'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Are Bison Really That Bad?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-07-19 1:02 PM
25 replies, 47462 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

reinergirl$
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-02-23 10:33 PM (#150111)
Subject: Are Bison Really That Bad?

Or is it a matter of it not being a "name brand" item? My husband and I were discussing trailers. We are LQ shopping and for the money, Bison is just so affordable. We went and checked out: Sundowner, Trails West, Exiss, Sooner, and Bison. The top "name brand" ones we can not even begin to afford, even many years used with the features we want. While a couple of the brands we looked at might be a tad bit nicer in a couple ways, I am not entirely sure they are worth the $15-20k more for the same features as a Bison. Our thoughts are maybe it is something like wearing JC Pennys brand jeans vs. Miss Me jeans, its "cooler" to be seen in the Miss Me's. What do you think? And who can share their thoughts and experience with older or newer Bison LQ Trailers? We were just told today that they were the #1 selling trailer last year. That has got to say something for them.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
kooner
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2013-02-24 6:19 AM (#150112 - in reply to #150111)
Subject: RE: Are Bison Really That Bad?

Extreme Veteran

WE pull a trailer around 15,000 miles a year and have owned about every trailer brand that is out there and our Bison that we are now pulling is holding up as well as any of them and Yes I would own another one with out hesatation. The problems that we have had have also happened to the so called top of the line ones.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-02-24 8:34 AM (#150116 - in reply to #150111)

Expert

Perform a SEARCH for the last year. You will find many opinions about this brand.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2013-02-24 12:45 PM (#150120 - in reply to #150111)

"Bison LQ Trailers? We were just told today that they were the #1 selling trailer last year. "

Thats funny, I had a Sundowner dealership and a unrelated Sooner dealership tell me that their product was the # 1 seller last year! So which is it? What facts are the dealers basing their statistics on?

reinergirl$
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-02-24 1:42 PM (#150124 - in reply to #150111)

I have performed a search on them as well as many brands and every brand has their lovers and their haters. Bison has no more issues than any other brand you do a search on for reviews. The people that tend to bad mouth Bisons are the other trailer dealers. When we ask them how brand "x" compare to Bison, they trash on Bison. I am realistic in knowing that every single trailer needs upkeep and that when you are traveling down the road that there will occasionally be parts and pieces that fail or need tightening, fixing and replacing. A perfect example is in the RV industry. My parents had a top of the line coach, they had plumbing leaks in the shower that saturated their floor and cause thousands of dollars in repair work, they had slide out issues, cook top problems, and jack leveling issues over a 5 year period and they did not use it but a handful of times a year and not ever on dirt roads. We had a cheaper RV that we have had for 12 years that was used and abused, hauled our three horse all over and the only issue we had was the seal around the toilet leaked and a couple light fixtures needed tightening and the fridge went out. Our RV sounded like an earthquake of wheel driving it sometimes, my parents was smooth sailing on the road. Their RV cost over double what ours cost. I love to hear from people who actually have used the product.
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2013-02-24 9:49 PM (#150131 - in reply to #150111)

Veteran

Like everyone says, you'll find people who have had problems with every brand. Get what is affordable to you and what has the features you need and want. Look at previous threads on here and see if there is anything that you have overlooked on them. Enjoy.

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2013-02-25 6:25 AM (#150134 - in reply to #150111)

Extreme Veteran

Aren't the Bison trailers a steel\aluminum combo thus the lower cost?
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2013-02-25 6:42 AM (#150135 - in reply to #150134)

Expert

Originally written by blackcows on 2013-02-25 6:25 AM

Aren't the Bison trailers a steel\aluminum combo thus the lower cost?

The Trail-Express and Aluma-Sport are steel frame aluminum skin. The Stratus model is all aluminum...

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2013-02-25 9:03 AM (#150144 - in reply to #150120)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by brushycreekranch on 2013-02-24 12:45 PM

"Bison LQ Trailers? We were just told today that they were the #1 selling trailer last year. "

Thats funny, I had a Sundowner dealership and a unrelated Sooner dealership tell me that their product was the # 1 seller last year! So which is it? What facts are the dealers basing their statistics on?

