'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Xpress trailer/ Rumber floors

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-04-17 2:05 PM
10 replies, 7792 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

journey
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2017-03-12 7:03 PM (#169550)
Subject: Xpress trailer/ Rumber floors

Hi,   I am looking for anyones experience with Xpress trailers,  particularly, Kiefer.   I have never seen this brand but it looks nice in pictures.   I am especially interested due to the rumber flooring.  What other trailers can Rumber be found in?   Do most people have good luck with it?  It seems like it would be so handy.   Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-03-13 1:34 PM (#169562 - in reply to #169550)
Subject: RE: Xpress trailer/ Rumber floors

Extreme Veteran

I am not familiar with Xpress - is this a Kiefer model name?

I am very familiar with Rumber flooring, and think it is one of the best things that has happened to horse trailers in years. Too bad more manufacturers do not offer it. Hawk trailers offers it as an option, and I will not put a new Hawk trailer in inventory without it. We will order one with a wood floor and rubber mats if someone wants one, but haven't had to do so for years.

Rumber is 2" thick tongue and groove, non slip rubber lumber with a 20 year warranty. No mats to drag in and out, just turn the hose on it. Great stuff.
journey
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2017-03-13 4:37 PM (#169566 - in reply to #169550)

Thank you Kay,   I think it sounds awesome too.   The Kiefer xpress is only interesting because of the flooring.  I trained my horse to pee when I whistle so he does not pee in my trailer but if i haul someone else's horse they seem to always pee.   
  I knew Hawk and Dream coach have rumber floors.   Not sure who else.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-03-14 7:57 AM (#169572 - in reply to #169566)

Extreme Veteran

There are a few other manufacturers that will do the Rumber floors. Maybe someone will chime in with names. We have installed Rumber over an aluminum floor once in our shop. Customer did not mind losing 2" of inside height. It was expensive, though.

We sell lots of Hawks with Rumber floors, and we were Dream Coach dealers before they folded. I still have a warmblood sized Dream Coach two horse straight load bumper pull with a Rumber floor and it will never be for sale, even though it is silly for a dealer to have a 10 year old trailer. We had a 17 hand colt with a bad pawing habit that rode many miles in this trailer and never a mark on the floor.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2017-03-14 8:22 AM (#169573 - in reply to #169550)

Elite Veteran

The XPress Trailer Group was out of Hemet, CA. They still show up if you Google them, but they are defunct. They had trailers made for them to private label as XPress. Kiefer made the steel framed ones, and a western manufacturer (Classic maybe?) the all-aluminums as I understand. Cowboy Classics did a lot of the interiors, to XPress' specs. The trailers were to XPress' specs as well, as for some time you couldn't buy a Kiefer with the same options.  

Edited by RTSmith 2017-03-14 8:24 AM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-03-20 3:14 PM (#169609 - in reply to #169550)

Expert

Rumber, can be installed anywhere...find the trailer you like and then tell them that's the floor that will be installed.  (It's your money!)  I skipped Rumber and went with WERM and I can say that I couldn't be happier with it.  I had back surgery nearly 18+ months ago and I literally have a doctors note that says no dragging mats.  Got WERM and an Equalizer jack and haven't slowed down long enough to realize I had back surgery.  I would say a huge no to any Xpress trailer, they are about as flimsy as they come.  A good sturdy frame is really what you are buying, start looking with that in mind.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2017-03-22 8:13 AM (#169613 - in reply to #169550)

Elite Veteran

My .02 cents.
A) The XPress steel framed trailers I've seen were pretty decent. Just my opinion.
B) Rumber cannot be just anywhere. You will often find it used in place of wood, as it is about the same thickness. It does take more crossmembers than wood, so it is not a drop in replacement. With that- virtually no one that I have known, will use Rumber just because you asked. It isn't practical to take a 1/4" aluminum floor out, install a 2" thick floor (AND add more crossmembers) for a single build. Just too inefficient. And would require many changes to doors, walls, stud dividers and more to handle the height change as well.

Don't get me wrong- I think it is good stuff, just requires planning to use it when building a trailer. So if the manufacturer isn't using it, they're not likely to start for you.

Edited by horsey1 2017-03-22 8:14 AM
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-03-22 9:33 AM (#169614 - in reply to #169550)

Extreme Veteran

I can testify that I have tried for years to get some of our manufacturers to offer Rumber flooring and have been unsuccessful. Too many changes in engineering needed. We have, in our our shop, laid a Rumber floor over an existing aluminum floor at the request of a customer. It worked out fine, but 2" of inside height was sacrificed, and it was quite expensive in terms of material and time.
PasoFinosrule
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2017-04-09 6:08 AM (#169732 - in reply to #169550)

New User

I'm having a trailer custom built for me and I had requested a Rumber flooring. The manufacturer initially said "yes" but then told me that he would not put a WERM or Rumber flooring in. He gave me a long explanation...something about expanding and contracting causing a shearing of the bolts which hold it in place?
I went online to see if I could get more information from other horse trailer owners or +/- postings about comparisons of them to wood or aluminum and I had thought that I could use what I found as "amunition" to convince the manufacterer to agree to this again, but I literally could find nothing. 
That made me nervous about pushing the Rumber floor. So, I went with a heavy-duty interlocking aluminum floor with drainage holes....and I'm back to having to deal with the awful, heavy floor mats again, just what I had wanted to avoid! 
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-04-10 8:18 AM (#169735 - in reply to #169550)

Extreme Veteran

I am so sorry that you are going to miss the ease and convenience of a Rumber floor. By now everyone is aware that I am a big proponent of Rumber. First of all, it is screwed down, not bolted, in the applications that I am familiar with. The Hawks have a steel frame, so it is screwed down to steel crossmembers on 12" centers. I have an all aluminum two horse and that Rumber floor is screwed down to aluminum crossmembers. This trailer also has sidewalls lined in a different form of Rumber which looks like smooth rubber matting. I will be sure to let everyone know if we ever find a screw sheared. www.rumber.com
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-04-17 2:05 PM (#169775 - in reply to #169550)

Expert

Get the WERM flooring over the metal floor and kiss those mats goodbye! 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)