'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ideas for maximizing tack area

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-01-31 5:14 AM
3 replies, 1918 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sassanik
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-01-30 9:31 AM (#172165)
Subject: Ideas for maximizing tack area

New User

I am sooooo excited! I just got my first trailer! It’s a modest 1975 King 2 horse straight load. It only has tack area access on one side under the mangers and it doesn’t have any saddle racks in it! So I am looking for creative ideas for maximizing my storage in there.

Ideally I would like to put 2 saddles in, store my pitch fork and broom and the usual rest of the stuff. It has a full rack on top of the trailer. Most of the stuff I am seeing is for ones with tack rooms in the slant load style. Anyone have any pictures or ideas that they can share?

Thanks!
Amy
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2019-01-30 10:30 AM (#172166 - in reply to #172165)
Subject: RE: Ideas for maximizing tack area

Regular

Congrats on the trailer  

I had something similar and found my best bet was to go minimalist because no matter how I planned and packed, whatever I needed was always at the least accessible spot.  So no extra anything, ever.  

We had stacked saddle racks on the rear ( looking in from the access door). With one saddle, there was room under it to place small plastic tubs,  with two saddles, not.   Pads went on top of the saddles.

There were bridle hooks on the left of the door,  so a few things could be hung up.  We drilled holes in some handles and used baling twine loops.  A back seat organizer hung under the bridle hooks gave us pockets for small things.  Some stuff went into a flat covered tub on the floor, and on top of that we stacked buckets.  There are mesh cargo pockets that are small enough to hang on the tack compartment door,  

We couldn't get a good fit for a broom and shovel, so we cut them shorter...not great for our backs, but good enough. No fork; we used a little rake with a telescoping handle to scrape manure onto the shovel for flinging into a muck bucket.

Things like blankets went into the tow vehicle; if they were stinky, they'd go into a big trash bag first. 

Happy trails !

Sassanik
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-01-30 11:39 AM (#172167 - in reply to #172165)

New User

I am considering checking to see how mich it would cost to just add a second door on the other side, prolly too much but I can ask!

I like the idea of cutting a broom down to size. I am also trying to think if maybe I can store them on the roof rack somehow? Not sure how that would work. I think some extra hooks and extra strong magnets are a good idea, and prolly some way to actually attach the spare to the wall, or maybe to the side of the trailer, though I hate to loose space over the wheel where I can set stuff.

Amy
shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2019-01-31 5:14 AM (#172169 - in reply to #172165)

Regular

Maybe you can find a shallow box to fit over the fender,  then you'd have storage and not lose your 'shelf'.  The A frame of the tongue has room for a box, too. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)