'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Would like some trailer owner opinions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-09-16 8:41 PM
4 replies, 5851 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NomadicPaul
Reg. Aug 2018
Posted 2018-08-17 4:48 PM (#171818)
Subject: Would like some trailer owner opinions

New User

Hello, I hope you don't mind me asking about horse trailers. I am not currently a horse trailer owner.

I am a disabled submarine veteran who would like to go full time in a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer as a residence. Looking at the different residential style trailers they are not really equipped for my needs, even the toy hauler

My intent is to make my woodworking shop portable, I make instruments and sell them at different festivals.

It's just me, so I wouldn't need a huge fancy living space. It dawned on me that a horse trailer with living quarters might work. I could convert the space meant for horses into a workshop, none of my equipment is heavy industrial grade so weight isn't an issue.

Have any of you seen someone using a horse trailer for this purpose?

My tow vehicle can handle the heavier trailers, International 4900.

Thanks for any opinions or input.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2018-08-17 6:23 PM (#171819 - in reply to #171818)
Subject: RE: Would like some trailer owner opinions

Veteran

I have owned four living quarters horse trailers, as well as one 5th wheel RV. We did live in the 5th wheel full time while we gut renovated a house.

Having pulled both, I prefer the gooseneck horse trailers above pulling the 5th wheel RV. All four of our LQ trailers pulled easy and smoother than the 5th wheel. The 5th wheel seemed to have more wind resistance and felt heavier to pull than our heaviest LQ trailer, that weighed twice as much as the 5th wheel.

It was three large steps to get into our 5th wheel, while the LQ trailers are one medium step. I also felt our horse trailers have been much better built and insulated than the RV was.

One advantage the RV had was multiple slides, although you can get horse trailers with them as well. You didn’t say if your disability has you wheel chair bound, but a horse trailer may need to be modified to make more room for wheel chair accessibility in the living quarters area. But, a horse trailer can easily be equipped with a ramp at the rear or even on the side for easy wheel chair entrance.

As far as the weight of your woodworking equipment, most horse trailer floors are built to haul horses, weighing usually at least 1,000 lbs. each. I would also look at the axle rating to make sure the axles as heavy duty enough to accommodate the weight of your equipment.

With the “tiny house movement”, I have often wondered why more people don’t convert horse trailers. The good ones are made to withstand the abuse of hauling live animals, are built much stouter than RVs, and have a longer life span.
NomadicPaul
Reg. Aug 2018
Posted 2018-08-17 8:29 PM (#171820 - in reply to #171818)

New User

Cutter,. Thanks for the reply. My disability is from a Tramautic head injury, no wheelchair yet.

My equipment isn't a concern, we are talking drill press, small lathe, Sanders and a table saw. A few hand electric tools and some tools I picked up at estate sales that I have no clue what they do.

I was curious, a good friend is about to upgrade to a bigger car. He has a smart car now. Weighs 1890 pounds, be nice to take with me. My International 4900 is great but not to run errands.

I agree with your tiny house comment, don't say it too loud though, let me get a trailer before the damand (and prices) go up.
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2018-08-18 7:33 AM (#171821 - in reply to #171818)

Veteran

You would need a trailer without a fixed rear tack or mangers. You might need to reinforce the floor and rear ramp, but maybe some other posters here can comment more intelligently than me!

Here is how some others haul a Smart Car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NKP-hBNDcew

Edited by Cutter1999 2018-08-18 7:34 AM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2018-09-16 8:41 PM (#171868 - in reply to #171818)

Expert

my shoer took a horse trailer and made it his work space for his tools the door goes up to give him more room in bad weather

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)