'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Battery charging,solar ,generator questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-07-18 3:44 PM
10 replies, 8135 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lauraD
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2017-12-09 12:34 PM (#170927)
Subject: Battery charging,solar ,generator questions

Hi- I am a newbie to LQ trailers and have Q that are likely very basic- have looked at other posts and seen some good info, but want to clarify. My new Cimarron has a small LQ with 16k btu ducted furnace (1 vent in main area, other in bathroom) ,13.5k btu non ducted AC, 6 cu ft refrig that can run on propane or electric, 2 burner propane stove, microwave, water heater, water pump,shower, toilet, radio/cd player . All lights are LED. It has hydraulic jack. It has 2 "deep cycle marine batteries"- whatever that means. and 2 propane tanks
There are basically 3 things on which I would like input-
1. when trailer is not in use , what is best way to deal with battery charge maintenance?- Solar powered trickle charger which I assume will charge the batteries with the battery disconnect switch "off"- and I guess I would want one the somehow does not overcharge or turns itself on and off as needed- does that exist?
I have seen people in forum saying they leave plugged in to shore power with disconnect switch "0n" but have been told by an RV dealer that could lead to problems with the inverter/converter in the trailer failing. It would be easier in my situation to use a battery charger
. It really irks me to pay $4-450 for hook ups at horseshows. so that leads to my next 2 questions
2. If it cool enough that I do not need the AC and I don't need the microwave, what would it take in the way of solar panels to keep the batteries charged for a week or two at a time. Assume I will want hot water and likely the furnace will be in use .What is best way to hook them up? Also, how do I figure out how long the propane will last? If it is not sunny, how long to drain the batteries ?
3. Generators- no place to install in trailer- would have to be portable-I am older,smaller woman so anything I lift would need to be under 100 #- or I suppose I could put it on a dolly in rear tack and get it out when I arrive- but ideally would want to transport it in the LQ area or back of my truck which would mean hoisting it in and out. What size, brands does anyone like? what would it take to keep batteries charged ? What additional do I need if I want to run the microwave? What if I wanted to run the AC?
Whew- lots of questions- I will continue to review other threads and look forward to hearing from folks
Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RayRocks
Reg. Dec 2017
Posted 2017-12-09 4:12 PM (#170929 - in reply to #170927)
Subject: RE: Battery charging,solar ,generator questions

Thank you for posting your questions. I am new to LQ too and will watch your replies. Good luck (to both of us!)!!!
lauraD
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2017-12-09 6:51 PM (#170931 - in reply to #170927)

Good to know I have company:)
In viewing other threads, looks like Q 1 could be done by just using whatever panels I need for #2 with a device to prevent overcharging and discharging- unless there is some drawback to that-would save a little $- 1 less thing to buy
Steve-O
Reg. Mar 2016
Posted 2017-12-12 8:29 AM (#170938 - in reply to #170927)

Veteran

Totally depends on use -  a solar panel will help.  A 2000w portable generator will charge your batteries and help run everything in the trailer.  Need at least 3000w if not 4000w generators to run AC and microwave.  Go camping and find out.
hitmis
Reg. Oct 2017
Posted 2017-12-13 11:23 PM (#170945 - in reply to #170927)

I have a 2017 EXISS with 10' LQ Put all LED lamps in .I in staled 2 200 watt solar panels and a morning star PRO 30 solar controller and 2 DEEP CELL 12 volt battery,s was on a 6 week camp out .I have 2 Honda 2000 invert-er,s to run air conditioner .I only use it one day when it got real hot.I like the Generators they only whey about 70 LBS each and do not take up much space.

Thank You.
lauraD
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2017-12-23 12:45 PM (#170989 - in reply to #170927)

Thanks to everyone for input-appreciate it
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2018-01-04 5:22 AM (#171072 - in reply to #170927)

Elite Veteran

?I also use the two Honda 2000's twinned. I have a 20 gallon fuel tank mounted on the floor in the tack compartment with a shelf directly on top of it, The two generators ride on this shelf. When I get there I simply remove them and set them on the ground directly behind the trailer ( slighly to the side ) and I am go to go. I run about a week on 20-25 gallons using the AC at night. I really like them, very quite also
Tankerbell
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2018-03-02 5:19 PM (#171353 - in reply to #171072)

Regular

I too am considering Honda generator. Why did you choose 2-2000’s vs 3000? I have a ramp on my 3 H 13’ shortwall w slide, and thought I can just roll the 3000 down and up the ramp? Any thoughts? TIA
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2018-03-02 6:55 PM (#171354 - in reply to #170927)

Veteran

This is what I did :

I installed this solar panel permanently to the roof:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=solar+panel

and installed this solar controller, as it gives you all the data necessary to measure battery state, charge rate, and power consumed.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00MB0N8K6/?coliid=I19CQ9AIHES2HS&colid=...

I installed a 2nd Exide 24 series deep cell battery with a quick connect so I could move it between trailers when necessary.

Our trailer has led lights throughout, a 110v or LP gas water heater, and a 12v OR 110v refrigerator/freezer. The ceiling fans and water pump are also 12v.

The AC and microwave are 110v - and require a generator or shore power to run them.

I also have 2 Honda 2000i generators. I chose these as they are extremely quiet, 50# each, and you can run just 1 at a time if you are not running the AC, while still plugged into the 30a RV plug.

This setup has worked very well for us, even living in the trailer for 2 months straight when building our place. Keep in mind - we are on Florida with ‘Endless Sun’ (only 7 days without sun during 2017).

The solar panel and controller will keep batteries topped without overcharging, and the generator can be started for 5-10 minutes while you ‘cook’ with the microwave.

I usually also heat water on 110v while the generator is running as it only takes 15 minutes to heat enough to shower with.

You will also boost you batteries pretty quickly whenever you run a generator, but it won’t be necessary if you have decent sun.

There is also an equivalent solar panel available now via Amazon that is a bit cheaper:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0772PD96K/?coliid=I2DXFUT32PQ8F0&colid=...

Caterpillar also recently released their INV2000 generators with a connector cable that includes the 30a RV plug - for about $750/ vs 1000/ for the Honda’s.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077338B8F/?coliid=I1EWLYFJ6WRM9U&colid=...

As stated by others above, it all depends on your usage, available sun, and keeping track of your arrangement to know how long your batteries will last. The more batteries - the longer you will last without sun.
The same goes for LP usage and the size of your tank.

Just turn everything off when you aren’t using it.

Good luck !
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2018-03-04 7:59 AM (#171360 - in reply to #170927)

Elite Veteran

?The two 2000's twinned give you 4000 watts total and each one individually are lighter than the 3000. I have found that they are more fuel efficient when running both instead of one. On a recent trip i was using only heat, no A/C. I ran just one and found that I burnt more fuel than in previous trips when I ran two. Just FYI. 
Kenanel
Reg. May 2021
Posted 2021-07-18 3:44 PM (#174644 - in reply to #170927)

New User

If earlier you could save money at the expense of solar panels, now you may be obliged to use them. California became the first US state to have solar panels in all new residential buildings up to three stories high. Through the use of solar energy, homeowners will be able to save about $ 19,000 over 30 years. Residents are also advised to install energy storage devices. I also take this chance, I even found a tariff https://www.simplyswitch.com/energy/guides/economy-10-tariffs/. The law will not apply to houses that are in shaded areas. Also, homeowners will be exempted from meeting the requirements if they already purchase electricity at lower prices than those that will be after the installation of solar panels.

Edited by Kenanel 2021-07-18 3:45 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)