Since pretty much everyone is privately held, there isn't much verifiable data out there. But- I had two different large & respected trailer manufacturers tell me Bison was making more LQs than anyone (one of them you mentioned, and the other one is probably number 2)

Edited by horsey1 2013-02-25 9:04 AM
reinergirl$
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-02-25 9:31 AM (#150146 - in reply to #150111)

I guess I should have mentioned that the dealer that told me Bison sold more LQ's than any other company also carried two other "higher end" named brand trailer companies. At that point, they had no idea what brand I was interested in (and either did I).
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-02-25 10:07 AM (#150148 - in reply to #150111)

Expert

Many sales people, in an effort to make a sale, will tell you anything that will enhance their position. With a little prior knowledge, it is quite easy to spot a sales pitch from an informative discussion. There are honest people willing to accurately describe their wares. There are some persons that know little, and say whatever you want to hear. Before you even try to evaluate the product you're seeking, you should first know the type of person with whom you are communicating. It may take a second or third try before you can  find a legitimate representative.

A few weeks ago I was trailer shopping, and looked at a trailer that was advertised as "NEW", being less than one year old. The factory placarded ID tag indicated it was built in Mar of 11. The installed ST Chinese tires being sold as new, already had half of their expected life span spent in the parking lot.

You cannot depend on sales people, to provide you with all the relevant information you need, and should know before making a purchase.

reinergirl$
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-02-25 10:26 AM (#150149 - in reply to #150148)

I agree that there are some less than desirable sales people out there, for the most part I have had a decent experience with sales people. My dad sold trucks and high end cars for his whole life and had a customer base that followed him wherever he went, including 500 miles away. My husband is a well respected and liked sales rep for several of the top equestrian tack lines and has done this for 20 years. I have sold horse barns for 10 years. So you are talking to a well versed family of no BS sales people. Car dealers hate me when we go car shopping as I do not tolerate the typical car salesman pitch and way of dealing or I walk out. While you may have had a bad experience or two with sales people, I would be cautious to say that they are all that way. The sales person I referenced to has been selling horse trailers for years and had no idea what trailer brand we were interested in and in that moment, we happened to be standing in a Exiss LQ and I inquired as to of their 3 brands, what trailer was most popular and why. She gave me straight no BS answers. I appreciated what she said and the advise she gave us.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-02-25 11:47 AM (#150152 - in reply to #150111)

Expert

I know a little about sales, having been in the business for several decades. It is a welcomed treat, to meet an honest representative that is knowledgeable about his product. In today's environment, many sales people, like horse dealers, are vagabonds, moving about as conditions dictate. When you need a follow up for a problem or an explanation, frequently they are long gone.

You can learn a lot from a knowledgeable representative, or get burnt by a shady sales effort. It's best to know the people with whom you are dealing.

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2013-02-25 3:23 PM (#150156 - in reply to #150111)

Regular

I purchased a Bison Trail hand last year and like it. They are pretty popular around here for a more inexpensive weekend warrior like myself. My complaints with the Trail Hand series so far are as follows: ~It has the real thin aluminum skin and dents easily on outside. ~The dividers in-between the horses heads don't run high enough or far enough back to prevent some larger horses from "sticking their head over" if not tied short and they are nosey. ~The face guards are pretty lightweight. I have no complaints with the living quarters part so far. I ride with people that have used them since 2007, and have pretty good luck, so I took the chance. So far I am satified. I paid $23,000 (bought in June 2012- mfg. date Feb. 2012)for a brand new 8'SW, 3 horse, fold out couch, electric awning, stove top, etc. Next closest thing to that price for the same features was $30,000 around here. I can live with those complaints for $7Ksavings. You have to decide if it's worth it to you. I also use a stock trailer for local riding, so Bison is only used for overnight trips. The "high end" trailer people may look down on you a little, depending on your crowd. Just my observations so far. I went to this from a 2000 2 horse Sundowner Valuelite. (By the way, I got almost $8k on that Sundowner on a trade and it wasn't on the dealers lot for more than a couple months :)

Edited by Jaas 2013-02-25 3:26 PM
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2013-02-26 8:13 AM (#150182 - in reply to #150111)

Not to highjack thread, but would really like to know where they got the statistics to say Bison was #1 in retail sales? Were they talking on their lot or nationally? Were they talking about #1 saler in their class? In their state? Not complaining but curious. I just don't understand how 3 different trailer representatives can state that to consumers without something to back it up. I would think somewhere, there is an "official" annual record kept of #  of units manufactured & # of units sold of each and every trailer brand made.

