'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Air Ride Horse Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-08-20 1:45 PM
4 replies, 3125 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jillian
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2018-12-27 4:01 AM (#172101)
Subject: Air Ride Horse Trailers

Which brands of horse trailers have air ride options?  Will air ride help the pull and horse comfort if sometimes I pull two horses and sometimes I haul just a mini?  Any special problems or expertise needed for this feature? Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2018-12-28 9:20 AM (#172103 - in reply to #172101)
Subject: RE: Air Ride Horse Trailers

Elite Veteran

I reckon most sany of the manufacturers that do custom work do air ride. It is a great ride for the animals and the truck as well. I usually even noticed an increase in MPG pulling one. But- much more maintenance intensive. Folks who pull regularly generally have few issues. It is when the system sits for a while that dirt dobbers clog leveling valves, hoses dry rot, compressors lock up and so on. One advantage of air- is that they do self adjust for the load, so it will ride the same with 3 big horses, or 1 mini. 
WiscoRacer
Reg. Oct 2018
Posted 2019-01-05 5:42 PM (#172116 - in reply to #172101)

My parents have a 28' 4 horse C&C without air ride that pulls pretty rough. I love the trailer but if you go over a bridge junction, it pulls on the truck so dang hard.

I was worried about buying a 35' 4 Star and how hard it would be on my truck but it had air ride so I bought it sight unseen and hoped for the best. WOW I will never buy a trailer without air ride again. I love it so much.

We hauled last year from WI to AZ with 4 horses fully loaded and got a whopping 8 mpg with the C&C. I was seriously concerned what kind of mpg I'd get with a 7' longer trailer. Ended up getting 10.5 mpg with the same load with my air ride. I seriously think it made a difference.
johnsnowkornar
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2019-08-20 12:48 PM (#172642 - in reply to #172103)

RTSmith - 2018-12-28 9:20 AM I reckon most sany of the manufacturers that do custom work do air ride. It is a great ride for the animals and the truck as well. I usually even noticed an increase in MPG pulling one. But- much more maintenance intensive. Folks who pull regularly generally have few issues. It is when the system sits for a while that dirt dobbers clog leveling valves, hoses dry rot, compressors lock up and so on. One advantage of air hoses- is that they do self adjust for the load, so it will ride the same with 3 big horses, or 1 mini. 

Do air compressors come with hoses?
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2019-08-20 1:45 PM (#172643 - in reply to #172101)

Elite Veteran

They certainly can have an air hose incorporated. Most air ride systems don't have a large air demand, so the compressor isn't very large, especially since it will be 12V electric. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)