'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
3 horse, 15' Living Quarters: Enough Truck?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-04-08 9:50 AM
7 replies, 7348 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ebachle
Reg. Apr 2018
Posted 2018-04-07 4:02 PM (#171492)
Subject: 3 horse, 15' Living Quarters: Enough Truck?

New User

Greetings,

I'm considering a 3 horse with 15" living quarters and a slide out. I have a 2016 single wheel F-350. Anyone pulling a similar trailer with a similar truck? I'm not concerned will pulling power, but I am concerned about tongue weight.

I'd appreciate your feedback on how well the truck handles the trailer. Dealers have indicated this is enough truck, but would like feedback from those with similar set ups. I prefer to continue with a single wheel versus a dually.

Thank you in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tobruk
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-04-07 6:28 PM (#171493 - in reply to #171492)
Subject: RE: 3 horse, 15' Living Quarters: Enough Truck?

Veteran

Eric,  The trailer alone probably weighs close to 7000 lbs.  Add the conversion and the slideout and you're around 11000 lbs.  Put some horses and water and gear in there and you're closer to 15 or 16000 lbs loaded.  Now with that number in mind, look at the GVWR for the truck and see if you're  overweight.  Figure that 25% of the total trailer is on the truck so that's another 4000 lbs directly on the truck.   With the SRW you sacrifice some stabiity but actually have more carrying capacity than a DRW because the added weight of the duals causes a subtraction from the overall capacity of the 1T truck.  I'd guess you're close.  And to put the entire thing in a hornet's nest, you're probably a candidate for a CDL depending on the truck.

Dave McAdoo
Tobruk Trailers
since 1984  
Latts55
Reg. Feb 2014
Posted 2018-04-07 7:46 PM (#171494 - in reply to #171492)

You will have no problem
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2018-04-07 7:54 PM (#171495 - in reply to #171492)

Veteran

I had a Featherlite 13’ LQ, that was 8’ wide, 3 horse trailer. It was 28’ on the floor and weighed around 11,700 lbs. with tack, hay, feed, all the “people” stuff in the LQ- clothes, camping gear, cooking gear, etc. That is also with NO fresh water/grey water/ black water in the tanks and NO horses on it. I estimated that after adding horses it would have been over 15,000 lbs. easily.

I had an 2001 F-350 SRW with the 7.3 PowerStroke, 4 X 4, with Timbrens on it. The truck sat fairly level with the trailer on it, but I never had more than one horse on it. Braking was not an issue as long as the trailer brakes
worked. I struggled up big, long hills on interstates if I did not start running hard at the bottom or got bogged down behind a slow big rig.

I moved up to a 2016 RAM 3500 cab and chassis dually 4 X 4 with a 6.7 Cummins and have no regrets. I did notice much more stability with more tires.

I would think your trailer would weigh more than what mine did with even more length and a slide. The only way to know for sure is to load it up and run it over a scale. I personally would not do it without a dually.

Edited by Cutter1999 2018-04-07 7:59 PM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2018-04-08 12:44 AM (#171496 - in reply to #171492)

Expert

The fifth-wheel setup of a 2016 Ford boosts the max up to 16,500 (SRW)...your danger point will be the load sitting on that SRW axle...you can find your axle capacities in the following manual

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_16RVTTgde_r2_Oct23.pdf

Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off the the CAT scale you go, to get real time axle loading numbers...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2018-04-08 12:46 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-04-08 12:55 AM (#171498 - in reply to #171492)

Expert

There are two numbers that assure you are within design specifications.  The truck's GCVWR   This is the total loaded weight of the truck and trailer.  It changes according to the truck's engine & axle ratio.  The other number is the hitch weight of the trailer.  This is limited by the truck's payload and axle loading.  The ONLY accurate way to get the hitch weight is taking the loaded trailer to a scale.  ANY other answer is only opinion or a guess.

The following is incorrect :
"...With the SRW you sacrifice some stability but actually have more carrying capacity than a DRW because the added weight of the duals causes a subtraction from the overall capacity of the 1T truck..."

