'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What is a Reasonable Amount to Expect for Trade-In Value?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-11-14 8:07 AM
3 replies, 3676 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2017-11-11 12:08 PM (#170829)
Subject: What is a Reasonable Amount to Expect for Trade-In Value?

Veteran

After much research, we have a very good idea of what our current trailer would retail for. What should we expect to be offered for trade in?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-11-11 1:13 PM (#170830 - in reply to #170829)
Subject: RE: What is a Reasonable Amount to Expect for Trade-In Value?

Elite Veteran

?I would think 65-70 percent of retail but i am not in that business
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-11-14 7:45 AM (#170838 - in reply to #170829)

Extreme Veteran

There are other things that affect the trade-in amount offered. Sometimes a considerable amount must be spent to make the trade-in sellable. A trailer that is sparkling clean inside and out will be a huge plus. Minor or sometimes major repairs will be necessary. Advertising graphics will de-value (is this a word?) a trailer. All this, and it is still a gamble for the dealer.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2017-11-14 8:07 AM (#170839 - in reply to #170829)

Elite Veteran

Interesting question. I live right up the road from a dealer, and am in there a lot hanging out chatting about horses and trailers. What Kay said is right. That farm name you so loved on your trailer is a pain to the next person. And no- a hair dryer does not remove all evidence. And if you custom ordered it, ouch. Possibly means not many folks will want it except at a deal. I've overheard so many folks bragging about their special trailer, that just seemed wierd to me.

But what I see more often, is a disagreement between what the trailer guys, and the trailer's current owner seem to think it will bring. The owner always gets on the 'net, and sees what trailers are listed for, and picks the most expensive one. The trailer guys see the similar trailer that has been listed for less, has 1000+ hits, and hasn't sold yet. So maybe even it is too high?

When I'm watching, they seem to be closer to 80+ % on trade in. Even 85% if everything is perfect. At least that amount, of what they feel it will bring. But, I've been watching the used inventory on 2 lots in my area, and I've seen some trailers that I thought would sell quickly, that haven't. So there is obviously some risk for a dealer to take your trade in. 

Hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)