'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for horse trailer, new or used

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-09-17 10:53 AM
3 replies, 2153 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bazman82
Reg. Sep 2019
Posted 2019-09-16 7:20 AM (#172699)
Subject: Looking for horse trailer, new or used

Hi - I am new to this forum and seems like the only place to go at the moment to ask for information. I found a horse trailer in the past that had a pop out bed on the side instead of a slide out. It was a Bison. I can only find 1 for sale that is consignment and not dealer stock. ( https://www.goodrichtrailers.com/trailers/product/2016-bison-trail-b... ).

I know Montana trailers has them in their bumper pulls but I would prefer a gooseneck version since I need a 4 horse trailer. If Goodrich trailers was able to take trades in on a consignment piece I would pursue that one since that is the price range I am looking at. Has anyone seen these trailers out there? Were so few made because of faults or lack of interest from buyers or are they so well liked that people don't want to trade theirs in? We're a family of 4 so having 2 separate spots for the kids to sleep is what we are looking for plus having our 2015 2500 chevy (gas) be able to pull it. Any help finding trailers would be appreciated and we aren't in a rush to buy either so if its not out there then we can wait a bit.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2019-09-16 5:29 PM (#172700 - in reply to #172699)
Subject: RE: Looking for horse trailer, new or used

Veteran

You might try looking for trailers that have bunks, and can usually sleep more people. Go into the “Search” function and put “bunk” into “Description”. That was what I did to pull up this trailer. I think you will find more bunks than pop outs.

https://horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=1316643

The real problem you are going to have is pulling that much trailer with a 3/4 ton truck with a gas engine. You will find pretty quickly that you won’t be passing too many gas stations and you will probably be pushing your limits as far as tow ratings.
bazman82
Reg. Sep 2019
Posted 2019-09-16 5:57 PM (#172701 - in reply to #172699)

Yes. I am finding it difficult to find what we would want. We then though, why not sell our small trailer and big trailer and get a used RV to pull a 4 horse bumper pull stock trailer and that would fit all our needs. But, upon searching I see that we would need a diesel pusher to tow that kind of weight... We may have to start looking at 3 horse trailers instead and hopefully they are a bit lighter.. I would trade in the truck for a diesel but I used it as collateral for a tractor purchase (better rates for private purchase) so that wont work right now.
bazman82
Reg. Sep 2019
Posted 2019-09-17 10:53 AM (#172703 - in reply to #172699)

Just to update on the towing specs. My 2015 2500 has a GCRW of 20500lbs. The curb weight of the truck is 6500lbs and the towing capacity with a gooseneck is 14300lbs. Assuming the truck is loaded up with 2 adults and 2 kids plus fuel (36gal tank) that would put the truck up to roughly 7200lbs. So I believe I need to be able to stay under 13300lbs for a trailer loaded with horses, hay, water and supplies.... I think I got my math correct so as long as I can find a trailer around 7500lbs I should be ok...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)