'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
WARNING **TRANSWEST Truck trailer & RV" Deal Nightmare

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-07-21 1:13 PM
8 replies, 800 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lippsht
Posted 2018-07-08 7:37 AM (#171700)
Subject: WARNING **TRANSWEST Truck trailer & RV" Deal Nightmare

New User

I am not one to do a smear campaign on a company. However, I have given Transwest Truck Trailer & RV every opportunity to make this right. I followed the chain of authority, salesman, to sales manager, to General manager, to the President of the company. So I can not say that this is a specific store location problem.

A trailer posted here on Horse Trailer World on June 2, 2018. I called, spoke to the salesman and put a deposit on the trailer to purchase it for the listed asking price. I had a trade in for them to consider and sent all the information that day.

After a few days of not hearing back, I spoke to my salesman, and he informed me that they found some issues on the trailer I was purchasing that they missed when they took it in on trade and delivery would be delayed. I was fine with that. I asked if he had trade numbers for me yet.

I am going to fast forward....after a month of never getting a value for my trade in and continued excuses that the trailer I was purchasing was still getting repairs every time I would call and ask, this saga resulted in a text message from a new salesman. They gave me a fair trade value number, but the price of the trailer I was purchasing was increased over $22,000.00 over the published sales price ,to cover the cost of the repairs. (repairs that I didn't ask for) This is when I contacted the President by e-mail. I never heard back from him. I was sent an e-mail from the sale manager (with the president CC'd) stating that they were returning my deposit. In all my correspondences, I specifically stated I DID NOT WANT my deposit back, I wanted to purchase the trailer. I replied all to that e-mail and said, "I do not want my deposit back, the deposit needs to remain in place on the trailer." The next day, I received a receipt of my refunded deposit.

I am a reasonable person. I know this industry, I worked in horse trailer sales for 6 years! I now work in the boating/yacht sales industry. I don't know what kind of operation they run, but whenever a trade is taken in, it is inspected PRIOR to the closing of the sale of it being taken in on and the person trading it in takes the hit in the repair cost. Items are fixed and a price is established to sale the item at that time. That item is not advertised (and certainly a deal is not made on it) until repairs are done and the salesprice is determined. IF something is missed, like in this case, the dealership takes it as a bought lesson. The customer is not the one punished.

Would I have spoke to them and worked out something on a price adjustment? Maybe, but I was never given that opportunity.

On a side note: I dealt with the sames sales manager last year. I was trying to purchase a 8 horse trainer's trailer and the transaction never closed because guess why? He NEVER got me a value for my trade.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Posted 2018-07-08 7:47 AM (#171701 - in reply to #171700)
Subject: RE: WARNING **TRANSWEST Truck trailer & RV" Deal Nightmare

Expert

One possibility is the repairs may have been REQUIRED for the trailer to pass safety inspections.
lippsht
Posted 2018-07-08 9:33 AM (#171702 - in reply to #171701)

New User

Not disagreeing with that. However, those repairs should have been found BEFORE the trade was completed and the ACV adjusted to the person trading the trailer in. The trailer never should have been advertised and priced and SOLD before all inspections and repairs were made.
Cutter1999
Posted 2018-07-08 2:36 PM (#171703 - in reply to #171700)

Regular

So you still wanted to purchase the trailer even though the price had increased by $22,000? Is that number correct? Was the trailer listed for sale with a “too good to be true”, incorrect price?

For $22,000, you could rebuild an entire LQ. What type of repairs were done for $22,000?

And honestly, I traded a trailer into a dealership 12 hours away from home about 6 months ago. They had pictures of my trade in, but never looked at it before I got to the dealership with it. I was there for about a half hour to do the paperwork and that was it. Could the trailer I traded have had issues they didn’t know about? Sure, but I was honest about its condition, but they didn’t know that at the time.

Maybe you dodged a bullet with this trailer. Try looking at it that way. If they cannot get back to you to make a sale, what would happen if you had an actual issue with the trailer?

Edited by Cutter1999 2018-07-08 2:38 PM
hosspuller
Posted 2018-07-08 5:51 PM (#171704 - in reply to #171700)

Expert

Sounds like your option is to go to court and sue to enforce your sales contract. You do have a signed sales contract … right ?

