'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2001 hawk 2+1 gooseneck questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-03-11 10:16 AM
3 replies, 2143 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Vtkate11
Reg. Feb 2019
Posted 2019-02-28 5:03 AM (#172224)
Subject: 2001 hawk 2+1 gooseneck questions

New User

Hi there. I am thinking of purchasing a hawk 2+ one gooseneck trailer. Steel frame aluminum body fiberglass top. Anybody have any input on how are the steel frame with aluminum body holds up overtime? Also, some of the fiberglass appears to be crumbling where it meets the aluminum skin . Is it possible to replace a fiberglass roof or patch and seal it appropriately so that it does not look like crap and functions?
What things do I need to look for before I purchase the trailer? Any specific things related to this trailer or type of trailer? Any input would be much appreciated!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2019-03-06 8:03 AM (#172229 - in reply to #172224)
Subject: RE: 2001 hawk 2+1 gooseneck questions

Elite Veteran

Good Morning!@ I was hoping Kay would be around for this. She's very well versed in the Hawk/Trail-Et trailers. Frankly- if the fiberglass is flaking at 18 years, I'm thinking you have a lot of potential repairs coming. Gard (also posts on here) is good at fiberglass, but know it can be a touch daunting. To my knowledge, each manufacturer had a fiberglass mold for each different roof size, and I highly doubt you can get an entire replacement roof anymore. They haven't been very popular for a while now.

As to the steel frame/aluminum you will just need to inspect it. My opinion has been that at that point in time, the typical manufacturer was looking for a 15 year lifespan. Make it to that safely and inexpensively- then job done. So many trailers are rolling much longer, but in 18-19 years of life many things could have happened and anyone should do a thorough inspection before use. Inspecting floorboards, floor crossmembers, neck, rear posts,  floor to wall junctions, axles & mounts, and so on.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2019-03-08 8:20 AM (#172232 - in reply to #172224)

Expert

I have heard nothem but bad new about fiebglass top one small crack and you are done

HappyTrailsTrailers
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2019-03-11 10:16 AM (#172237 - in reply to #172224)

Chiming in late - it is highly unlikely that a Hawk fiberglass roof would have an issue, post a photo, it is more likely to be peeling of the white gel coat that covers the frame edge and coats the fiberglass.... it may be unsightly but of no consequence structrually, same thing if you see a teeny spider vien looking crack at a roof box, it is just the white coating - left uncoated the fiberglass itself would be a yellow color so white gel coat is applied.
Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers.com

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World