'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Dilemma

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-07-20 12:47 PM
8 replies, 3599 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RopnCwby66
Reg. Jul 2018
Posted 2018-07-13 7:20 AM (#171715)
Subject: Trailer Dilemma

New User

I'm looking at buying a bumper pull for long hauls....... rodeo to rodeo !!!, my dilemma is what stall width, length etc to get that way my horses don't need a chiropractor. when I reach my destination. ..... currently looking at trails west Sierra II specialite with drops on both sides as well as mangers. I feel structurally the platinum, hart, bloomer etc are better made and cost more. but as for $$ value, what Aluminum trailer should I stay away from for long hauls vs runabouts??....... i had a 91' featherlite 2h str8 load Aluminum, with a single axle..... LOVED it, I just wanna switch to slant load. Any suggestions ???
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-07-16 6:34 AM (#171720 - in reply to #171715)
Subject: RE: Trailer Dilemma

Extreme Veteran

Obviously no one wants to trash trailer brands, but there certainly are some that are built to last and some that you wonder how they hold up at all.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-07-18 5:29 AM (#171722 - in reply to #171715)

Extreme Veteran

You aren't getting much help, are you? Call a few dealers that have repair shops too and ask some questions. Most will be willing to share their opinions and after you talk to a few the really good brands will float to the top and you will also know which brands to be cautious about for a variety of reasons..
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2018-07-18 2:57 PM (#171724 - in reply to #171715)

Extreme Veteran

It all depends on how many miles, where you travel, how you take care of it, etc on what I would advise. IF you are putting on 20k miles or more a year, I would go with one of the higher end trailers such as Hart, Bloomer, older 4 stars, C&C, Platinums, older Cimarrons (stay away from 2009s), Elites, etc.

IF you take great care and store them inside and plan on less miles, you could get by with Featherlight, Sooner, Exiss, newer Cimarrons, Twister (they have improved a lot and might need to go first group), etc.

As far as the one's I would not even look at, would be Larado, Lakota, Silverado, Shadow, and any steel framed, aluminum side wall trailers.

IF you are looking for steel, Titan, makes the best steel trailer that can take abuse/misuse IMO. Trails West is mid line in my opinion as they typically have axle problems as they try to cheapen them up by putting on less capacity axles. IF you can get one with heavy axles, they would compare with Titan.
Lots of other steel trailers are available, but again, depends on your use.

Good luck!

RopnCwby66
Reg. Jul 2018
Posted 2018-07-19 7:35 AM (#171725 - in reply to #171715)

New User

Thnx for the reply Spin Doc,

I'm looking at an 05' Platinum on here right now...... the only steele frame i looked at was trails west siera II, but now need to look at siera select...... ( ALL ALUMINUM )....... I've always wanted a platinum but always WAY out of my budget....... so older it is !!!!!!!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2018-07-19 7:52 AM (#171726 - in reply to #171715)

Expert

I would not do slant load the stall are not big for long hauls Eby is a great trailer for the money price but it will be the last trailer you buy I have one and love it

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2018-07-20 6:36 AM (#171728 - in reply to #171726)

Elite Veteran

There are many experienced horse folks who travel very long distances using slant loads. You just need to make sure your horse fits. Yes, if you have a long bodied horse it can be a challenge. But most typical horses fit in a regular slant load just fine. Too much room can be as large an issue as too little. For me- a snug slant stall is like my seat belt. Keeps us from getting jostled as much. Just my opinion. 
Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2018-07-20 9:22 AM (#171729 - in reply to #171715)

Regular

We have been in the trailer sales and repair business for nearly 15 years and we've seen it all.  We are Platinum dealers and I agree that they are high priced but they are well made and hold their value well too.  I would absolutely look at used 4 Star trailers, and the year won't matter!  That will be the best bang for your buck.  Normal size stalls are 40" measured on the head wall from divider to divider.  If you have at least a 7' wide trailer, your horse should ride comfortable unless he's warmblood size, and then  I would recommend 7'6" wide and tall.  The older 4 Star's are tanks and they can stand the hard hauls and they hold their value well.
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2018-07-20 12:47 PM (#171730 - in reply to #171715)

Veteran

I personally dont like a dressing room on a bumper pull trailer, that being the case I would go for a striaght load trailer. where i live, in so cal, I have no problem with a steel trailer.  cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix, and will last a long time. YMMV  I prefer a straight load trailer it is easier to make a big horse fit.  mind you if you are not hauling horses a slant load may work for you, but I like being able to walk through either stall and be able to unload any horse without having to pull others out.  horses like light and air, keep that in mind when buying a trailer, the more bigger windows and more height and width will keep horses happier.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)