Would be much more effective than bashing the dealer on the internet.

Spin Doctor
Posted 2018-07-09 7:28 AM (#171705 - in reply to #171700)

Extreme Veteran

If you want my opinion based on my experience, I would thank them for finding the trailer issues and just want my deposit back. I sure wouldn't want a newly purchased trailer that needed 22k in repairs.

Dealers typically get trades in and want to get them ran thru the shop and on the sales list/advertising asap-sometimes, before the reconditioning is completed and while the trailer is still in their shop. Look thru horse trailer world and you will see pics of trailers not even cleaned out yet advertised by dealers. It is somewhat common.

I have been invovled in trades where they found something after the deal was made and I thanked them for it. To me, that shows that they have integrity in selling a road worthy product. More important to them, is the product being sound than the sale.

Is a price gouging? I doubt it as the LQ market is a little soft right now and if they have a buyer on line, I would think they would want to keep you but want you to have a worth product.

As far as what they could of done for 22k in repairs, on a big LQ, new axles/brakes would of probably used most of that...and that is sure a possiblity that they found out after your deal was done due to various reasons.

One thing you could ask for is an invoice of the repairs done to the trailer. That is provided all the time on farm equipment (tractors) that have gone thru the shop for resale in my experiences.

Good luck!

lippsht
Posted 2018-07-09 1:57 PM (#171707 - in reply to #171705)

New User

I agree 100% with everything that you said here. I was more than happy to discuss and re negotiate the deal.....or heck, if they would have handled the situation a little better, I would have let them get me a quote for a new trailer. (that is what I am currently doing with others)

Without diving into all the details....I was trading in a 2004 4 Horse Ultimate Hart 14' LQ for a 2001 6 Horse Hart with a 14' LQ Ultimate Hart with air ride with bunk beds. (the trailer I was purchasing was identical to what I was trading (I specifically am looking for 6 horse w/ bunk bed LQ, they are very hard to find and that is why I didn't want my deposit back)

I was going to pay a $12,800 difference for a 3 year older trailer with 2 more horse stalls and air ride.

The air ride is what needed repaired on the trailer I was purchasing. I actually would have taken the trailer as is. But that was never an option.

The deal changed to a $34,800 difference because of the repair.

The dealerships I worked for (horse trailers) and currently work for (yachts), NEVER closes a deal until the trade is inspected and the ACV is determined AFTER that inspection so something like this does not happen. The person this should have cost is the previous owner, not the dealership, and certainly not the new owner. It is a poor business practice IMHO.

The problem here is the bank is only going to loan what the trailer is valued at. Fixing the air ride did not increase the value of the trailer. The trailer was priced (and valued) with that option correctly when listed.

The loan issue is not going to be an isolated issue, it will be for others as well. That trailer will never book out for what they increased the price to. They could have made it right with me.....OR now, wait for that special buyer that can buy and haul a HUGE 6H LQ and take the loss, after paying floorplan on it. Makes no sense to me.
PaulChristenson
Posted 2018-07-09 7:54 PM (#171710 - in reply to #171702)

Expert

lippsht - 2018-07-08 12:33 PM Not disagreeing with that. However, those repairs should have been found BEFORE the trade was completed and the ACV adjusted to the person trading the trailer in. The trailer never should have been advertised and priced and SOLD before all inspections and repairs were made.

Believe it or not sometimes dealers get caught holding the short end of the stick...this may be one of those cases...it may have even cost someone their job... 
crowleysridgegirl
Posted 2018-07-21 1:13 PM (#171731 - in reply to #171707)

Expert

I agree with Paul on the traded in trailer- the dealer is the one responsible for the needed repairs.they took it in on trade,and probably took it in 'as is'- and if they didn't advertise it for sale ' as is' and state the necessary repairs that would have to be made,it's their problem,not the person who traded it.when you trade in a vehicle,you don't go get everything repaired or redone before you trade it,do you? Few if any do.the dealer is responsible for determining anything wrong that might affect the resale of it.

I would cut my losses and think I am lucky they revealed the repairs that they had to make before you went all in.youll find one- it's out there.they could do something I won't mention with their 34k jack up price and trailer and I'd be running,not walking,away.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)