Pintolady
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2013-02-26 7:00 PM (#150195 - in reply to #150111)

Regular

Do your homework before you buy.Trailers are not cheap.Go to a equine affaire or the QH congress in columbus Ohio or a large Equine trade show with a notebook and look at them all.You will have lots of different brands to choose from.Write down what you like and dont like of each brands.Dont get star struck on all the bling look at the floors, welds, quality,strangth of the trailer.Your homework will pay off.I even got under each one to look at the floors and structure.Know what you want for style 2 horse,4 horse LQ no LQ,8 wide, 7 wide, what ever then go look.For me I found that the Merhow was the way to go because of the Quality of the build. Happy shopping. Don't be in a hurry.
Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2013-02-27 12:21 PM (#150208 - in reply to #150111)

Regular

I sell Platinum trailers...a high end brand....so I understand the dilemma on price vs quality....I think you buy what you can afford and take extra care of it so you get the most years out of it that you can....The high end brands are built to take hard road miles and some abuse and still keep on ticking...these are what the pros pull...on the other hand, if you are a trailer rider or weekend warrior, you can get by with an "entry level" trailer because you won't be as hard on it...the downside is resale value....Bison does not have good resale and as a dealer, I would offer less for the entry level brands than for the top names like Platinum, Elite, and 4-Star....if it's worth it to you, then make your best deal and enjoy the trailer....

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2013-02-27 1:23 PM (#150211 - in reply to #150111)

Cindy, while I agree with some of what you said, I have to disagree with you on Bison's resale value.  When expressed as a percentage of it's initial cost, on my yard, Bison's return on investment is as high as any brand.  Everyone has an opinion as to which brand is the best, and I'd sure never argue on that!  I can tell you that Bison is by far the number one LQ of all the brands in number of trailers registered annually, and has been for several years.  That does not make them the best, it simply means customers have bought more of them than any brand of LQ.  Quality rankings are subjective.  Dollars are not.  Bison is one of my brands.  Lakota and Sundowner are my other two.  I do not have a favorite.  We always tell customers there is not a bad brand out there.  Choose the one that fits you and your purse regardless of brand.  Of course I surely hope it will be one of mine!  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.
reinergirl$
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-02-27 1:24 PM (#150213 - in reply to #150208)

Yes Cindy I agree with you on many levels. I show reiners and am one of the highest rated non pros on the west coast but I do this all on a shoestring. As much as I would love a Platinum, 4 Star. Twister or Bloomer, my budget is just not there. I do spend time going down the road and make a couple trips a year traveling 1800 miles one way, so safety is a big concern. This will be our first LQ trailer. We have seen many brands and drooled at the higher end ones. I am not sold on a Bison, however they are one that could be within our budget. It is a hard and tough decision. Part of me goes back to buying a steel LQ like Trails West vs. the cheaper lines of LQ's (used on both) just because I know Trails West has been around forever and while I know steel needs maintaining, they are still a great trailer.
Trailer maker
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-03-03 8:49 AM (#150317 - in reply to #150111)

New User

As a former trailer manufacturer,(I owned two of the trailer co's you named) I consider the Bison trailer that is being produced today to be of good quality. It may be the best value in today's LQ market. The other brands you mentioned are also good quality trailers that are typically higher priced when considering similar models and options.
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2013-03-03 12:49 PM (#150331 - in reply to #150111)

Extreme Veteran

Reiner Girl- Have you tried looking for a used higher end trailer, like 8-10 years old? There seem to be many out there in good shape for reasonable prices.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-03-03 2:27 PM (#150335 - in reply to #150111)

Expert

Aluminum is sold by the pound. Labour is paid for by the hour. Every business has overhead expenses, that can vary from their competitors, but are still figured in the costs of producing a product, and meaning a great deal in the final profit.

A trailer of X dimensions needs a certain amount of material to construct the unit, and it takes x amount of labour to effect its construction. Management has taken decades of research to lower productions costs, to make their sales the most profitable as possible. The only way to lower these expenditures, is to reduce the material, labour and overhead costs.

Less expensive materials can be used. A thinner product, a less expensive strength can be substituted. These changes are very difficult to detect after the trailer is built. Smaller amounts of products can be used. Less expensive assembly techniques can be substituted. If two equally sized trailers sit side by side and one weighs many hundreds of pounds more, which do you think will be more durable? If a door frame on one has extra gussets and the other doesn't, which do you think is more susceptible to racking? If one manufacturer has solid door frames and the other doesn't, which will provide the best long term durability?

If one has door hinges of large bosses and nylon inserts, do you think it will be more durable than a thin boss with a steel pin against the aluminum hinge? Do you think a door with two hinges is as strongly located as one of twice as many hinges? Do you think a skin attached only by tape is as strong as one with tape and rivets. Do you think a quick, poorly run welded bead, splattered into place, is as strong as one put down with skill and time?

