'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for 1st LQ trailer, which is the safest and best?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-07-09 2:04 AM
17 replies, 9611 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

qh4me58
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-05-22 8:41 PM (#169922)
Subject: Looking for 1st LQ trailer, which is the safest and best?

New User

Searching for all helpful info on my first purchase of a LQ gooseneck. Prefer 2 horse, better quality, slide out. Thinking of a 4 Star, Elite, maybe Featherlite , Lakota??? Please help. I travel by myself, so I need RELIABILITY!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-05-23 6:12 AM (#169923 - in reply to #169922)
Subject: RE: Looking for 1st LQ trailer, which is the safest and best?

Elite Veteran

I don't own ( or have a stake in ) 4 Star or Elite but have heard many good things about both. Research the other brands on this site during the past year and see what you find
kooner
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2017-05-23 7:15 AM (#169924 - in reply to #169922)

Extreme Veteran

if you are truely new to trailers and LQ's  I would really suggest a 3 horse for re sale value but that said , does not matter if you buy new or used just by the best brand of trailer that you can afford and try to stay away from the low end ones as you will get what you pay for in headaches. I had a friend a few years ago that bought a brand new low end trailer and it fell apart after just a few trips  and when they tried to trade it for a high end one not one dealer would even make an offer for it.    buyer be ware 
qh4me58
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-05-23 7:30 PM (#169931 - in reply to #169922)

New User

Please share your opinions on which are top quality and which are low. I'll assume Bison's are low because there are a lot out there FOR SALE.
ckkoch09
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2017-05-23 7:58 PM (#169932 - in reply to #169922)

I Own a 2005 Featherlight 8587 and have very good luck with it. I have had to replace manger door hinges but the factory was very good at responding and getting the right parts. My biggest complaint is the rear tack with a solid mount saddle rack,  I have to use a little ladder to get the saddles up there when I use all 4 holders. I wish it had a slide but the 13ft  living quarters has a plenty of room in it for me. Everything seems to be done with good quality to me and the trailer just keeps on cruising down the hwy. 
kooner
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2017-05-24 8:01 AM (#169934 - in reply to #169922)

Extreme Veteran

you do not say if your looking for new or used??  I have a C & C but they are no longer in business and they were one of the very best  and used ones still are but are also in high demand as they are good.   used or new Platinum, 4 STar, and a few others are all good. I will not mention names but the low end entry trailers are just that low end and they are ok for limited use and gentle horses that do not paw and kick etc.  
qh4me58
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-05-24 1:55 PM (#169941 - in reply to #169932)

New User

I have been looking at Featherlite thanks for the info!

I'd love to find one a few years old but most likely I'll be buying NEW so I can find all the features I'm hoping for.
Steve-O
Reg. Mar 2016
Posted 2017-05-24 3:01 PM (#169942 - in reply to #169922)

Veteran

From researching trailers over the last couple of years it appears to me that a few of the top of the line trailers are
?- Hart, 4 Star, Elite, Cimarron, Platinum

?Throw Merhow close up there too -  I am sure there are more.

?Lakota has a good following for the price it appears.
?  
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-06-05 9:14 AM (#169998 - in reply to #169922)

Expert

Stick with something that you can find service for where you'll be hauling.  All shops will generally welcome the high end quality trailers in for service, with the unknown brands or lower end stuff being hit or miss.  I'm not sure a slide out would be something that a first timer would want to hassle with.  They leak, they get stuck, someone parks next to you and then you can't slide yours out, etc. 
Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2017-06-08 10:11 AM (#170024 - in reply to #169922)

Regular

What area of the country are you in?  There are some brands that are more known on the eastern side others on the western side, that are well built trailers.  Besides searching on here, there is a huge LQ group on FB that has great ads.  (as well as more "local areas" that have trailers for sale.  I sold mine on one of those).  The 2H ones are hard to find, the 3H is the most popular (or 4H).  I have a 3H now, we usually only take 2 but that front stall (has a stud panel) is used for storage and could be used for "mud room" (there is a door from the bathroom into that first stall) if need be.  For LQ trailers, the 3 brands that I have had are 4 Star, SilverLite, and now a Sooner Premier.  I fell ALL have been very well built, nice trailers.  I know Sooner went through a "rough patch" for a time, but this trailer is really nice, so many nice options for the horses (& us too!
AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2017-06-11 6:32 PM (#170041 - in reply to #169922)

Veteran

Our first LQ was a 1998 Travalong 3h, all steel hog. It had a dinette, full fridge, micro, separate shower/toilet, lots of cabinets. We upgraded to a new-to-us Sundowner...4h, 8' wide, 36' nose to tail, sink in bathroom, couch, no dinette, mangers (love the storage)...no slide, as we go  on rough roads and were wisely advised about maintenance, etc...

