'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hartman Horse Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-01-27 12:38 PM
4 replies, 6882 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2016-05-29 7:56 PM (#167180)
Subject: Hartman Horse Trailers

I bought a 2 horse straight load trailer. Completely by accident I found out it was a Hartman. I found that out as I was googling horse trailers with ramps. I found a few that looked like mine. I began googling hartman and searching for hartman trailer on facebook and found out that mine is somewhere between 1980 and 1985It has some body rust that we started working on today. The frame is in relatively good shape. I found a couple of sheets with a bucketful of patents on their designs. It appears these guys were quite the innovators on horse trailer design. From what I read, these were very good trailers for the time.I googled the company and while I was able to pick up from random discussions that the factory is closed, I read that Trail-et bought them, and then I read that another company bought them. So if you happen to know anything about them, I'd LOVE to hear it. TIA
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2016-05-31 8:16 PM (#167198 - in reply to #167180)
Subject: RE: Hartman Horse Trailers

Elite Veteran

They were very good trailers back in the day. I had an old beat up one for a while.
horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2016-06-04 12:31 PM (#167228 - in reply to #167180)

I'm specifically looking for info on what happened to the company. I know it shut down, but I'm curious why or who took things over.I am trying to get more info. Maybe from someone that used to work there?
ebracy0928
Reg. Dec 2017
Posted 2017-12-06 9:06 AM (#170903 - in reply to #167198)

New User

I AM A FORMER EMPLOYEE AND FAMILY MEMBER OF THE FAMILY THAT MANUFACTURED THE HARTMAN HORSE TRAILERS. MY FATHER IN LAW, SAMUEL PIERCE STARTED THE COMPANY IN PERKASIE, PA. THEY WERE CONSIDERED THE CADILLAC OF THOROUGHBRED HORSE TRAILERS. HE WAS THE FIRST TO COME UP WITH THE FIBERGLASS TOPS. WE ALSO HAD A HORSE AMBULANCE THAT WENT TO ALL THE MAJOR HORSE SHOWS IN CASE OF ANY HORSE INJURIES. WE HAD MANY FAMOUS PEOPLE BUY THE TRAILERS, INCLUDING LINDA BLAIR, STAR OF THE EXORCIST AND JACKIE KENNEDY. SAMUEL PIERCE TOOK GREAT PRIDE IN THESE TRAILERS AND FILED A PATENT IN APRIL, 1960, US3053224. THERE WAS MAJOR CONPETITION IN THOSE DAYS. ONE OF HIS EMPLOYEES STOLE A LOT OF THIS IMFORMATION AND STARTED HIS OWN TRAILER COMPANY. THE COMPETITION TOOK HIM DOWN BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO COMPROMISE AND CHEAPEN ANY PART OF HIS TRAILERS. HE TRULY LOVED HIS HORSES AND THE WHOLE INDUSTRY. ITS GREAT TO HEAR THAT SOME OF THESE TRAILERS ARE STILL AROUND. THE PHILADELPHIA POLICE BOUGHT THESE TRAILERS FOR THEIR MOUNTED POLICE. NICE TO KNOW SOMEBODY ASKS.....THANKS!
popsjohn
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-01-27 12:38 PM (#172159 - in reply to #167180)

New User

Our first horse trailer was a 1957 Hartman with a serial number 57. Purchased in early 1970's. Very solid build. sold it in early 90's when we stop with horses. Still see the trailer sitting in the yard of the couple we sold it to.

We purchased a 1992 Sterling trailer about 3 years ago. Built in Lancaster PA seems as solid as the old Hartman.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)