'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Heaves

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-02-10 1:09 PM
2 replies, 4863 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jayhawk
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2014-12-11 6:03 PM (#162034)
Subject: Heaves

Anyone have a horse diagnosed with heaves? I have a horse that I have been doctoring for 2 months and it seems to come and go. I'm beginning to wonder if the horse will ever get well. My vet prescribed ventipulmin. It's my understanding that he will never be cured but it can be managed. What has your experience been?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2014-12-12 1:09 PM (#162040 - in reply to #162034)
Subject: RE: Heaves

Elite Veteran

I don't think we have dealt with this issue (yet), I would follow your vet's advice, also consider what feed and forage to help. Keep him/her away from dust and mold if possible.
Rockin Y Ranch
Reg. Dec 2014
Posted 2015-02-10 1:09 PM (#162522 - in reply to #162034)
Subject: RE: Heaves

New User

I had a mare that had heaves. We live in Florida, so it progressively became horse. During the long Florida summers, she labored to breathe and had a significant "heave line". Vet prescribed Dexamethosone shots twice a week, but barely managed the symptoms. Keep your horse out of the barn as much as possible - best to let them graze in pasture as dust, shavings aggravates the situation. Be careful to avoid mold around your horse too. Best to steam any hay. It is my understanding that heaves can be hereditary too, if you are considering breeding.http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learning-center/medication-information-for-pet-and-horse-owners/dexamethasone-for-horses.htmlBest of luck with your horse.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)