'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Chevy Colorado Duramax - yay or nay?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-10-02 11:04 PM
3 replies, 4770 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Nottingham
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-05-30 6:35 PM (#169972)
Subject: Chevy Colorado Duramax - yay or nay?

New User

Is a 2016 Chevy Colorado Duramax adequate to tow a light BP trailer with no dressing room and one horse?

I have no experience hauling and this is my first truck and trailer. I crunched the numbers and we seem to be well-within capacity. Truck's GVCWR is 12,700 and curb weight is around 4,700 (I did not weigh it myself yet). The wheelbase is similar to a Suburban (130") and it comes with an exhaust brake as part of the towing package. Trailer is aluminum on steel frame and 1500lbs unladen per the title. Horse is admittedly large at 17h but does not do well with others so will be traveling exclusively solo. I'm hoping to do short local trips a few times a month, with the max distance of about 2 hours away for a particular location once or twice a year. Mid Atlantic region so not flat but not the Rockies either. I don't anticipate towing more than 3,500lbs.

I got the smaller diesel because I drive at least 60 miles a day to either work or the barn. A small gas daily driver and separate tow vehicle sounds lovely but is not in the cards at the moment. I'm a numbers person so I thought I could have my cake and eat it too with the mini Duramax, but I do lack in experience. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? I love driving the truck so far and 30+mpg is awesome, but I need to be safe too.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2017-05-30 7:14 PM (#169974 - in reply to #169972)
Subject: RE: Chevy Colorado Duramax - yay or nay?

Veteran

We are thinking of a Diesel Colorado as our next truck. We are also thinking of pulling a small trailer 3 horse slant.
Everything looks good with that truck and that trailer weight. The only thing I suggest doing is the thing I have done with every new truck I have purchased is to change engine, transfer case and axles to synthetic oil.
Geunther
Reg. Sep 2017
Posted 2017-10-02 8:02 AM (#170723 - in reply to #169972)

I think you will be well within the vehicle limits to tow your horse trailer. The vehicle weight should be enough to control the trailer with a single horse and the tack needed to enjoy your horse. Make sure to keep your trailer brakes in top condition, and maintain the tire pressure on both vehicles. Enjoy the ride
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2017-10-02 11:04 PM (#170729 - in reply to #169972)

Expert

Nottingham - 2017-05-30 9:35 PM Is a 2016 Chevy Colorado Duramax adequate to tow a light BP trailer with no dressing room and one horse? I have no experience hauling and this is my first truck and trailer. I crunched the numbers and we seem to be well-within capacity. Truck's GVCWR is 12,700 and curb weight is around 4,700 (I did not weigh it myself yet). The wheelbase is similar to a Suburban (130") and it comes with an exhaust brake as part of the towing package. Trailer is aluminum on steel frame and 1500lbs unladen per the title. Horse is admittedly large at 17h but does not do well with others so will be traveling exclusively solo. I'm hoping to do short local trips a few times a month, with the max distance of about 2 hours away for a particular location once or twice a year. Mid Atlantic region so not flat but not the Rockies either. I don't anticipate towing more than 3,500lbs. I got the smaller diesel because I drive at least 60 miles a day to either work or the barn. A small gas daily driver and separate tow vehicle sounds lovely but is not in the cards at the moment. I'm a numbers person so I thought I could have my cake and eat it too with the mini Duramax, but I do lack in experience. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? I love driving the truck so far and 30+mpg is awesome, but I need to be safe too.
 The diesel and trailering equipment gives the 2016 Colorado Duramax the ability to tow a 7,600-pound trailer including load.

Edited by PaulChristenson 2017-10-02 11:07 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)