'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tell me more about brand inspections and certified weed free hay please

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-09-15 6:07 AM
4 replies, 4544 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2017-07-23 3:33 PM (#170320)
Subject: Tell me more about brand inspections and certified weed free hay please

Extreme Veteran

A friend and I are planning to do an endurance ride in Wyoming next summer.   We'll be driving from Kentucky.   How do I know which states require certified weed free hay, and where do we find it once we're on the road?   

Also brand inspections - KY doesn't require them and I'm not really clear what they are.  It's something else besides a coggins and HC, right?   my horses are microchipped and freeze branded but apparently it has nothing to do w/ a brand but proof of ownership?    and if I don't have an sales receipt for the horse then what? 

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2017-07-24 3:15 PM (#170322 - in reply to #170320)
Subject: RE: Tell me more about brand inspections and certified weed free hay please

Elite Veteran

From what I understand, you call the state vet in the state which requires the brand inspection , and they issue you a number or something .  
TLR
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2017-07-24 6:57 PM (#170326 - in reply to #170320)
Subject: RE: Tell me more about brand inspections and certified weed free hay please

Regular

Acy,
I have traveled west many times from my home in Iowa. SD has a certified weed free program and a brand inspection program west of the Missouri  river . Certified hay must be used on any public land but not required at private facilities. You may be checked by brand inspector in SD or WY, but all that is required is current health certificate from your home vet that will have a picture or likeness drawing of your horse with any identifying marks, such as color and your brand and your final destination.  Also, you will need current coggins papers..That is all that has been required any place out west including CO.NM, and AZ . Just remember, you may carry your home hay in your trailer and use at private facilities, but it must stay in your trailer on public land. It is a good idea to start asking about buying certified hay as soon as you can if you have to stay on state or federal land in those states. Another option is to carry alfalfa cubes or pellets in case you need them but I would recomm end starting your horses on them early to make sure they get accustomed to them. Also, remember if you are at your destination state longer than 30 days you will want to renew your healrh certificate for the trip home. Hope you have a great trip!

TLR

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2017-09-14 5:58 PM (#170628 - in reply to #170320)

Expert

A brand inspection is just a form of ownership.  You don't have to have a brand on your horse.  Here in Utah, The Brand Inspector will look your horse. Check the database for any stolen/missing horses that might match your horse's description.  He takes photos of your horses and prints out a temporary brand inspection sheet and hands it to you. The laminated copy comes in the mail from the State Dept of Ag a few days later. Here it is like $25 per horse for a lifetime brand inspection.  So basically it's like a title to a car.  Proof of ownership.  Utah will also accept your horse's registration papers,  Wyoming wants to see a brand inspection.  If your state doesn't issue one. Just call ahead and meet the brand inspector at the Wyoming state line and he will issue one.

Certified hay is required on all PUBLIC lands.  Here in Utah that is 74% of the state. So pretty much any trail you ride will require that  you have certified hay. You are supposed to feed it for 3 days before riding on the trails.  Most pellets are considered certrified because the grinding and heating process to make pellets destroys most seeds.  Cubes will need to be made from Certified Hay. Since they are not ground as fine. Most of the feed stores in Utah sell certified hay.   My favorite local store is $8 a bale, but places CAL Ranch, Tractor Supply, IFA  etc will usually be about $12 per bale. Most of those places carry products like the Standlee compressed bales.

Most of the certified hay in Utah is Alfalfa. It's much easier to get certified.  RoundUp alfalfa makes it really easy for the farmer. I feed grass hay at home, But I don't mind feeding certified alfalfa when I'm on the trail  The horses are working harder and need the extra calories.

Be aware that places like Yellowstone Park will not even let you in the park with Non-Certified hay. So bringing hay from home doesn't work out. You will need to some hay when you get into the area you want to ride. (Pretty much any of the 14 western states require it)

DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2017-09-15 6:07 AM (#170632 - in reply to #170326)

Veteran

North Dakota is a "brand" state, also,  Again it is being able to prove ownership.  If you have registration papers, carry a copy  or a bill of sale.

Edited by DLR 2017-09-15 6:09 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)