You have LESS carrying or load capacity with a SRW.  The limiting factor is the tires.  Duals can carry more weight. *  The added weight of the tires reduces only the max loaded trailer weight.  GCVWR stays the same. I prefer max stability when towing horses that shift and move.

* some heavy trucks have tires known as "Super singles"  these are special tires designed to replace duals.  

See what truckers have to say about super singles. http://www.truckingtruth.com/truckers-forum/Topic-52/Page-1/super-singles-vs-conventional-rear-duals

Edited by hosspuller 2018-04-08 1:00 AM
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2018-04-08 1:19 AM (#171499 - in reply to #171492)

Veteran

ebachle,

I am glad that your are reaching out to confirm if your truck is capable of pulling your proposed trailer ... there are lots of OPINIONS out there, but what you really need to look at and understand is the load ratings of your truck. There are lots of trucks pulling trailers that are significantly overloaded that put themselves, their horses and other motorists at risk.

Here is a portion of an earlier post of mine which may help to answer if your F350 SRW is capable of pulling a 15 ft, 3H LQ trailer. You will have to check your actual numbers but my "educated guess" (without knowing your actual truck / trailer ratings and weights ) is that any 1 ton SRW truck is VERY UNLIKELY to be sufficiently rated for the trailer you refer to due the GVWR limitation of the truck. The following should help to explain why:

"We pull a 3H x 8 ft wide x 13 ft LQ trailer that weighs 11,750 lbs empty and 16,700 lbs with two horses, tack, panels, water, firewood, hay and everything else we take horse camping. Our truck is a 2011 F350, 6.7L diesel, dually (DRW). The GVWR of the trailer is 18,500 lbs, but this is a rating only … you really need to take your loaded truck and trailer over a scale to determine the actual weight of all truck and trailer axles and then do a load calculation to determine if your truck and trailer are adequately rated for your planned loads.

The pin weight of our loaded trailer is 4400 lbs which works out to be 26% of the trailer weight. As you may know, the pin weight (weight on the gooseneck hitch) gets transferred to your tow vehicle and the truck GVWR often becomes the limiting factor when towing a LQ horse trailer.

Given the load ratings shown below, we are at our GVWR load capacity limit with this truck / trailer combination.

When choosing a tow vehicle, you need to look at all the limiting factors (not just the towing capacity). With our 16,700 lb trailer, our load ratings are as follows (based on actual scaled weights and our truck / trailer / tire ratings):
1) Truck GVWR – 100% of capacity
2) Truck Front Axle – 85% of capacity
3) Truck Front Tire – 82% of capacity at 80 psi inflation pressure
4) Truck Rear Axle – 91% of capacity
5) Truck Rear Tires – 72% of capacity at 80 psi inflation pressure
6) Truck GCVW – 85% of capacity
7) Truck - Trailer Towing Rating – 78% of capacity
8) Trailer GVWR – 90% of capacity
9) Trailer Axle – 88% of capacity (assumes each axle is equally loaded)
10) Trailer Tires – 82% of capacity at 110 psi inflation pressure (assumes each tire is equally loaded)

As you can see from the above, although we are only at 78% of our Truck Trailer Towing Rating, we are at 100% of our Truck GVWR. The Truck Trailer Towing Rating can be a very misleading number when towing a LQ horse trailer due to the heavy pin weight. In a lot of cases with a LQ trailer, the Truck GVWR often becomes your limiting factor.

Whatever truck you choose, you should ensure that for safety (and legal reasons), that you are within ALL of the capacity ratings (not just the Trailer Towing Rating). Just like a chain, a truck is only as strong as it’s weakest link! "

Here are some links to a few previous discussions that may help you to size a truck for your trailer:
https://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21448...
http://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20602
http://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20367
http://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18294

Regards, 3CW
ebachle
Reg. Apr 2018
Posted 2018-04-08 9:50 AM (#171500 - in reply to #171492)

New User

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments. The consensus seems to be what I assumed, which was either less trailer or more truck. Thank you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)