'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone know anything about Russ brand horse trailers? Desperate for some info

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-05-02 5:39 PM
1 replies, 4230 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sturla Snorrison
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-05-01 2:44 PM (#169842)
Subject: Anyone know anything about Russ brand horse trailers? Desperate for some info

New User

Hello everyone- I'm new here but was brought to this forum when searching for information about older horse trailers. I recently purchased a 1974 Russ brand 2-horse bumper pull trailer, but the seller had little information on it other then the year, make and VIN#. I cannot find any information about the Russ brand on the internet. It seems like as far as the internet is concerned, Russ trailers do not exist.

Could anyone provide me with a link or other resource that will help me determine which Russ model I have? I would also like to be able to look up the gross weight without paying to have it weighed. Some sort of spec sheet on whatever model it is would be ideal, as I need this information in order to register the trailer in my state. It has no VIN plate currently, so there is nothing on the trailer with the information I need.

Thank you very much for any information anyone might provide, it is much appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2017-05-02 5:39 PM (#169853 - in reply to #169842)
Subject: RE: Anyone know anything about Russ brand horse trailers? Desperate for some info

Veteran

Probably pretty similar to a bunch of steel trailers that where made in the 70's in some shop.  What do you want to know, any faults the trailer had should be pretty apparent by now it is over 40 years old.  as far a s the specs go.... here are my guidelines from another post

if it has 5 lugs it will be a 15 inch tire (225 or 235) you want the 235 as this will give you 3500 lbs per axle and have an 8 inch brake.
if it is 6 lug it could be either a 3500 lbs alxe if it is a 15 inch wheel with a 8 inch brake or a 5200 axle with a 16 inch wheels and a 10 inch brake
8 lug axles(with lug centric hubs like a dodge or chevy) will all have a 16 inch or bigger rim and can be either a 5200 lbs with an 10 inch brake or a 7500 with a 12 inch brake  
8 lug axles with hub centric wheels (they have a little washer that lets the wheel move under the lug when tightened like all 99 and up fords) will have at 17.5 wheel and a 12 inch drum brake or discs these will be 8000 10,000 or 12000lbs.

if it has no vin plate then it will not matter what specs the trailer had when it was built you will need to weigh it, probably provide a bill of sale for the axles and get a homebuilt trailer vin/title for it(the laws are different in each state).  might be cheaper to buy cheap trailer at TSC or harbor frieght, title it at the dmv, then put the plate on your horse trailer.  not entirely legal but it will get you a title/plate for it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)