'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Light problem with Triple B and J horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-03-17 9:47 PM
8 replies, 5053 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rewis40
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2017-03-11 7:52 AM (#169544)
Subject: Light problem with Triple B and J horse trailer

New User

How do I access wires in trailer? Where are the wires run in the trailer? I think a wire(s) may be broken, and I don't have a manufacturer booklet. Thank you:-)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2017-03-11 10:42 AM (#169545 - in reply to #169544)
Subject: RE: Light problem with Triple B and J horse trailer

Extreme Veteran

Generally, it is pretty easy to trace the wires in a trailer. Start where the light is not working.....the wires will either be exposed and easy to follow or they may be enclosed in a conduit or trailer frame. Just takes a little time. Make sure that the ground wire is also cleanly attached to the frame. A 12v test light also makes finding the problem easier.
Which light isn't working?
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-03-11 2:18 PM (#169546 - in reply to #169544)

Elite Veteran

Are these living quarter lights or running/brake/turn lights?
rewis40
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2017-03-14 1:29 PM (#169576 - in reply to #169545)

New User

Clearance Lights (CL), on right side, neither works. CL on right rear works, but front CL doesn't. Big CL on back does work.
CL that was working, I took it off, and changed it with one not working, and it would not work in that place.
Right hand side talelight, blinker, brake, and hazard works. Running light doesn't.
Then when I cut running lights on, the blinkers, brake, hazard, don't work on either side.
I plugged a set of magnetic emergency lights, I purchased from orielys auto, into 7 prong adapter, they all work like should.
I have a GMC Sierra 4x4 with towing package. I also checked my fuses under hood three times.
I would? greatly appreciate any information you can offer.
Thank you for replying.
Triple B and J Trailers, owned and operated by Bobby Toddy located in AR, has changed telephone numbers due to shutting down for a while, but I understand they are building trailers again. I haven't been able to find new contact number.

rewis40
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2017-03-14 1:31 PM (#169577 - in reply to #169545)

New User

Clearance Lights (CL), on right side, neither works. CL on right rear works, but front CL doesn't. Big CL on back does work.
CL that was working, I took it off, and changed it with one not working, and it would not work in that place.
Right hand side talelight, blinker, brake, and hazard works. Running light doesn't.
Then when I cut running lights on, the blinkers, brake, hazard, don't work on either side.
I plugged a set of magnetic emergency lights, I purchased from orielys auto, into 7 prong adapter, they all work like should.
I have a GMC Sierra 4x4 with towing package. I also checked my fuses under hood three times.
I would? greatly appreciate any information you can offer.
Thank you for replying.
Triple B and J Trailers, owned and operated by Bobby Toddy located in AR, has changed telephone numbers due to shutting down for a while, but I understand they are building trailers again. I haven't been able to find new contact number

beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2017-03-14 7:01 PM (#169578 - in reply to #169577)

Extreme Veteran

Just sent you long email.....basically, check and clean all ground connections....at each light as well as main ground connection from truck.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-03-15 12:03 PM (#169581 - in reply to #169544)

Expert

From your description, it sounds like grounds at each light may be a problem. Make yourself a test light from a socket and a bulb that is used in your lights. (It will be a spare bulb after you do the testing) A voltmeter is NOT a good test because it doesn't draw enough current. It'll show 12 volts through a bad ground. Using your homemade tester, (after turning on the lights) touch the socket wires to the metal of the trailer and the hot lead of the light. If the test light is on, it means either the bulb is burned out or the ground is bad.

good hunting ...
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-03-15 9:07 PM (#169582 - in reply to #169544)

Elite Veteran

I agree totally with Hosspuller, IMO he nailed it
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-03-17 9:47 PM (#169597 - in reply to #169544)

Expert

The reason a lot of trailers have electrical ground problems is aluminum or bare steel of the ground. A ground connection made at the factory is great. BUT... A little moisture, a bit of time, and vibrations on the road ... work together to loosen and corrode the connection. When you redo the connection... bolt or rivet... a bit of anti-oxide compound between the connection surfaces will keep the connection strong. I use a bit of Noalox at each joint.

Here's a link to the product : http://www.idealindustries.ca/products/wire_installation/accessories/noalox.php 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)