigger living quarter trailers with your SRW truck. It is unfortunate, but many "truck sales people" do not understand what they are selling.

You also need to be aware of limited box to trailer clearance issues with many of the new trucks. See this recent post for more information: https://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22175...
cavesrus
Reg. Sep 2020
Posted 2020-09-20 7:13 AM (#173259 - in reply to #173258)

New User

ThreeCW - 2020-09-19 11:30 PM

You said "ram 2020 D SRW 3500 1ton"

I assume the "D" means the 6.7 litre diesel engine. In order to understand what actual truck you have, let us know what you have for Cab (Reg, Crew, Mega), Box (6' 4" or 8'), Drive (4x2 or 4x4), Transmission (68RFE or AISEN) and GVWR.

To be safe (and legal), the GVWR should NEVER be exceeded ... sorry, but airbags don't change the GVWR.

Keep in mind that your Payload Capacity = GVWR - Base Weight. And that GAWR's, GVWR, GCWR and tire load rating should never be exceeded.

For example, if your truck is a 6.7 Diesel, Crew Cab, 8 ft box, 4x4 with a 68RFE transmission, you would have a Payload Capacity of 4490 lbs ... which means that when you load your truck down with 4490 lbs you have reached your GVWR. That payload capacity would consist of passenger weights (I believe that typically a 175 lb driver is included in the base weight) plus any other cargo that is stored in the truck or the truck box PLUS any weight that is being carried by your gooseneck hitch which I will call Pin Weight.

For the sake of this example, lets assume that you have 500 lbs of passengers, 50 lbs of cab cargo, 200 lbs of box cargo and a 50 lb hitch plate which totals 800 lbs. The Payload Capacity remaining for your trailer pin weight would be 4490 - 800 = 3690 lbs. This means that with 3690 lbs of pin weight your truck would be loaded to 100% of the GVWR. To do a complete analysis, you would also have to consider the front and rear axle ratings ... but usually when pulling a LQ trailer, you GVWR become the limiting factor.

So your truck is capable at 100% of your GVWR to handle a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer with 3690 lbs of Pin Weight.

Living Quarter gooseneck trailers are generally fairly pin heavy with "typically" 25 to 30% of the total loaded trailer weight on the goose neck hitch (pin weight). So your capacity of 3690 lbs results in an actual loaded trailer weight ranging from 12,300 (3690 / 30%) to 14,760 lbs (3690 / 25%).

Keep in mind that the Maximum Towing Capacity of this example truck is rated at 20,020 lbs and it has a GCWR of 28,300 lbs. But a truck (like a chain) is only as strong as it weakest link ... and in this case with a heavily loaded pin weight of a LQ trailer, the weakest link becomes the GVWR rating of your truck.

So you are looking for advice on what size of trailer to purchase? My advice is to only consider trailers that will not overload the GVWR of your truck. Once you find a trailer you like, you are best to perform a test pull of the trailer and get the actual weights over a certified truck scale to ensure that you are in the safe loading ratings of your truck.

You said: "most sale people say i can pull almost any lq trailer"

My comment: I hope you got that in writing as you would be very much truck limited with any of the bigger living quarter trailers with your SRW truck. It is unfortunate, but many "truck sales people" do not understand what they are selling.

You also need to be aware of limited box to trailer clearance issues with many of the new trucks. See this recent post for more information: https://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22175...

ty for info

yes the 6.7 diesel with crew cab 6'4" box 4x4 aisen. i want to say gvrw is 4780 i thought i had a pic on phone. but i dont. i will take one today.

im 99% 24000 tow weight or was over that.

i thought i read that pin weight would be less with horses in back?
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2020-09-20 9:17 PM (#173260 - in reply to #173257)

Veteran

Your 6.7 L, crew, 6.4 ft box, 4x4, Aisen has the following ratings:
Maximum Payload Rating = 4100 lbs
Maximum Towing Rating = 23,660 lbs
GVWR = 11,500 lbs

A truck is like a chain ... its capacity is determined by its weakest link ... which in the case of a LQ trailer where a good portion of the weight is on the pin (gooseneck hitch), the GVWR and the Maximum Payload become the limiting ratings. And the Maximum Towing Rating becomes a meaningless number.

I will give you some real numbers from our 2006 Hart 3 Horse x 13 ft LQ x 8 ft wide trailer based on actual weigh scale readings.

With our trailer empty (no belongings, no tack, no horses, no beer in the fridge):
Total Trailer Weight = 11,476 lbs
Weight on Axles = 7577 lbs
Weight on the Pin = 3899 lbs (which equals 3899/11,476 = 34% of the total trailer weight)

With our trailer loaded to go camping, (all belongings, full tack, 2 horses, water tank full, 7 panels, 2 bales of hay, 300 lbs of firewood, and beer in the fridge):
Total Trailer Weight = 16,718 lbs (an additional 5242 lbs over the empty trailer weight)
Weight on Axles = 12,291 lbs
Weight on the Pin = 4405 lbs (which equals 4405/16,718 = 26% of the total trailer weight)

We pull this trailer with a 2011 F350 DRW 6.7 L Diesel with a 13,300 lb GVWR ... at the loaded weight, we are running at 100% of the truck GVWR. The maximum trailer towing rating of our truck is 21,300 lbs ... with our fully loaded trailer we are only at 78% of the trailer towing rating, but since we are at 100% of the GVWR, we can not tow a trailer heavier than our 16,718 lb loaded weight ... and the trailer towing rating becomes meaningless.

When you are are trailer shopping, you will want to keep your trucks rating limits in mind (especially GVWR and Payload Capacity) to safely (and legally) go down the road.
Steve-O
Reg. Mar 2016
Posted 2020-09-23 5:56 AM (#173262 - in reply to #173257)

Veteran

Go with a 3 horse,  you will appreciate the extra room for camping supplies and still be able to haul 3 when needed.    
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2020-09-23 6:02 AM (#173263 - in reply to #173257)

Elite Veteran

Absolutely- If you plan to haul 2 horses, buy a 3 horse. First stall is for feed, hay, chairs, table, and all the bigger stuff. That's why you aren't finding 2 horse LQs out there, is few folks only haul 1 horse. And besides, virtuallly no price difference and because of the holding tanks the wheelbase is the same so the drive night.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)