'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hot Water Heater lines

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-12-30 9:55 AM
6 replies, 3613 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-12-23 8:44 AM (#170987)
Subject: Hot Water Heater lines

Regular

I have a 03 Sundowner Trailblazer 3 that we have narrowed down our search for a water leak that created substantial floor damage over a period of a year or so.  Think it is the lines to the hot water heater which is located under my frig and can see the lines but not able to reach them to  change them out.  Any suggestions in changing them.  Have a couch that sits next to the frig but didn't know easiest way to access these lines.  Surely hope I don't have to take the frig out.    Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may share.   Merry Christmas 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2017-12-24 5:56 AM (#170993 - in reply to #170987)
Subject: RE: Hot Water Heater lines

Veteran

There is no easy way.  Most likely the lines were one of the 1st items in and they built around them when they did the LQ.  Are you re-doing the floor?  Maybe you can reroute the line at that time.
honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-12-24 6:33 AM (#170994 - in reply to #170987)

Regular

We did the floor already but didn't look like any easy way to change lines.   Thanks for suggestion 
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2017-12-27 4:16 PM (#171004 - in reply to #170987)

Elite Veteran

Granted the water lines are plastic and are now 15 years old, so anything is possible. But it isn't usually the line itself leaking, but rather at a union/junction/connection somewhere. Before I just jumped in to replace everything, I believe I'd try harder to find exactly where the leak is. Sundowners of that era will have threaded fittings at the end of Pex line, that while a pain, are able to be replaced in place usually. And any fittings are usually not horribly hidden. Any water lines will be under the fridge cabinet. Taking fridge out will not help you.

Now- just reread your post. Generally, if you have a water leak large enough to do that, you will hear the pump cycle on and off as it pushes water out. If it does not cycle while sitting "on" for hours at a time, I'd suggest you look higher up for a leak. We have seen older refrigerators that the drain hose (that is supposed to run out the side vent to outside) had rotted away, and the fridge's inside condensation ran into the coach. The fridge vents are certainly suspect as well, and can allow water back into the coach, usually coming down that outside wall and down to the floor.  Caulk is your friend. On the roof, and the vents. And be sure and use a non-hardening polyurethane caulk for any repairs. The Sika-Flex product is good.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-12-27 5:26 PM (#171006 - in reply to #170987)

Elite Veteran

Answers like RT gave are one reason I like this site. Thanks and I will save this answer in my memory bank ( although I hope I never have to use it - LOL)
honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-12-28 5:12 PM (#171007 - in reply to #171006)

Regular

Have heard my pump kick on during the nite while nothing is supposed to be running.  Have checked the drain lines on frig also and they seem o.k.  Will just try to reach fittings.  Just was thinking since unit is so old might just as well replace the entire heater.   Thanks for the info.. 
Wrangler48
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2017-12-30 9:55 AM (#171060 - in reply to #171007)

Hello, just a suggestion to check if the plug on the outside of the water heater is slowly leaking. had that once when I reinstalled plastic plug after winterizing and did not use Teflon tape. it leaked only when heater was 'on' . Hot water expansion. did not leak when heater was off and cooled down.
could explain pump running at night as we usually leave water heater on at night for AM hot water being available.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)