'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailers with slides

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-09-25 1:36 PM
5 replies, 4518 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2017-09-14 7:42 AM (#170619)
Subject: Trailers with slides

Veteran

What is your experience with trailers with slides?  My only experience is approx 10 years ago, two seperate trailers had issues (wouldnt go back in and leaked).

Possibly looking at a new/used trailer and have been excluding anything with a slide.  Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steve-O
Reg. Mar 2016
Posted 2017-09-14 8:26 AM (#170620 - in reply to #170619)
Subject: RE: Trailers with slides

Veteran

I have many friends that have various brands and never had much of a problem  Personally I would prefer to just have an 8 foot wide trailer and will never buy one with a slide out. I have seen some you cant even walk through the trailer without running the slide out some. Seems like more to deal with and we use our trailer every week.
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2017-09-14 10:22 AM (#170621 - in reply to #170619)

Veteran

Steve-O - Thank you for your comments. That was one of my concerns but didnt think that would be an issue as I always have had space to push the slide out.  I have stayed away from them in the past because I don't want to run into problems.  The additional space would be a plus, but I am sure you are also adding more weight to the trailer to accomodate the framing/mechanicals of the slide.
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2017-09-14 12:27 PM (#170623 - in reply to #170619)

Regular

We purchased a new Trails West with a slide out last year and really love it.  We did have a little problem on about the third or fourth trip.  We'd been in Wyoming and moved on to the Black Hills of SD.  Once there, the slide out did not move out.  I was very concerned and drove to an area where we had cel reception and called the dealer.  He got us in direct contact with the factory and they went through some things to check.  They also put a new motor (which they and others said almost never go bad) and other components in overnight mail to a business where I made arrangements to pick up the package, all at no cost to me.  We met a camper back at the horse camp who asked why I was looking under my trailer and I explained.  He was an electrical engineer and asked if he could take a look.  Within 20-30 minutes he found a connection that was loose and fixed it.
   At first the experience bothered me, but I'm glad it happened.  I went through the manual and learned how easy it is to use a rachet to move the slide out and back in, and how simple the lock is that prevents it from opening going down the road.  I've done it several times just as a test or review and I will never fear having that issue again.  Whether dead battery or burned out motor, we'll always be able to operate the slide manually.  And on the positive note, we've never had any issue since.
   We love the extra space that the slide out gives us.  We can have another couple in for dinner and everyone can move around without pushing each other out of the way.  I have actually pulled into rest areas or truck stops to spend the night without moving the slide out.  There is still plenty of room to turn on the generator, get food from the fridge or freezer and cook on the stove or in the microwave.  I have to reach around the slide to open the bathroom door, but I can't say it's a tight fit or bothersome at all.
    I can't tell you exactly how much extra weight the slide out adds, but I've heard others say it's about 500lbs.  We think it's well worth it but of course, everyone has their own wants, needs and opinions.  It's our first trailer with a slide out, but I doubt we'd buy another one without a slide. 
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-09-14 5:31 PM (#170626 - in reply to #170619)

Elite Veteran

I would hate to get a trailer without a slide. We really like it
joskt0204
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2017-09-25 1:36 PM (#170698 - in reply to #170619)

Regular

I love my slide once it's out.  The extra rom is amazing.  I do worry about it, and should probably follow the advice above and do it manually, just so I know I can and quit worrying about it!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)