'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Just thought I'd update on my trailer rebuild

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-07-17 6:38 AM
18 replies, 13728 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2017-04-02 9:26 PM (#169688)
Subject: Just thought I'd update on my trailer rebuild

Horse Trailer before 
Thought I'd share some photos of my 1980 Hale 2 horse trailer that I'm restoring.  I've spent a lot of time on youtube and hot rod forums picking up on auto body restoration techniques.   So I started with this ugly duckling right here.  I envisioned simply sanding it down and repainting it.  The trailer was painted in outdoor house paint and the rust under the paint was HORRIBLE! So I ended up stripping it down to the steel. 

Stripped horse trailer

we ended up managing to get a new center divider welded in with some chest doors. I didn't want to ruin the airy appearance of this horse trailer. I did a lot of body work repair on it and finally put the first coats of paint on it today.  I used Gloss White Rustoleum Professional Enamel cut with mineral oil, penetrol and hardener sprayed from a $40 Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun.  

The results were great!  The trailer is shiny and currently in the garage drying! 

shiny horse trailer

And heres the new divider I built ... and the interior is all painted up fresh too.  I intend to paint the lower half Hunter Green and apply a clear coat after the paint is cured. 

Interior Trailer Center Divider

It aint perfect, but hey, the thing is over 30 years old.  After I get the electrical done up and the new floor boards in (they are currently soaking up used diesel oil to preserve them) it will be ready to go down the road! I cant wait for it to be all done!! Yay!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2017-04-02 9:28 PM (#169689 - in reply to #169688)
Subject: RE: Just thought I'd update on my trailer rebuild

It's too tight of quarters in the garage so I can't get too far back to take a photo of it ....
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-04-03 12:19 AM (#169690 - in reply to #169688)

Expert

Good Job ... You're done well !!

hgut
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2017-04-03 2:35 PM (#169694 - in reply to #169688)

very nice
horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2017-04-03 7:55 PM (#169699 - in reply to #169688)

I'm about 3/4 of the way done so far.  The lower half will be Hunter green following the tell tale contour of the Hale chevron shaped trim on the nose.  There will be diamond plate as the gravel guard, plus it will go on the fenders and on the step ups to keep them from getting scratched up, and on the bottoms of the tackroom door and back doors for added protection. (plus I love how the stuff looks, you know?)

Next I will run the wire for the new electrical system because I am pretty sure what is in there now is all original. I'm putting on all new lights and updating some of the lights that are on there because there werent enough of them.  

The brand new wood floor needs to be painted with diesel oil for protection.  

I'm considering doing some pinstriping here and there, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to do it.  

Looking forward to having this done.  I feel like I really accomplished something yesterday.    I started wet sanding with 1200 today.  I'm going to leave the inside as it is and call it done.  But the outside needs a lot more work yet. 

Heres the concept, but the green will be much darker - the Rustoleum Hunter Green 

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2017-04-07 1:23 PM (#169721 - in reply to #169688)

Expert

nice job 
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2017-04-07 3:45 PM (#169723 - in reply to #169688)

Expert

arielremos
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2017-04-08 5:40 PM (#169726 - in reply to #169688)

Congratulations on a phenomenal job!
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2017-04-14 9:09 AM (#169758 - in reply to #169688)

Veteran

just going to through this out there, I love rustoleum paint, I have painted several cars with it my hitch wagon, trailers, and  manure spreaders etc,  I would not pain the green on the bottom of a horse trailer though.  The darker colors like hunter just show wear so easily, The paint just does not get as hard as normal automotive paint.  JMHO 
horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2017-04-17 10:59 PM (#169780 - in reply to #169758)

HOUSE - 2017-04-14 10:09 AM

just going to through this out there, I love rustoleum paint, I have painted several cars with it my hitch wagon, trailers, and  manure spreaders etc,  I would not pain the green on the bottom of a horse trailer though.  The darker colors like hunter just show wear so easily, The paint just does not get as hard as normal automotive paint.  JMHO 

Well actually no, Rustoleum does quite well, there's some tricks to getting it to do what you want. I was doubtful too but you just have to do a LOT of homework to get the correct mix ratio and it will harden just fine. If you use it right out of the can, or only add mineral spirits ... yeah ... you're gonna have a bad time.

Rustoleum needs to be thinned with mineral spirits.
DO NOT use acetone like some say you should. Wash off a brush full of rustoleum in a bowl full of acetone and you'll see the paint grain up. That's what it's doing ON your trailer. Mineral spirits is recommended. Use it. Acetone does NOT make it dry faster and harder.

Use hardener for oil based enamel. I asked Rustoleum and while they said it doesnt need any hardener, every body person I spoke to said use hardner. After messing about with a few suggestions, I found the hardener for the tractor and implement paint at Tractor Supply did a SUPER job at drying the paint fast and making it hard.

At two weeks, i can scratch my nails across the surface and there's no scratches. I had to sand pretty swift to get the paint to sand smooth. No softy paint there. It's actually working pretty amazing, to be honest.

I tried the green with the hardener over an old metal door from a shed, no clear coat, and it's been outside for four months. It's hard and standing up well. The secret to putting one color over another is that you need to let the first coat sit a few weeks, sand it, and let it sit another week to finish curing well (someone said off gassing ...). Works great. I wanted that green because it will be easy touch up. I have an HVLP gun so I'll be touching up with that. I'll also be applying 2 coats of clear coat, possibly 3, and buffing.

