'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer mattress

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-02-04 8:21 PM
4 replies, 2999 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sundowner12
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2018-10-22 2:32 PM (#171978)
Subject: Trailer mattress

I store my trailer in non-heated shed over the winter. Last year I did not take the mattress out, just covered it with a mattress envelope that zippers shut. A friend of mine told me though that I will end up with mold on my mattress and I should take it out. I think it is a short queen and it`s very bendable (its the original that came with the trailer), so it was awkward and not so easy for me to take it out by myself and get it in the house. Difficult enough that there is no way I am putting it downstairs (finished basement), I`m going to just have to lean it up against the wall in my room for the winter. So after all this - is it necessary to rermove the mattress every winter to avoiid mold problems? Easier solution for one day in the future when it is time to replace this mattress?

Thanks! 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2018-10-22 6:02 PM (#171979 - in reply to #171978)
Subject: RE: Trailer mattress

Veteran

Is your trailer insulated?

I have had four LQ trailers in the last 15 years and have never taken the mattress out. I currently live in the South, and have never experienced mold, even in the hot and humid summers.
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2018-10-22 6:44 PM (#171980 - in reply to #171978)

Extreme Veteran

Over the past  20 years I've never taking a mattress out of my LQ trailer for winter storage and have never experinced mold problems.  On top of that my parents have had RV's since 1980 and have never had mold issues with a mattress left in the RV over winter storage.  I can't think if a single reason to hassle with removing the mattress for extended storage.
sundowner12
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2018-11-13 7:18 PM (#172031 - in reply to #171978)

Well it's a relief to hear that you have not had to take your mattress out. It will be hard enough to get back outside and back in the trailer come spring, I will likely never do that again! 
Yes my trailer is insulated, it's a Merhow slant load with living quarters that I bought new, so it is factory finished on the inside. Sounds like just putting the mattress envelope around it is enough (I figure it keeps it dust free).

Thanks for the reassurances! 

Edited by sundowner12 2018-11-13 7:22 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2019-02-04 8:21 PM (#172181 - in reply to #171978)

Expert

If it's really a worry- you can always put some Damp Rid granules cans in the trailer during storage.also,a bag of regular charcoal ( I set it in a 5 gallon plastic bucket just in case) left in your trailer absorbs odors from being shut up for a while.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)