'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New Purchase-WWYD?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-05-17 10:30 PM
6 replies, 3333 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ALegUp
Reg. Apr 2018
Posted 2018-05-15 11:54 PM (#171605)
Subject: New Purchase-WWYD?

New User

I’m in the market for a 3H GN. Had narrowed down my choice to a new Logan with side tack and a handful of other options I had wanted. Now I have been presented with an opportunity to purchase a Hart MVP at a significant savings to the Logan. The only option not available to add aftermarket would obviously be a mid/side tack.

I understand the MVP (previously Medallion, I believe) is the value model for Hart and have searched the forums for additional information on these base models, but have only found threads on the 4 Star Runabout. I have questions about the MVP’s smaller width and stall size. While my current horses are under 16 hh, I plan to occasionally haul friend’s horses and never know who will be living in my barn in the future.

Any input on the Hart base model? Would the 6’8” width (39” x 9’10” stall -I may have this wrong, still trying to figure this out) ... or really anything else about it... turn you away?

I prefer the fiberglass roof of the Hart, but had factored in insulating the roof and trailer in the Logan quote. I also hate a rear tack and have plans to eventually do some light camping out of this trailer, hence the side tack option. But, if the price is right and the trailer makes sense otherwise, I may be able to convince myself to live with the tack in the DR during transport.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2018-05-16 7:14 AM (#171606 - in reply to #171605)
Subject: RE: New Purchase-WWYD?

Veteran

I had a 2008 Hart Medallion with a small living quarters, and had the LQ not been so small, I never would have sold it. The quality was excellent, and I have owned other higher end trailers to compare it to.

I loved the honeycombed roof and you could feel the difference in high summer heat just by walking outside the trailer. I did do long hauls with the trailer, and it pulled fully loaded with four horses and all our gear like it wasn’t even there behind a SRW F-350. I have owned 9 trailers over the years, and the Medallion has been the best pulling trailer out of all of them.

The only negative comment I can make was that ours was just too small, which is not really a fault in the trailer. A 6’8” width compared to a 7’6” or 8’ width is actually huge, especially in an LQ trailer. As far as our horses however, it didn’t seem to make a difference to them. I did haul some larger horses, probably close to 16 hands for someone else, and they had no issues on a 900 mile haul. I did try to put the larger ones in slants that did not have the interior protrusion of the wheel well- the first and last slants. You would also have the option of either removing or tying back a divider to make a slant stall larger.

Another thing to consider is the Hart is an all aluminum trailer versus an the aluminum skin over steel frame of the Logan. I have always heard positive things about Logan’s, but a Hart is hard to beat!

Edited by Cutter1999 2018-05-16 7:17 AM
Dbarnes72
Reg. Dec 2015
Posted 2018-05-16 7:19 AM (#171607 - in reply to #171605)

Regular

We have a Lakota with a 6'9" width and for us, it just feels too cramped for the horses.  I would not buy one this narrow again.
As for Hart, I have no experience. 

Edited by Dbarnes72 2018-05-16 7:20 AM
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-05-16 8:07 AM (#171608 - in reply to #171605)

Extreme Veteran

The Hart MPV or Medallion was in no way inferior to any other Hart models. It was or is a limited option model that could be more quickly produced at an attractive cost. The 39" wall measurement per stall is pretty much standard in the industry. The other measurement is the diagonal length from the front corner to the rear corner of the stall, which is affected by the width of the trailer. A nice thing about the width in this model is that there are no wheel wells in the interior.
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2018-05-16 8:21 AM (#171609 - in reply to #171605)

Extreme Veteran

Our first Hart was a Medallion. Have had 3 other Harts from that time-all bigger each time as we could afford it.
Agree with previous post as it pulled great and held up real well. I have 16 hand head horses and they fit fine. The only thing I didn't like was that the skin didn't have any trim on the drop wall side gussetts and on the bottom of the nose rail. It had a rather sharp  finish where the skin stopped. Also, didn't have the radius rocker panels on the bottom sides.  They do this to cheapen it up but again, never had any problems with it. Would sure own another.
As far as the structural components, I don't think there was any difference between the Hart trailer models. Just the trim.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2018-05-17 8:13 AM (#171614 - in reply to #171605)

Elite Veteran

Wow....no comparison between Hart and Logan. Hart is hands down one of the finest built trailers in the industry.

ALegUp
Reg. Apr 2018
Posted 2018-05-17 10:30 PM (#171616 - in reply to #171605)

New User

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your feedback. I recognize the quality of the Hart trailer, hence my dilemma. My concerns were primarily related to stall size in the smaller width box and not having any information regarding this particular model. I’m thankful to all who took the time to share their info and experiences.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)