'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fixing up old Logan Slant Load: What's this switch do???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-08-05 8:33 AM
3 replies, 3633 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

eldoradobill
Reg. Aug 2018
Posted 2018-08-04 9:55 AM (#171774)
Subject: Fixing up old Logan Slant Load: What's this switch do???

New User

Hi all - we've had this Logan Coach slant load for about 25 years. It's been stored outside and neglected. I rarely ever see it. It's my wife's thing.

Anyway, we brought it home to clean it up and give it the once over. I'm pretty handy and have cleaned it up and fixed it up to where, dang if it don't look pretty now. :-) I traced an electrical problem to the six-prong plug and will have a replacement here to install on Sunday.

In the meantime, I ran a test off of a 12 volt battery direct to the individual (currently) exposed wires and confirmed brake lights and running lights work.

Neither exterior (left rear/right front) loading lights work, but confirmed the bulbs are good. The interior lights do not work as well.

I'm guessing these are powered by the battery (dead as dead can be) located in the tack room. Is that correct?

Also, there is a toggle switch located at the rear left (driver's side). What is this switch for?

Thanks for any help.

Bill
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2018-08-04 12:47 PM (#171775 - in reply to #171774)
Subject: RE: Fixing up old Logan Slant Load: What's this switch do???

Extreme Veteran

The battery in the tack room is probably just for the brakes...via breakaway switch connected via cable connected to the tow vehicle. Other lights are probably powered by way of pin on the trailer connector connected to vehicle battery...and will only work when plugged in....sometimes the tow vehicle needs to have key in on position
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2018-08-04 1:31 PM (#171776 - in reply to #171774)

Expert

eldoradobill - 2018-08-04 12:55 PM Hi all - we've had this Logan Coach slant load for about 25 years. It's been stored outside and neglected. I rarely ever see it. It's my wife's thing. Anyway, we brought it home to clean it up and give it the once over. I'm pretty handy and have cleaned it up and fixed it up to where, dang if it don't look pretty now. :-) I traced an electrical problem to the six-prong plug and will have a replacement here to install on Sunday. In the meantime, I ran a test off of a 12 volt battery direct to the individual (currently) exposed wires and confirmed brake lights and running lights work. Neither exterior (left rear/right front) loading lights work, but confirmed the bulbs are good. The interior lights do not work as well. I'm guessing these are powered by the battery (dead as dead can be) located in the tack room. Is that correct? Also, there is a toggle switch located at the rear left (driver's side). What is this switch for? Thanks for any help. Bill

Is there a mini-battery on the trailer tongue?...If so, that would be your breakaway battery...
If not, then the dead battery inside the trailer must have served for the breakway battery

That rear switch could be for the interior lights...the other thing to check is to see if there was a load light wired up in the past over the rear doors...

https://cokluindir.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/wiring-diagram-trailer-wiring-diagram-6-pin-6-pin-trailer-plug-free-download.jpg
eldoradobill
Reg. Aug 2018
Posted 2018-08-05 8:33 AM (#171778 - in reply to #171776)

New User

Thanks - I found a wiring diagram and it's clear the battery is only to power the break away.

The diagram shows the toggle, but I'm still at a loss as to its purpose. I'm guessing a one-stop-switch to kill all the lights. There are loading lights rear driver's side and front passenger's side and two lights in the trailer section, both with their own push button switches.

I won't know until this evening if they work. I know the bulbs are good. The replacement plug is supposed to show up later today.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)