'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Power to appliances when generator not running?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-04-06 2:10 PM
5 replies, 4306 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

greyghost
Reg. Jan 2013
Posted 2013-01-23 10:44 AM (#149496)
Subject: Power to appliances when generator not running?

Hi all - I'm a trailering newby. Looking at some trailers that have generators but was told the fridge doesn't work until you turn on the generator. I will be doing primarily endurance events (and then some fun camping) where I can't run my generator at night - and I'm assuming you don't run it as you're traveling -- so I'm wondering.....is this a bad set-up? How do you keep your food cold when you can't turn on the generator? Doesn't this negate even having a fridge if it can't switch to propane or battery when the generator is not running? What is the set-up I should be looking for to use the fridge when the generator is not running? Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2013-01-23 12:58 PM (#149501 - in reply to #149496)
Subject: RE: Power to appliances when generator not running?

Elite Veteran

If you have an all- electric trailer then you will need either shore power or a generator.  If the refrig is a 2 way or 3 way, it will work off propane, battery, or electric.
AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2013-01-23 7:43 PM (#149508 - in reply to #149496)

Veteran

Our fridge is electric and propane. We have it plugged in while at home and when we are on the road driving and parked camping, it is on LP gas.
OregonTrails
Reg. Dec 2012
Posted 2013-01-24 12:51 PM (#149519 - in reply to #149496)

New User

Most of the endurance riders I know, including myself, have fridges that run on propane when the generator is off. We sometimes have to dry-camp for 8 days or more and usually only turn generators on to recharge batteries or cook something in the micro-wave. My fridge has a switch that enables either propane and/or generator.
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2013-01-25 9:49 PM (#149547 - in reply to #149496)

Extreme Veteran

I have seen trailers that have added a small "bar" type fridge that is not thought of as an RV fridge, but a small fridge for home use. I've never figured out who they are geared towards, unless it is the horse show crowd, that have plug in's at a horse show, and fill fridge after arrival.

Get a rig that has a fridge that will go on propane too. Otherwise, you might as well just use an Ice Chest
poshponies
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-04-06 2:10 PM (#151120 - in reply to #149496)

Regular

I have a diesel truck so am not worried about gasoline sparks if I need to stop at a gas station (would turn off the tanks anyway at that point), but is it a bad thing to leave the fridge on propane while driving? Looking for pros/cons.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)