'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
German Bridge Campground Kentucky

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-07-14 1:51 PM
3 replies, 4216 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2018-02-14 11:18 AM (#171265)
Subject: German Bridge Campground Kentucky

I found info about the campground but nothing about the trails. Difficulty, number of miles, etc. Thanks in advance for your help!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mira
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2018-11-07 8:53 AM (#172016 - in reply to #171265)
Subject: RE: German Bridge Campground Kentucky

Regular

Is it German Ridge or German Bridge? If German Ridge it’s primitive campground with water for horses but not humans,there are about 23 miles of trails with cutbacks. I wouldnt stay there alone as it’s very secluded. Trails are really good some flat,some rocky ,some hilly. 

Mira

Edited by Mira 2018-11-07 8:54 AM
ackcyates
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-01-27 11:43 PM (#172160 - in reply to #171265)

New User

I live about an hour and a half from this campground. It is in a secluded area. Absolutely no cell reception. Has both primitive and camper/trailer hook ups. The trails vary in length and difficulty. The biggest trail is roughly 25-30 miles. This trail consists of a short black top ride, open strip job ( about half the trail) and the other half consists of the "down and back" trail that I will mention next. This is a moderate difficulty trail at best. There is a "down and back" type trail that is approximately 7 miles each way. This trail is rather easy/moderate. A couple steep hills to climb and descend but nothing treacherous. You ride next to the backwaters of Dewey Lake the whole time. Very cool riding in the mountains. There is a new trail that they were working on the last time I was down there which was in October so I'm not sure how it is.

I highly recommend this campground for horse enthusiasts. The campground hosts a couple organized rides a year as well. Very laid back and not at all crowded unless there is an organized ride. This campground is shut down during hunting season due to the location being in a state park. There are stalls available, corrals, and if you choose you can picket line your horses.

However a couple of things to keep in mind....
1. If you travel in a rather large rig this is not the place for you. There is one extremely tight hair pin switch back turn and a "s" curve with a bridge that limits trailer size getting to the campground. I wouldn't recommend anything over a 30 foot box if hauling with a normal pickup. A flatbed truck could likely get a larger trailer through the switch back curve.
2. There is a very steep winding mountain you must cross to get to the campground.
3. Absolutely no cell reception
4. It is a good 30-45 minute drive to closest gas station or grocery.
5. Bring your own firewood if in state. If travelling from out of state research locals who sale firewood. The campground usually keeps it but is likely to be green and hard to burn.
6. There is a dump station.
7. Of everything mentioned above the one thing that is most important is.... IF IT IS RAINING, HAS RAINED, OR WILL RAIN...DO NOT AND I MEAN DO NOT GO!!! This place when wet is a swamp. The lake rises and makes it miserable. Even a four wheel drive is useless when this place is wet.

rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2019-07-14 1:51 PM (#172537 - in reply to #171265)

Thank you for the info!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World