'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
The brake controller/ hookup

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-03-28 3:13 PM
2 replies, 3039 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2018-03-25 6:26 PM (#171439)
Subject: The brake controller/ hookup

Expert

Theres a post on facebook by someone on a horse related group about the right way to hook up the emergency pull of the trailer brake box.This was shared from Lakota,showing a carbiner hooked to the truck bed chain hitch ring with the breakaway cable hooked to the carbiner.I know a lot of folks wind it through one of their hitch chains but if they happen to fail it won't work.we just put it over the hitch ball for years.
heres my question and you'd think I would know this: isn't the emergency brake controller feature dependent on a battery inside it being fresh in order to activate? Or will it activate through the truck hot wire hookup in an emergency? 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-03-26 8:22 PM (#171443 - in reply to #171439)
Subject: RE: The brake controller/ hookup

Expert

The e-brake needs the battery on the trailer. Most of the trailers I've seen have a small battery on the trailer neck. I suppose, It could be run off the LQ battery.

The truck connection is only to charge the battery. If the hitch fails, the truck / trailer wire will be torn away.
BS Hauler
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2018-03-28 3:13 PM (#171462 - in reply to #171439)
Subject: RE: The brake controller/ hookup

Regular

The small battery on the trailer is there to activate the electric brakes on  the trailer once the pin is pulled in the brakeaway. Not all trailers are set up to charge the battery from the pickup. And yes the emergency pin should get pulled just before your emergency chains become tight. You want the brakes of the trailer on once the chains become tight to have a controlled stop. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)