'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
(New here) help buying new. Not for horses. A few ???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-01-29 10:06 PM
12 replies, 4531 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Leftishut
Reg. Jan 2018
Posted 2018-01-18 10:08 AM (#171147)
Subject: (New here) help buying new. Not for horses. A few ???

Hello everyone,

I have been researching for months on in and just now found this wonderful forum!

(I have searched the site, but seem to have trouble doing so effectively)

My wife and I would really appreciate any wisdom offered.

We are wanting to build a full time trailer for volunteer disaster relief rebuilding work and the like. We have been saving for almost three years to buy cash and avoid debt so we can be free to work. My wife does graphic design and I am a pest control tech so we have a chunk of cash that was hard earned and we don’t want to make a mistake. We believe in profit and want who ever works with us to make it! But I don’t want to hand over excessive profit.

We will not transport stock or horses at all ever. We bought a used but well kept 2002 f350 7.3 gvwr 9,900lbs and capable of gooseneck rated at 13,700lbs plus pin weight (we don’t want to max it). It will not be a vacation trailer zipping everywhere but it will be full time lived in and moved at least monthly and across USA to disaster rebuild sites.

We have 3 possible paths in front of us.

1) custom built all galvanized trailer by a builder with a great reputation in Star Idaho (if we can afford him, waiting on first bid)

2) all aluminum Featherlite or sundowner (or others but these are localish) combo stock trailer. (We need custom build do to needing 8’ wide at least and raised roof to 8’6”)

3) used trailer of any kind or brand but must be extra wide and tall which we don’t think would be easy to find, but if first 2 options are over budget we will be forced to (we will not go into debt).

Our questions:

1)Aluminum or all galvanized, which way would you go and why?

2)Since it will be full custom the galvanized trailer will be more specific. But if we go semi custom dealer aluminum with non refundable deposit (how much would you give?) and pay cash how much off of msrp would be reasonable in the combo stock trailer market (I know TVs are way marked up, but imagine stock trailers much less)?

We are having the back door not put in and extrusion walled up instead and no horse items inside (no mats or gates or lighting) and a side ramp made. 2x 8k axles. All trailers to be 32’ total length 8’- 8’4” wide and 8’6” tall.

Last question: is there anything we should know that we may be missing????

Thank you very much! Others experience and wisdom could save us time, stress, effort and valuables.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Leftishut
Reg. Jan 2018
Posted 2018-01-18 11:39 AM (#171148 - in reply to #171147)
Subject: RE: (New here) help buying new. Not for horses. A few ???

*RV not Television sets
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-01-18 4:09 PM (#171152 - in reply to #171147)

Expert

First what are your needs? What are you going to haul? Equipment or just a living area?

Instead of a custom trailer built from scratch... Consider a toy hauler. They have a back ramp and lots of room. Horse / livestock trailers are built very stout to haul horses/livestock. You won't need the structure if there are no large animals.
Leftishut
Reg. Jan 2018
Posted 2018-01-18 4:20 PM (#171153 - in reply to #171147)

Just living items and my 82 Honda xr200 dirt bike. Stout is why we are doing this. Everything built in the rv world is built horribly imo. We are not planning on buying a house in this lifetime so this will hope fully take its place and allow us enough free time help on projects.

I have heard Featherlite and the like are not as well built as say 4 Star, but I was hoping since we should only be carrying mostly static weight it would be enough. It’s way better than a normal rv.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2018-01-19 1:08 AM (#171157 - in reply to #171147)

Expert

Get involved with Samaritan’s Purse https://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/us-disaster-relief/

or 
get involved with habitat for humanity's Disaster Response program BEFORE you spend money 
https://www.habitat.org/impact/our-work/disaster-response? 

Edited by PaulChristenson 2018-01-19 1:10 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-01-19 1:14 AM (#171159 - in reply to #171147)

Expert

I am not convinced galvanized is equal to aluminum in a trailer. Welds and hardware are still exposed. Repairing galvanized structural parts is a very specialized skill with hard to find facilities. I would be more inclined toward aluminum and SS hardware.

10 to 20 years is a long time. Galvanized protection gets consumed over time. Then the rust begins.

On Disaster relief... devastated areas don't have the facilities and people to support travelers. Unless you're self supporting and have a local contact to apply your talents, you could be a hindrance rather than a help.
Leftishut
Reg. Jan 2018
Posted 2018-01-19 7:46 AM (#171160 - in reply to #171147)

Thank you,

We will not hinder. We would be going in an organized fashion with a group directing (Faith base world wide org). Also long hall work, Katrina for example had rebuilding organized for 5 years after.

We plan on dumping a good amount into the trailer to make it very off grid-able. Solar/propane/ wood composting toilet and transfer tanks on truck so trailer can sit in place.

Leftishut
Reg. Jan 2018
Posted 2018-01-19 7:57 AM (#171161 - in reply to #171147)

Well bid for the first aluminum trailer came in at $44,000! Base combo stock was $18,000 msrp.

I can easily pull $10k off that due to I wanted a price air ride and such we don’t need at all. But $34k over $18k msrp. I really underestimated buy new!

Looks like used is the only option that will be in our range. Is there any kind of horse or stock trailer that would come in 8’ wide at least (and would love the highest roof as possible)?
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-01-19 6:58 PM (#171163 - in reply to #171147)

Expert

Lots of 8 foot wide trailers available. Just look at the wheels. If the wheels stick out, it's a 7 foot trailer. If the wheels are about flush with side, it's an 8 foot wide. Wheel spacing maximum is a federal DOT standard. Anything wider requires permits. (Expensive, temporary, and troublesome)

I still think a toy hauler type trailer would suit your needs. Living quarters, and large open area for hauling stuff.

Have you looked at toy hauler trailers on-line ?
Leftishut
Reg. Jan 2018
Posted 2018-01-19 7:22 PM (#171164 - in reply to #171147)

Thank you.

Yes, we started with toy haulers. We want a combo stock or horse trailer look becuase they are built better look “cute” and are discreet and able to blend in out in the country.

The only down sides are cost (worth it for build quality) and that the vast majority are 7’ wide and 7’ tall.

Some are 7’6” tall which we could make work (we wanted 8” spray closed cell insulation on ceiling and 3-4” on walls) and 8’ can be found.

From further research I understand we would like a trailer for “warm bloods” or a “LQ” trailer. Possibly a “lq” that has been trashed but the structure is still good since we will be stripping down anyway.

I have a contact with access to aluminum at a very good price and a friend with a mig and tig. I have the skill for some repair work or mod work but not enough to build a structure from scratch.

Still waiting on a few more bids but if they are anything like the one out of Star Idaho we will be forced to by used and mod it (I am not against the idea at all). Just have to wait for a good deal on a used trailer to come up.

Stock combo or horse trailer is for sure. We have thought about and decided against cargo trailers, rvs, toy haulers, tiny houses and school buses (liked school busses the most but want only one engine to maintain, didn’t want our house and vehicle to break down at the same time and need a work duty truck that can be in action once in place)
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-01-21 5:36 PM (#171171 - in reply to #171147)

Expert

I hope you find the trailer that meets your needs and desires.
Best wishes on your endeavor ... May you be a good witness.
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2018-01-22 4:37 PM (#171176 - in reply to #171147)

Veteran

Just throwing this out there, but you would probably much better off with a Bus, and pulling your truck on a trailer.  There are lots of bus out there cheap and in all stages.  anything you buy or build once you set it up for full timing will tax your truck alot.  
HorShe
Reg. Feb 2017
Posted 2018-01-29 10:06 PM (#171220 - in reply to #171147)

I would also opt for a bus for convenience over trailer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)