'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Featherlite trailer floor (pictures)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-02-11 3:27 PM
6 replies, 4036 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calipso27
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2019-02-06 5:44 AM (#172183)
Subject: Featherlite trailer floor (pictures)

New User

Looking at a '06 Featherlite with living quarters. Trailer is a 10 hr drive (each way) from me. Most of the trailer looks like new, but I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the floors. Trailer is all aluminum. I know it can be tough to judge off of pictures, but I know there are a lot of experienced trailer people here that might be able to give me an opinion on what they suggest? Any idea what all the rusty/brown is on the floor? I'm seeing what looks like etching starting but there are no holes in the aluminum per the seller. I just sold an '01 Custom Fab bp trailer and the floors looked like new (shiny aluminum) when I pulled the mats to clean it, so that's why I was a bit concerned when I got these pictures. The seller has been very accomodating and taken every little picture I can think of, so that's been very nice of them! 

(floor1.jpg)

(floor2.jpg)

(floor3.jpg)

(floor4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments floor1.jpg (87KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments floor2.jpg (82KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments floor3.jpg (89KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments floor4.jpg (58KB - 4 downloads)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2019-02-07 5:38 AM (#172184 - in reply to #172183)
Subject: RE: Featherlite trailer floor (pictures)

Expert

The photos are of active corrosion caused by horse urine. The mats should be pulled, the floor acid washed, well rinsed, and then inspected on a monthly basis. If the corrosion reappears, the floor is not being kept clean enough.
There are various coatings that can be applied to a cleaned floor, that will greatly reduce the maintenance and increase the longevity of the flooring.
As long as there are no actual holes caused by corrosion, the flooring can be cleaned and should be able to be reused. If there are holes, depending upon their size, repairs can can be effected by welding or epoxy applications.
All trailers, regardless of their building materials, need routine maintenance. C
hecking and cleaning the flooring is especially important.
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-02-07 8:12 AM (#172185 - in reply to #172183)

Veteran

Bad looking floor.  This is from years of no maintenance. Featherlite had some bad floors also.  I would never drive 20 hours unless some kind of unbelievable deal.
calipso27
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2019-02-07 1:05 PM (#172186 - in reply to #172185)

New User

Thank you so much for the reply! I've read some other comments on Featherlite having floor issues but could not find much information on that. Do you know what the previous issues were? The trailer is a decent deal for what it is, but still not a small sum of money either, so I do not want to get in to any sort of floor replacement costs on top of the purchase price. 
calipso27
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2019-02-07 3:49 PM (#172188 - in reply to #172184)

New User

Thank you, Gard! I would love to have the trailer inspected but there are no shops close to the seller that I can find, so that's probably not going to be an option for me. I was pretty surprised at how the floor looked when you compare it to the rest of the trailer. I know I can clean it up some, but future resale kind of concerns me. Would this level of corrosion cause you to pass on the trailer? 

Really appreciate your input and knowledge on this. 
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2019-02-08 3:01 AM (#172189 - in reply to #172183)

Veteran

I do not recall the years but Featherlite started using some cheap aluminum in their trailers.  You could do an acid wash and than have it Rhino-lined or some other coating if the floor is solid.  I still would walk away as there are too many trailers on the market. 
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2019-02-11 3:27 PM (#172194 - in reply to #172183)

Elite Veteran

You know how they say ; " No hoof, No horse" ?  Well, "No floor, No trailer ". NO, don't step into this..good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)