'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Electronic over hydraulic braking

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-05-19 4:59 AM
5 replies, 3030 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

heke
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2018-10-09 8:32 AM (#171947)
Subject: Electronic over hydraulic braking

Recently purchased a 4Star4H gooseneck 36 feet on the ground pulling with a 2017 GMC Dually. It has electronic over hydraulic brakes on the trailer. Dealer stated that my settings were not correct in my truck. he said that other customers with GM trucks had to go to the dealer and they had to hook it up with the computer to enable the brakes to send the proper signal for electronic over hydraulic brakes. When I use the manual controller you can hear the brakes being applied. Every GM dealer I've talked to has no idea what I'm talking about. has anyone dealt with this and can you provide any advice on how to communicate to a GM dealer what has to be done?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-10-09 10:29 AM (#171949 - in reply to #171947)
Subject: RE: Electronic over hydraulic braking

Extreme Veteran

We had that issue with a Ford F350, discovered that we had been pulling a 36' LQ for over a year without functioning brakes. Thank goodness the truck brakes were excellent. Worked with the hand override but not with the brake pedal. Ford dealer was as perplexed as we were. One of our own techs spent a lot of time in the truck fiddling with all the computer setting, and stumbled upon a screen where you could set the controller from "electric brakes" to electric hydraulic brakes". Bingo. Since then we have had several customers with the same issue. Truck dealers/salespeople need to learn about this so that they can tell their customers how to use the darned truck. There are too many bells and whistles for anyone to completely understand everything on their own.

PS. You have to set it back to "electric brakes" if you are pulling a standard electric brake trailer.

Edited by Kay 2018-10-09 10:30 AM
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2018-10-09 12:16 PM (#171951 - in reply to #171947)

Elite Veteran

How new is the trailer? Some older trailers' E/H unit isn't compatible with newer controllers.

Like Kay- found that screen in our Fords. In fact, it is different places between an XLT and Lariat, so I always forget where to find it. There's also a basic Low/Med/High brake effort that has caused problems for our customers. It will get set to Low, they hook up a large trailer and even on 10 have little braking. 

I haven't been into a GMC setup for the E/H setting, but it is present on Dodge. So I'd sure guess it is on the GM platform as well.

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2018-10-09 12:19 PM (#171952 - in reply to #171947)

Elite Veteran

How new is the trailer? Some older trailers' E/H unit isn't compatible with newer controllers.

Also- I know on some occasions a few years ago, it was common on GMs with E/H trailers to install an underdash controller and wire it into the 7 pin plug, disconnecting the Integrated Controller. That can still be done, but frankly I doubt the need.
GavinMacs
Reg. May 2021
Posted 2021-05-18 12:37 PM (#173705 - in reply to #171947)

New User

From my limited knowledge, I would say that...As with many things, consumers drive demand.
GavinMacs
Reg. May 2021
Posted 2021-05-19 4:59 AM (#173706 - in reply to #171947)

New User

From my limited knowledge, I would say that...As with many things, consumers drive demand. After experiencing the safety and convenience of hydraulic-powered anti-lock brake systems with traction control in automobiles, many air brake users desire the same convenience in their larger trucks. The next generation of truck drivers has learned — and will continue to learn — how to drive in vehicles with ABS, traction control, and electronic stability control. Familiarity with these newer systems breeds habit, and habits can be hard to break, especially in an emergency driving situation. I would suggest you look up automation-usa.com If you want more information.

Edited by GavinMacs 2021-05-19 5:00 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)