'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Living quarters conversion

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-06-12 9:07 AM
6 replies, 9575 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Traildraft
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-05-23 9:09 AM (#169925)
Subject: Living quarters conversion

New User

Newbie here. Does anyone have experience in converting a stock gooseneck trailer to living quarters? I I'm weighing the option versus just buying a factory LQ.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Okstcwboy
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-05-23 12:33 PM (#169928 - in reply to #169925)
Subject: RE: Living quarters conversion

New User

It's time consuming, but not at all that difficult if you're handy. You get what you put into it. If tastes are simple, it's probably cheaper to build. Remember that you won't be adding a lot of value as it won't meet specific codes. I've built one myself
Was able to convert full LQ in trailer with 4ft shortwall. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Traildraft
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-05-24 11:18 AM (#169938 - in reply to #169928)

New User

Hey thanks. Still weighing some options.
stacih
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-05-29 4:28 PM (#169966 - in reply to #169925)

I am in the beginning process of fixing up an old 82 trailer with a 7 ft 10 inch dressing room. My husband has redone all the metal and flooring now i have to fix up the rest. This old trailer does not even have a divider wall between the horses and the to be camper. I have been looking online and found a website in the past toddredwrench.com that shows complete step by step in redoing a trailer, but now the site does not work. Does any one know where it has gone or do yall have a link for another site that has examples on framing, wiring and finishing? I have plenty of ideas and have been searching past posts but am coming up empty handed especially on the wiring side. Thanks for any advice.
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2017-05-30 10:10 AM (#169968 - in reply to #169925)
Subject: RE: DIY Living quarters conversion

Veteran

Yes it is very doable to complete your own LQ conversion. Obviously the degree of finishing is entirely dependent on your capabilities.
I did ours about 5 years ago. It took about 5 months of 'spare' time to get it completed, but it is serving us well.
I highly recommend you spend considerable up front time designing, sketching, and doing full scale layout and a cardboard/2x2 mockup inside the trailer. You need to take into account everything from material thickness' to actual appliance dimensions. With a 7' short wall, every inch is valuable. Try to keep weight in mind when designing and selecting components.
As far as electrical is concerned, I suggest you make everything possible 12 volt. You are stuck with 120v for AC, and a microwave, but everything else can be 12v or LP if you want. I did use a 120v/LP hot water heater, a 12v OR 120v refrigerator/freezer, and an AC. All lights, exhaust fan and water pump are 12v. This allows us to run everything from battery/solar except when needing the AC or the uwave.
Plumbing is also interesting in a confined space, but using PEX water lines and using dead space for drains makes it possible. I did manage to get 2 sinks, small shower, and a toilet in ours.
A 7' short wall is a small area, but it is livable for short periods. Actually lived in ours for 7 weeks while starting our new place. It's just a Good thing the weather was decent.
There are many on this site who have done conversions, so ask when you have questions.

(IMG_2056.JPG)

(IMG_2054.JPG)

(IMG_2055.JPG)

(IMG_2056.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2056.JPG (47KB - 14 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2054.JPG (43KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2055.JPG (40KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2056.JPG (47KB - 10 downloads)
stacih
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-06-05 2:45 PM (#170002 - in reply to #169968)
Subject: RE: DIY Living quarters conversion

Thank you so much for the encouragement, your trailer looks awesome. I plan on having a solar system as well. I have practically used up a graph paper notebook drawing everything out. The actual "living room" will be 5 ft 4 inch. The other 30 inches will be shower and tack room. What type of power converter did you install? I have been looking online and they run from $50.00 to $250.00+. I plan on having most everything DC. I am taking it slow and trying to get most of the parts before do the actual building. I got the shower pan, fridge, and windows (put in two yesterday). The fresh water tank will be in the step to the bed; that is where the water pump and power converter/ distribution panel will be. I am trying to figure out what converter to get so that i can then decide what size water tank to buy. Thanks again for the encouragement, Staci.
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2017-06-12 9:07 AM (#170048 - in reply to #169925)

Veteran

I used the Progressive Dynamics 60amp panel as it gave plenty of 12v and 110v fuse and breakers go everything I needed. Think it was about $200. You can find them from many sources online.
I also added a 60 gallon h2o tank in the slant corner space that would have been wasted. It is made for that tight corner. I plumbed it for the LQ and put a spigot in the first stall for watering on the road. Has worded very well.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (30KB - 16 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)