'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
lakota VS Eclipse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-09-17 3:34 PM
2 replies, 3062 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2018-09-14 2:40 PM (#171865)
Subject: lakota VS Eclipse

Extreme Veteran

I am looking at two slant load trailers, an Eclipse 2015 and a Lakota 2005.  They both are about the same price used, but I had heard unfavorable things aobut both brands.  I might be leaning towards the Lakota as I think the Eclipse folks went out of business right about the time they made the 2015 trailer (or did they change their name to River Valley?)  I know no trailer company is perfect, but I am not a welder, although I can see if things are cracked and if the fit isn't right.  

Both look nice in the photos, but .. I guess I won't know until I see them in person.  Thank you!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2018-09-17 8:08 AM (#171870 - in reply to #171865)
Subject: RE: lakota VS Eclipse

Elite Veteran

I do know that some Eclipse trailers had issues with the panels delaminating. They were made of panels which were foam glued/sandwiched in between aluminum sheets. It seems they didn't always stay together. Not sure if just a few units, or which were affected. And yes, they are no longer with us as a mfg to my knowledge. 
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2018-09-17 3:34 PM (#171871 - in reply to #171865)
Subject: RE: lakota VS Eclipse

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for your kind reply!!!   I never got to see the Lakota, the owner never contacted me back. I went and saw the Eclipse and looked long and hard at it.  It had a lot of things that appealed to me, the wood floor, no back tack.  The welds weren't the best, but I had looked at my 1999 Featherlite straight load and some of those weren't the best, but they were better than some of the ones on the Eclipse.  I looked at door and window fit, that seemed done well.  We have had torrential rain here in Ohio for awhile and the trailer was dry inside.  So that was a plus.   I did not see any welds that had cracked or looked dangerous. The owner had just had the trailer serviced, bearings, brakes, etc and had a safety check on the frame and body to make sure all was well.  So I bought it.  It hauled well, tracked up behind the truck, I didn't feel anythiing wonky and in the mirrors, the trailer appeared to be tracking straight.   About the only thing I could fault was one of the drop down windows was really sticky; the second one from the front.  The owner could get them open, I could not. So I will have my trailer folks check it out for me to make it easier for me to open.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)