'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1996 Sundowner Sunlite Sierra 4 horse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2020-02-19 11:30 AM
5 replies, 6099 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aqhanhra
Reg. Jun 2017
Posted 2017-06-30 5:07 PM (#170189)
Subject: 1996 Sundowner Sunlite Sierra 4 horse

New User

I am looking at my first full living quarters trailer. I have done my research and figured out what I can afford. I found a nice 1996 Sundowner Sunlite Sierra 4 horse. All aluminum, no slide out, Mangers with plenty of storage, hay rack with water tank, electric jacks, nice trailer, 38 ft. GVWR is 17,500. I will be pulling it with a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 6 speed dually. It does show some water damage above the shower and some on the floor in front of the shower door. It is well taken care of and the current owner just replaced the skylight in the bathroom, new brakes and brake drums, new packed bearings in tires, new (something) in fridge cause it wasn't working. Grey water tanks look good and water tank for trailer looks good. awning was replaced about 4 years ago. I really like the trailer but is $20,000 to much for it? I tried NADA to see and I don't understand their pricing for horse trailers. Also with 17,500 GVWR am I gonna need a CDL to haul it? I know I need to probably reseal the roof cause the sealer was starting to roll on the edges. Any thoughts on whether it would be something you would go for? I want something to haul 3 horses comfortably, so my daughter can continue to rodeo and I don't have to live without a bathroom again, tired of living in trailers without bathrooms, with home made kitchens (stove and refridge and dresser for storage), running electric cords through the door or window and her sleeping on a couch. My daughter high school rodeos in another state and all of our rodeos are 4-1/2 to 9 hours away and she qualified for NHSRA Finals in Wyoming. I will need to pull it across country so I want something safe. Thanks any thoughts on the 1996 sundowner sunlite sierras would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by aqhanhra 2017-06-30 5:10 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-07-01 8:31 AM (#170193 - in reply to #170189)
Subject: RE: 1996 Sundowner Sunlite Sierra 4 horse

Extreme Veteran

Be aware that re-sealing a roof correctly is a labor intensive job and can be expensive if you are paying someone else to do it.

Also, hopefully someone will comment on the "Sunlite" model as to whether or not the base frame is steel with "Suncoating", as that is another caveat.
aqhanhra
Reg. Jun 2017
Posted 2017-07-01 9:31 AM (#170195 - in reply to #170193)

New User

from what I have read, the 1998 up are the ones with the frame problems. This one has an aluminum frame. I was worried about that so I did some research on it.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2017-07-05 2:43 PM (#170218 - in reply to #170189)

Elite Veteran

Tough as nails. It is likely a 720 series, which was a great trailer. As long as you check the normal things, there are not "known issues" with that trailer. I can't appraise it of course, but there is a floor that trailer values seem to hit, and don't go much lower if they are in good condition. You are about there with a trailer this age. If you can register it as an RV, you'll be exempt from CDL requirements. 
stormyj
Reg. Sep 2018
Posted 2018-12-08 3:39 PM (#172074 - in reply to #170189)

I had a 95 trailer like this. Top of the line, my husband passed and i sold it because I didn't feel confortable pulling it. Still bought another old Sundowner. I finally bought a 96 3 horse like you have. Tough as they come. I paid 18 for it and its worth every penney. Has everything I wanted and more and to get everything that it has in a newer trailr would have cost 3 times as much if not more. they are good trailers, the old ones I know, never had a new one. I have said before, the old things like you daddys car, stand on the hood and it won't bend, do that on his new car now and see what happens. I would rather have that trailer than lots of the newer ones I have seen.
DIZROPIN
Reg. Feb 2020
Posted 2020-02-19 11:30 AM (#172982 - in reply to #170189)

New User

I had the misfortune of owning two Sundowners, totally my fault. The first 1 was a 4 horse gooseneck no living quarters. I had to pull that 1 to the Sacramento Horse Expo, so the team of traveling Sundowner technicians could repair the problems that trailer had, its was under warranty, but still. Should of wondered why Sundowner had team of traveling repair technicians, on their payroll. Sold that one and bought another Sundowner this 4 horse had living quarters, a Sundowner interior. Within a year my wife and I were visiting the dealership so they could repair the inferior interior, with inferior repairs. The dealer's customer service sucked, and when those issues were brought to the attention of corporate. Corporate basically sided with the dealer. I still look back and can't believe I bought a second one. Fool me once same on you, fool me twice shame on me, never again
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)