'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sooner Lariat Warmblood vs Hawk Elite

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2020-04-23 8:42 PM
2 replies, 2023 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

slidingirl
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2020-04-22 5:00 PM (#173062)
Subject: Sooner Lariat Warmblood vs Hawk Elite

Any thoughts on these 2 brands? I have an old Trail et and it has been a fantastic trailer, which is why I am looking at a Hawk. I am looking for a 2 horse, warmblood sized gooseneck that I can insulate tack area for camping. I particularly like the construction the Hawk; steel frame, aluminum, fiberglass roof and how they haul. I have a friend with a newer one and it appears to be built every bit as well as my old Trail Et. I have a very large horse, so a straight load is best, but I think she might fit in the Sooner warmblood sized slant. I know Sooner used to be a decent trailer, but since the Universal Trailer merger, I'm not sure that they still have a good rep.

The sooner has a better set up for me to camp in; XW, Xtall, rear tack; whereas the Hawk I would have to remove the tack and store in horse compartment for camping, as I don't appreciate sleeping with sweaty stinky horse tack. The hawk has a pass through door and I would be looking to add one to the Sooner. I am not so sure on what this would cost. I noticed the sooner has bolt on latches vs welded and riveted aluminum skin instead of 3M? Are these concerning? I haul a few times a week to the local trail head and camp once a month during good weather. Some of the roads are pretty washboard, but other than that, I take very good care of my trailers. I loved my old 4 star 3H gooseneck, but sold it as my big girl just did not fit and it only had a 2 ft short wall. I need something easy to maneuver into the trailheads, yet big enough for my big horse and room for me to sleep.

A few people on facebook expressed that the Hawk is a much inferior trailer, but my experience with both my Trail Et and others who have owned Hawks have been positive. I would appreciate the good, bad and ugly. :)

Edited by slidingirl 2020-04-22 5:14 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HappyTrailsTrailers
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2020-04-23 5:20 AM (#173063 - in reply to #173062)
Subject: RE: Sooner Lariat Warmblood vs Hawk Elite

Completely different construction - the Sooner will be single wall up front and aluminum frame  / the Hawk will be all insulated, finished dressing room, galvanized frame - get in each and jump up and down and bang on the walls... If you are shopping new order the Hawk however you like, feel free to contact me for a quote!  ( Universal trailers has been sold so new owners on Sooner ) slant stalls are always much shorter in usuable length even on wider trailers so measure your horse nose to behind tail dock standing relaxed and compare that to any slant load divider length ( no diagonal length )
Risa
( PS not new here just hardly ever post
slidingirl
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2020-04-23 8:42 PM (#173064 - in reply to #173062)
Subject: RE: Sooner Lariat Warmblood vs Hawk Elite

Thank you for your comments. I am trying to be educated and objective in my decision making process. I have always wanted a new Hawk, as I love my Trail et and I have bought and sold a lot of other brands, but the Trail Et is just my go to daily haul trailer that never lets me down. If I do decide on a Hawk, I may shoot you and email/ or phone call. Thank you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)