I got these rustoleum tips from a big hot rod forum online as well as a body painting group on facebook. They even suggested the hardener and the methods. These guys paint their show cars with the stuff and I spoke with the for several weeks about paint ratios, techniques, problems, etc. I even got a great ratio for the paint mix and advice on the clear coat.

It was like 10 parts paint, 4 parts mineral sprits, half can of hardener and a small dash of Penetrol. I can get the exact ratios if anyone is interested. This ratio is specifically for use in HVLP guns though several of these guys rolled their paint jobs and they look .... wow ... FANTASTIC!!

** please wear good quality respirator protection when using hardener folks that stuffs no joke.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-04-18 6:30 AM (#169783 - in reply to #169688)

Elite Veteran

Hey Horseygirlfl, I don't need to know the mixture ratio, all I need to know is what address to bring my trailer to in order to have it painted my YOU!!!!! LOL 

Your trailer looks great!

HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2017-04-18 8:45 AM (#169785 - in reply to #169688)

Veteran

Horseygirl, OK I have quite a bit of exerpeince painting cars, hitch wagons and horse trailers with rustoelum stops rust paint.  I got my friend who owns G and F trailers to do his cheap trailer repaints with Stops Rust paint he has probably done 20 or 30 of  them so far.  In my experience darker colors that will have a horse up against them dont do well because the paint even with hardner does not get as hard as automotive paint. the wear does not show as much with the lighter colors, but it still does not hold up like automotive paint. Also the paint fades pretty quick like 3-5 years.  Please dont get me wrong it is a good product for the price, on top of that it is much more forgiving to poor prep, but automotive paint is used by the auto industry for a reason.

Good work on the trailer, it looks great

Edited by HOUSE 2017-04-18 8:47 AM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2017-04-23 11:05 PM (#169815 - in reply to #169688)

Expert

very nice job 
horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2017-05-11 5:30 PM (#169882 - in reply to #169688)

I have four friends with rustoleum paint jobs on their trailers using the mix ratio I sprayed.  Three of them are going on 7 years with their rustoleum paint jobs.  Then again they wash and wax the trailers, so perhaps maintenance is a key to maintaining the trailer.   I dont plan to have this trailer forever, it's just for now because I want something a bit bigger.  But in the meantime I didn't want to pull something ugly. 

So I finished the final coat of green early this morning and I just checked it and it was dry enough to pull the making tape and paper off.

Folks, this isn't hard to do.  I had pretty much no bodywork experience other than watching my Granps and Uncle do body work.  I learned a lot off Youtube, the Jalopy forum and the bodywork and paint group on facebook (very helpful folks on there).  I read ahead and researched stuff and read forums and discussions and called manufacturers and chatted/argued with them.  Rustoleum is still convinced you dont need hardener in their paint, but they need to come over to my house and check this out.  They do. 

I'll be happy to talk to you about what to do, but there is NO way I'm going to do this for other people.  It's too involving and takes too much time. I dont have that kind of time!!  

Anyway, here's an update on how my trailer looks as of 2 hours ago .... if I can figure out how to attach a photo ... lol 

(105.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 105.jpg (51KB - 1 downloads)
horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2017-05-11 5:32 PM (#169883 - in reply to #169688)

Front end ... 

(107.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 107.jpg (37KB - 2 downloads)
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2017-05-12 10:42 PM (#169884 - in reply to #169688)

Expert

I like the color green nice job 
Nitrex
Reg. Jul 2017
Posted 2017-07-13 10:32 AM (#170264 - in reply to #169688)

New User

HorseygirlFL

Help! I've been researching the paint process for my 3 horse slant load steel trailer and could use the help. I am planning to have it sandblasted in a few weeks and paint with Rust-Oleum. I've sprayed a lot of varnishes and Urethanes on cabinetry and other furniture items, but this will be my first big paint project. I've heard the horror stories, but feel pretty confident I can make this trailer look better than before.

I started my body work (fabricated a new tack room door & replace a fender) so I'm ready to blast it and paint. Here is what I'm thinking, but would appreciate feedback:

1. Sandblast
2. Lightly spray with Ospho metal prep
3. Prime (2 coats if needed)
4. Paint 2 coats (hardener added & thinned if needed for my HVLP sprayer w/ 1.7 tip)
5. Clear Coat (if needed - trailer is stored in a fully enclosed machine shed - no sun)

Note: I will be giving heed to the manufacture's recommendations on dry time between coats.

Thanks for any advice...

Nitrex

(18221660_10154659044843613_4253917301518082043_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 18221660_10154659044843613_4253917301518082043_n.jpg (88KB - 2 downloads)
AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2017-07-16 4:30 PM (#170286 - in reply to #169688)

Veteran

Very nice!!

?Bring it out to Phoenix in the summer and you will know how your paint holds up to the brutal desert sun!!

?
stacih
Reg. May 2017
Posted 2017-07-17 6:38 AM (#170291 - in reply to #169688)

Id love to have your ratio for your paint mix! I will be painting a trailer soon. I am painting a white cool roof paint on the top, though not as far down as yours. The bottom will be bright blue. I had a few people state the the bright blue would fade in a few years but Im OK with that. Your trailer looks awesome.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)