Two new trailers sitting in a lot are very similar looking. A few years down the line, things will drastically change and the least expensive new price, may not be the best value. It has been stated that a used trailer is the best value. I concur. If a decade old trailer is in good shape, it proves its construction was solid and it was well maintained. That can be added to the "BEST" lists, of which everyone is so concerned. A poorly built trailer will show its problems with age, with parts wearing out and breaking.

Two good trailers, because they share common materials and construction costs will be similarly priced. One that is significantly less expensive, will have specific reasons why it is so. Before it is considered and purchased, one should perform diligence to know why there are disparities in costs. Some manufactures over charge based on name brands, bling and hype. The middle of the road manufacturers, because there are many, can be compared more accurately, model to model. Due diligence...due diligence.

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2013-03-03 4:08 PM (#150338 - in reply to #150111)

Regular

As is true with most any product.  Driving vehicles also.  I also drive a Chevy Equinox for work.  While I'm sure a Volvo, Cadilac, Lincoln, Mercedes to be more safe, constructed of better materials and perhaps better labor, the Equinox has worked fine for me.

When comparing a $23K Bison trailer to a $50k+ 4-star/platium/etc trailer obviously they aren't comparable.  They are less than half the price for a reason.  Just as an Equinox is not comparable to a Escalade.

Everyone has different budgets and priorities in life.  For my use of weekend camping/riding the Bison is doing fine.

For my budget and priorities in my early 40's with a paid for Bison trailer fits me like a glove.  I also don't know that I would drop $50k+ on a trailer even if I had it in cash.  I'm a weekend trailrider.  I'm not "living" in my living quarters.

Different strokes for different folks.  I'm not ashamed to be an "Equinox" kind of guy.  They're building those Bisons for a reason......people are buying them!  I also don't have "caution show horses" on the back door either.

T210DRVR
Reg. Apr 2013
Posted 2013-04-12 10:21 AM (#151252 - in reply to #150111)

Having had a few fifth wheel RV's and Horse trailers I have a few observations. First, all manufacturers look at ways to trim costs. The most expensive brands and low end units will have issues. Often, plumbing items like pumps and fixtures will be the same on a wide range of brands. Why? Because they are made in volume for the entire RV industry so they are cheaper. Beyond that there are some differences below the skin that may make a trailer more durable. Do your homework and look at the frame and structure. Talk to other owners. Don't disregard one brand because a single owner had a bad experience.

If you are a weekend warrior and don't travel 20,000 miles a year buy the one that has the features you want at a price point you can afford. Bison has some economies that others don't. Being owned by a large company like Monaco they benefit from volume pricing on materials that some smaller companies do not. They also have had experience engineering a wide variety of RV's and know what works and what doesn't. I have close to 75,000 miles on a Holiday Rambler 37' Toy Hauler. They are made by Monaco and it has been a fantastic RV for us.

I looked at the construction of quite a few units before buying a Bison Status Express and feel that it is a good value for the money. Is it good for someone that travels the Rodeo circuit and drives over 30,000 miles a year? Probably not. But for a weekend warrior that will travel less than 5,000 miles a year and will be stored indoors it will probably last me for the rest of my riding days.

Probably the most important aspect of buying from a dealer is their reputation. A really good pre-delivery inspection will catch a lot of items that may be trouble down the road. A good dealer will do a very thorough inspection as it's the single most important thing that he does to insure a happy customer.
danigirl
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2013-05-13 1:34 PM (#151957 - in reply to #150111)

I have owned a Bison Stratus (4 horse)LQ with push out and now a 2012 Trail Hand (3 horse). I have had nothing but good luck with these trailers. We bought ours at Allendale in Red Deer, Alberta. Service guys were great! We go out on the weekends camping with the horses and find that this trailer is easy to park and move around. We customized it ourselves using a little ingenuity. We tore up the tops of the inside stairs and put velcro on the lids for new storage area. We added shelves in the big cupboard and ikea rope lighting under the cupboards. We mirrored the wall in mirror tiles behind the sink. Added a soap dispenser in the shower and lots of over the cupboard holders and hooks. We put a new thick comfort foam for the bed and added a mattress warmer to it. TV with DVD and now we are good to go. All totalled improvements were about $100. It is so cute and comfy. I would buy another. Totally affordable with warranty. Came with power awning and power leg to boot. Paid $27,995 + tax in 2012. It is a mix of aluminum and steel and we shelter it in the winter. It is what we need for our weekend warrior use. I don't think Bison is bad as this same unit in Trails West (like them too) was around $10,000 more for the same thing. Why have so much money sitting in your yard for much of the year. I believe Bison is good value.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)