'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer brands

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2020-08-19 6:34 PM
5 replies, 3157 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2020-06-21 10:51 AM (#173120)
Subject: trailer brands

Veteran

We are in the market for a 3 horse bumper pull trailer.  Will probably buy new.
Brands recommended......and not recommended  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Minty
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2020-08-06 8:13 AM (#173180 - in reply to #173120)
Subject: RE: trailer brands

Lakota, Sundowner are decent brands.

Edited by Minty 2020-08-06 8:21 AM
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2020-08-07 4:15 AM (#173182 - in reply to #173120)

Veteran

Lakota is a low end brand.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2020-08-13 10:55 AM (#173200 - in reply to #173182)

Elite Veteran

Lakota is a mid to low end trailer... but they put a decent looking package together... I guess it depends how you are going to use it. They are not that cheap, so I would step up to a better trailer, or buy a really good trailer used. (Speaking from experience) but not with Lakota.. I would steer clear of many of the ones I see marketed. New people who have not had long term hauling experience don't know better. 
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2020-08-13 11:28 AM (#173201 - in reply to #173120)

Elite Veteran

Well, since Lakota only makes living quarters, I'm not sure discussing them in a discussion of 3 horse bunper pulls makes much sense anyway. To the question- what brands are around you and have dealer support? What kind of budget do you have? How much will you use it? Recreational use several times a year is radically different than hooking it to a motorhome for 45 rodeos a year. And by the way- motorhomes are pretty hard on trailers, just saying. 
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2020-08-19 6:34 PM (#173214 - in reply to #173120)

Veteran

the first question what is your budget, do you want a dressing room? if so how big, where do you live? I my biggest concern with a 3 horse bumper pull is that for the most part they are to heavy to safely pull with a 1/2 ton truck, at least that is my personal opinion, I know people will post numbers that say it can be done safely.  My experience is that under most circumstances there is not enough margin of safety built in.  especially as you add any sort of dressing room.  my next question of where do you live has to  do with the fact for that size trailer I personally would go steel where I live, in california, mainly because the cost savings is huge, a mediocre steel trailer will be as tough as a high end aluminum trailer and not really weigh a significant amount more, that and any repairs you need to do will be way cheaper easier and more available.  smaller trailers, at least for me need more repairs because you will more freqesntly go places you cant with a big trailer, and often times you will spend more time with horses tied out on so this is not a small consideration.

just realize that there are basically 3 tiers of trailers, cheap ones, good ones and great ones. normally the price for them matches the quality, stay away from the cheapest, unless you never use it, even then just stay away, the mid grade quality like lakota can get you buy with light use, but if you haul often or go far spring for a top tier trailer like 4star, elite, cimmaron etc.  jmho
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)