'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Is there a lemon law on LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-01-24 8:01 PM
6 replies, 4907 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Guess
Reg. Jan 2018
Posted 2018-01-23 7:22 PM (#171184)
Subject: Is there a lemon law on LQ

New User

We purchased a brand new LQ which was sent back to the factory to fix water leaks on slide out. After 6 weeks it was returned to us with bigger leaks then before. It now leaks while closed going down the road. It is on its second time at the factory for repair. My question is... has anyone had any success in getting a lemon law or buy back?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slow ride
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2018-01-23 8:54 PM (#171185 - in reply to #171184)
Subject: RE: Is there a lemon law on LQ

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but lemon laws apply to motor vehicles not trailers. If they did the whole rv industry would be in turmoil!
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2018-01-24 5:09 AM (#171189 - in reply to #171185)

Veteran

Slow ride - 2018-01-23 8:54 PM Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but lemon laws apply to motor vehicles not trailers. If they did the whole rv industry would be in turmoil!

And only in some states as this is a state law not a federal law.   
Guess
Reg. Jan 2018
Posted 2018-01-24 6:05 AM (#171190 - in reply to #171184)

New User

Ok, let me clarify what I have found. Texas lemon law does cover RV'S. we purchased the trailer registered as an RV from Oregon but it was registered and paid TX sales tax. Any ideas? I think it is time to lawyer up. This trailer has never had a horse in it!
Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2018-01-24 10:21 AM (#171191 - in reply to #171184)

Regular

You didn't say who the manufacturer is, but I would think that only the trailer shell manufacturer would be liable for the slide out installation and not the conversion company, so maybe there's a lemon law in the state where the shell was manufactured no matter who installed the interior.  I sell Platinum trailers and like all higher end trailers it's a 2 part process, the shell in one factory and then sent to another factory for the conversion.  Entry level trailers do both the shell and the LQ as one unit and certain brands have an unusually high incidence of slide out problems.  I actually stopped selling one entry level brand because of the warranty problems.  I think it would be extrememly hard to have a trailer manufacturer buy back the trailer if the living quarters was installed by a different company. 

All the dealer is required to do is send the trailer for repair under warranty, so I would think you should go directly to the shell manufacturer to pursue a buy back deal with them.  If it's a manufacturer that cares about their reputation, I would imagine they will work something out with you, but unfortunately, there are companies that slap trailers and LQ's together and sell them cheap and you get problems (especially with slide outs) more often than with better brands.  I would give them a couple more times to repair the trailer as I think most lemon laws require 4 attempts.  I wouldn't threaten a lawsuit unless you have exhausted all other options.  You want to keep them in your corner and working hard for you, at least until it's obvious there's no fixing it.
akinstrailers
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2018-01-24 4:24 PM (#171195 - in reply to #171184)

Veteran

Generally Lemon Law's will be based on where the vehicled is originally titled.  Most states have some variation of a Lemon Law and most of the time is not limited to just motorized vehicles.  In Oregon for example, the manufacturer has to exceed 4 attempts to repair the same issue and/or a certain number of consecutive days the trailer has been out of service before Lemon Law can be enacted.  In CA on the other hand, the bar is much lower to enact Lemon Law and the cost of losing a legal challenge is much more expensive for the manufacturer.  There is the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act as well if your state does not have a Lemon Law.  From your post though it sounds as if the manufacturer is trying to do the right thing and fix your trailer.  Hopefully everything can be resolved amicably.      
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2018-01-24 8:01 PM (#171197 - in reply to #171184)

Expert

Guess - 2018-01-23 10:22 PM We purchased a brand new LQ which was sent back to the factory to fix water leaks on slide out. After 6 weeks it was returned to us with bigger leaks then before. It now leaks while closed going down the road. It is on its second time at the factory for repair. My question is... has anyone had any success in getting a lemon law or buy back?

You need to speak to an attorney who can advise you of your options...
Document...Document...Document...each step of this process...
Do you have written correspondence? If not, start putting everything in writing...because verbal promises are as good as the paper they are written on if you end up having to go to court...
Get names and their job title at every encounter...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)