'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
May have messed up my trailer by acid washing :(

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-01-08 7:28 PM
6 replies, 3450 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WiscoRacer
Reg. Oct 2018
Posted 2019-01-05 6:05 PM (#172117)
Subject: May have messed up my trailer by acid washing :(

Inexperienced acid washer here; thought I did my research well enough and diluted the muriatic acid but number one: the acid wash didn't do anything, the trailer looks the same and number two: on the side that was facing the sun, the water must have evaporated and left pit marks where the acid dripped down and ate it away

Lesson learned, leave it to the professionals. The trailer is 20 years old and my guess is rarely been polished or acid washed. What do I do to remedy this?? I tried some polishers and while it worked on the corrugated aluminum on the bottom, it didn't work very well on the top paneled portion (unpainted aluminum). I got some very very fine steel wool to polish the top portion (that's now pitted thanks to me) which worked pretty well with the polisher but oh my goodness it's a lot of work and this trailer is 35 feet long

Any suggestions? Do I keep chipping away at it with my steel wool? Bring it somewhere? Being it's 20 years old I don't really feel like spending more than a few hundred dollars on making it look better.

(Webp.net-resizeimage-7.jpg)

(Webp.net-resizeimage-8.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage-7.jpg (92KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Webp.net-resizeimage-8.jpg (91KB - 0 downloads)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
stormyj
Reg. Sep 2018
Posted 2019-01-06 2:48 PM (#172118 - in reply to #172117)
Subject: RE: May have messed up my trailer by acid washing :(

Dont feel like the Lone Ranger, I did the very same thing. They told me i left it on too long and it burned the aluminum, looks streaked just like yours. They said pretty much it could be buffed out but would be an awful lot of work. I am too old for that and so is the trailer. good luck
WiscoRacer
Reg. Oct 2018
Posted 2019-01-06 5:13 PM (#172120 - in reply to #172118)

stormyj - 2019-01-06 2:48 PM

Dont feel like the Lone Ranger, I did the very same thing. They told me i left it on too long and it burned the aluminum, looks streaked just like yours. They said pretty much it could be buffed out but would be an awful lot of work. I am too old for that and so is the trailer. good luck

Thank you, that's what I figured. I didn't leave it on for more than 30 seconds but the sun was pretty intense when I did it and I didn't take that into account. :( The steel wool seems to help so I'll keep chipping away at it with that. This is the only spot it did it on so at least the other 34 feet of the trailer looks fine, just dirty
triplec
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2019-01-07 8:30 AM (#172121 - in reply to #172117)

New User

PM sent, call me I will tell you how to fix this. 
- Triple C Trailer Sales 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-01-07 8:51 PM (#172124 - in reply to #172121)

Expert

triplec - 2019-01-07 9:30 AM

PM sent, call me I will tell you how to fix this. 
- Triple C Trailer Sales 

Triplec … Don't hold back secrets …

Let the rest of HTW readers know how to fix the mess ...
triplec
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2019-01-08 10:48 AM (#172131 - in reply to #172117)

New User

Theres no real secrets. If the trailer is taken to someone and properly acid washed or citrus washed you can use a product called Met-All polish. You would apply it when the trailer is wet with a grout sponge. This will bring the shine of the trailer back but the trick is to do it inside a building not in the sun.  Make sure it is a grout sponge and that the sponge is wet as well as the trailer. You want to make sure the trailer is lightly acid washed the proper way before you try it. This is not super critical it will just make your job a little easier. It is messy but it is easy and it will work. Like I said though a properly lightly acid washed trailer will make the job a lot easier. If you do not think you can get it done we can do it and when we are done it will look great. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2019-01-08 7:28 PM (#172137 - in reply to #172117)

Expert

Tripelec … Thanks for the answer …
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'