'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Weight distribution/sway control hitch with aluminium trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2020-07-10 7:22 AM
5 replies, 2177 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Moth
Reg. Jul 2020
Posted 2020-07-06 9:59 PM (#173138)
Subject: Weight distribution/sway control hitch with aluminium trailer

It's been brought to my attention that I may not be able to use a weight distribution/sway control hitch with my aluminum framed Sundowner 2 horse trailer. Does anyone have experience with this dilema?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2020-07-07 6:26 AM (#173140 - in reply to #173138)
Subject: RE: Weight distribution/sway control hitch with aluminium trailer

Elite Veteran

I can't say that we have installed a lot of them, but I definitely know that we have done some. Unlike campers that generally have an open tongue of steel, your newer Sundowners will have aluminum tongue material which will be trimmed out with a step/plate on top. You will have to cut holes in this plate for the saddles to mount. But it isn't really a large ordeal, but not a strictly bolt on job either.
Moth
Reg. Jul 2020
Posted 2020-07-07 9:57 AM (#173141 - in reply to #173140)

RT,

Thanks for your reply. What style/brand of weight distribution/anti sway hitch would you recommend for an all aluminum Sundowner trailer" Mine is the Charter TR SE. I've sent Andersen hitches an email asking for quidance. Sundowner had no helpful input @ all. 

Daniel
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2020-07-08 11:49 AM (#173143 - in reply to #173138)

Elite Veteran

There just aren't a lot of horse trailer folks that use a w/d hitch. And when they are used, that's generally a dealer installed andset up type of thing. So you're right, the mfg generally doesn't have much part in it.

In your case, the warmblood style trailer like a Charter will benefit from one, as the tongue weight is a bit heavier. Over the years I've seen many hitch brands used, and they all do a good job dealing with the weight transfer.

I've not personally used one, but the equal-i-zer hitch sure looks interesting. You might want to check them out.

RTSmith
Moth
Reg. Jul 2020
Posted 2020-07-09 12:39 PM (#173148 - in reply to #173138)

Thanks RT. I've actually never seen a WD hitch on a horse trailer as a matter of fact- perhaps for good reason. I've never had an issue hauling the Sundowner Charter SE but the Mrs feels otherwise so I'm looking into the issue. I dont like the ppossibilty of damaging the trailer by using one.

Cheers,

Daniel
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2020-07-10 7:22 AM (#173149 - in reply to #173138)

Elite Veteran

The folks that I know that use one, will not go without again. There was a dealer in south Florida (recently retired) for decades that put them on most everything she sold. With sensible installation, I can't see how you'd damage your trailer.

You may not know, but almost all regular campers are built on a frame that is purchased from someone like Lippert. So since they are all about the same, it is easy to have a standard w/d hitch for them mount. Of course horse trailer mfg make their own necks & frames. And all different. So like everything else in this industry, we get custom. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)