'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ size

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-10-21 6:53 PM
3 replies, 2292 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tim62988
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2019-10-16 11:55 AM (#172777)
Subject: LQ size

how long is the actual living space in your trailer (not including bathroom) and do you wish you had more, or happy with what you have?

debating between two well built trailers one is 6' of actual LQ space with a slide, one is 13' w/ a slide right now sitting at 7K price difference both have advantages and disadvantages but it's just wife & I who will be camping with 1-2 dogs 

so just looking for what others have and enjoy or don't use too much
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2019-10-16 3:53 PM (#172779 - in reply to #172777)
Subject: RE: LQ size

Veteran

We currently have a 3 horse trailer with a 6’ LQ that is 8’ wide, and 20’ total on the floor. Our occupants are usually me, my husband, and 1 small dog and 1 large dog. I do go frequently by myself with the dogs. It has a dinette, microwave, kitchen sink, separate toilet and shower, queen sized bed, and plenty of storage. It does not have a refrigerator, but we do well for a week at a time with a large Pelican cooler and/ or one or two smaller Lifetime coolers. As we had a 6 cubic foot refrigerator/ freezer in our last trailer, I do miss the refrigerator at times, especially when we are craving ice cream cake!

Our last trailer has a 13’ short wall, with enough room that we could have lived in it full time. We decided to downsize after a trip when the last 3 miles into the campground were a one lane road with switchbacks where at times I had the back tire off the road trying to get around turns. It was a steep drop off on one side that was downright scary! We decided the extra length was just not necessary as we spend most of our time outdoors. We typically cook outside, either with electric kitchen appliances or over a fire.

We do have an 18’ electric awning, which to us equals another 18’ of living space. We also clean out the horse area of the trailer and use that for extra space while we are in camp.

I think you have to ask yourself how comfortable you are getting in and out of the places you go, and what do you need to make yourself comfortable while you are out. After having 4 LQ trailers of various sizes, we made a list of what was really important to us. I have never used the stove in any we owned, so that was something we eliminated. If we were to buy another trailer, it will be a custom order to fit a large refrigerator into the smallest floor plan possible.
ratgirl
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2019-10-21 8:16 AM (#172785 - in reply to #172777)

New User

Great question!  Over the past 15 or so years I have had 5 LQ trailers, each going up in LQ size!   To answer quickly, my opinion is if you can afford the extra space, and can pull the extra space, get it!   I had a slide out, then traded for bigger LQ but no slide because too heavy for our truck.  Then traded for even bigger LQ (13') with no slide, and finally am now back to a slide because we bought a bigger truck.   It is so much nicer not to have to step over the 2 dogs (Corgis) and walk sideways when passing another person heading to the bathroom or trying to reach the kitchen area.  A slide just opens up the center area and to me makes it so much more livable and less aggrevasion.  We only use ours for horse shows that are about 3 days long, so not much time but makes more enjoyable not being on top of each other.   Also love having a larger 'fridge.  
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-10-21 6:53 PM (#172786 - in reply to #172777)

Expert

Another consideration you didn't mention is width. The extra space gained by a 8 foot wide trailer is significant. BUT the view to the rear needs to be considered. I have a dually so road width is immaterial. With my 7'6' trailer I can see much behind in my mirrors looking over the dually's rear fenders that would not be possible with a 8' wide trailer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)