?So,  when we decided to sell the first LQ, we looked at several new and used...elite, 4star, exiss...we wanted a couch, 8' wide, we were not in the market for a 4 horse but the deal was right for the Sundowner...extra space is nice. Lost some storage in LQ...forced me to re-evaluate the essentials..
?So, my 2cents: make a list of must haves, would be nice to have, and then the 'nice add on but not a deal breaker' for the layout, extras...and then go look at the brands you like....when we found the Sundowner, it was next to the trailer we went to originally look at....and then we saw it, and well...we bought it. We love the trailer. We can fit 5 full size people in the LQ area....lots of space.

?Good luck.
diamonddventures@gma
Reg. Jun 2017
Posted 2017-06-20 4:28 PM (#170107 - in reply to #169922)

New User

You are correct steer clear of Bison Poor design and no service
Dixie Horse and Mule
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2017-06-21 2:07 PM (#170108 - in reply to #169922)

Veteran

My advice to any buyer, new or experienced, is to find a trailer that fits your needs, and your pocket book, and just buy it regardless of brand.  If it is US built it meets USDOT requirements and will be just fine.  Of course everyone has their preferences just as in trucks, cars, tractors, etc.  Keep in mind that all components such as appliances, tires, wheels, axles, jacks, awnings, generators, etc., are not made by the trailer manufacturer and the same brand of these components are used on all brands of trailers.  The trailer itself is made by each trailer manufacturer but all the steel, aluminum, etc., on all brands, come from US Steel and Alcoa primarily, and the good welder at one manufacturer today may well be at another manufacturer next month.  I cannot tell you which brand is best.  That is completely subjective.  I can tell you the top two selling brands in numbers of units and in dollars, in living quarters trailers, is Bison and Lakota, and has been for several years.  This was not decided by the manufacturers, but rather by the buyers deciding where to spend their dollars.  I can also tell you, from experience, that these two manufacturers are top notch in after the sale service, as are we here at Dixie.  If you have one of these brands, whether or not you bought it from me, or any other brand we handle, and are having legitimate problems with it, please let me know the details and I can assure you I'll do my best to get you handled as you should be.  We have sold thousands and thousands of these two brands and they would not be on my yard were they not top quality trailers backed up by top quality service.   Thanks, DON SMITH, OWNER, DHMCO 
myhorsekizzy
Reg. Feb 2017
Posted 2017-06-23 5:02 PM (#170118 - in reply to #169922)

New User

Lakota all the way! I just love mine. Very well build. Their slide outs are top notch.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2017-06-23 8:15 PM (#170119 - in reply to #169922)

Expert

Cost is a large determining factor in your search...also, if you consider resale in the future...you might look at a 4 horse as you have some available storage space...

Example here are some used 4 horse LQ C&Cs
https://horsetrailerworld.com/Search/TrailerSearch.aspx?action=search&brand=100&size=6&sort=4
diamonddventures@gma
Reg. Jun 2017
Posted 2017-06-28 8:21 PM (#170172 - in reply to #169922)

New User

4 Star and Elite are great. We haul horses all over Canada and the US from the Yukon to Iowa and most parts in between. My first aluminum trailer was a WW which was like a beer can on wheels but after 20 years it was still in great shape when I sold it. Few minor improvements over the years to account for a cheaper build. We haul an elite stock trailer now and it is impressive design. We also haul a Bison LQ and it is very disappointing. We compare lots of trailers on the road and talk to lots of owners. Lakota quality has come and gone so just be careful the new ones appear good. For the most part I think Lakota issues are just aggravating not serious but it depends on age of the trailer.
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2017-06-29 11:04 PM (#170186 - in reply to #170024)

Extreme Veteran

What's the FB group that has a lot of trailers for sale?
wblaylock
Reg. May 2015
Posted 2017-07-09 2:04 AM (#170228 - in reply to #169922)

----Bloomer-----
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)